What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Traded the Rubicon to the kids for the weekend. They headed to Colorado. No worries, they are fully trained on 4WD and chains and such.

Really, really nice to be cruising in Bert. Like, gettin' slightly tearful and such. So many thousands of miles of awesomeness...

Oh, and lady across the street from sideswiped wifey's outback with her Liberty this morning. Told the insurance guy "gimme 4k and I'll fix both". Both vehicles stock colors and already sourced popNswap junkyard panels- no paint needed.

Of course this happens right when gonna trade it in for a 2 door JL.
Just LOL Johnny, LOL.
Glad you pop in from time to time to let us know what Bert and you are up to. How is Bert running these days after been driven by the offspring for several months?

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Glad you pop in from time to time to let us know what Bert and you are up to. How is Bert running these days after been driven by the offspring for several months?
Same as ever. Ain't fast, looks like was designed by a mildly deranged redneck, but handles whatever! However, pushing 200k, she's showing her age. I suspect the 42RLE is nearing end of life. Number six is still wonky even after a rebuild, but always was. Fuel burp has returned even after a rebuild. Yadda Yadda.
Only reason I made the kids take KHAAAAN! to 'rado is there is no risk of having to drive out for a rescue...well that and I jumped on the chance to do a little swamping, fording, and rescuing of wannabe Wrangler river rats since they doing their last Platte River run of the season.

I still laugh maniacally when rescuing the pavement princesses and motherduckers with a "grocery-getter" Jeep. LOLOLOLOl

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Yup. I trimmed the pockets so the JBA upper control arms have more room to articulate. I painted the cut sections of metal afterwards and the paint is not rubbed off, so it looks to me like no contact.

Suspecting the ball joints are not tight enough now. I could not use my torque wrench on them when I put them in because they would spin in place, so I held the threaded part with one wrench and turned the nut with another. Definitely they are not to spec. Going to take the wheels off and tighten those this weekend. Will report back. Fingers crossed.
Can't remember- you running Moog lowers right? Also, how them tie rods looking?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't remember- you running Moog lowers right? Also, how them tie rods looking?
Yup, I installed the Problem Solvers and everything in the front end suspension is new OEM or Moog.

Tie rods ends are reasonable. The rack is leaking on the passengers side and a boot is torn. The inner tie rod on that end twists a little too freely. A new steering rack will be in its future.

You must be registered for see images attach

However, my clunk sound is on the drivers side. It is definitely some looseness somewhere and not an articulation thing because it happens when the Jeep hits sharp bumps, but not big humps or dips that flex it out. And it is not steering induced.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh and I found out I have a leaky axle seal on the passenger front. :(

I will add that to my list. I have a leaking transmission pan, and a leaking rear main seal too. Not terrible yet. I will replace both when I eventually install that 80,000 mile transmission sitting on my porch.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Upper ball joint nut tightened. I didn’t have to take the tire off to get to it. Noise still exists.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got into the driveshaft u-joints tonight. Rock auto screwed me again. They have Dana 5213x joints listed as “manual trans” models under the 2007 tab. Well, they’re not. The cap to cap length is 3/8” too long. Now I get to fight with RA over returns, because their return program deemed the parts used (I installed the grease zerks and filled them with grease).

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, I installed the Problem Solvers and everything in the front end suspension is new OEM or Moog.

Tie rods ends are reasonable. The rack is leaking on the passengers side and a boot is torn. The inner tie rod on that end twists a little too freely. A new steering rack will be in its future.

However, my clunk sound is on the drivers side. It is definitely some looseness somewhere and not an articulation thing because it happens when the Jeep hits sharp bumps, but not big humps or dips that flex it out. And it is not steering induced.
I wouldn't rule out that inner tie rod as your clunk even though it sounds like it's coming from somewhere else. Also, how's the play on the leaky axle? Could be a worn bearing/bushing, they are plastic me thinks?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out that inner tie rod as your clunk even though it sounds like it's coming from somewhere else. Also, how's the play on the leaky axle? Could be a worn bearing/bushing, they are plastic me thinks?
I’ll have a look at that soon. It was raining today so I had to wait to look into it. I’ll torque those ball joints as well so we can rule them out.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finished my driveshaft tonight. I found that the u-joints I ordered are the t-case end u-joint. Rock Auto lists them as both ends. We stopped at O’Reilly’s and I got the other one (two of them since I thought they were the same).

On a much cooler note, during my last oil change, I ran a new wire for a rear wheel speed sensor. It did not change a thing, even though I had power at the new plug. Well, last night, I cut the splices out and reversed the polarity of the leads. It turns out the sensors are polarity sensitive, and I had it wrong. I lost some dash lights, and my cruise control is back. I’m pretty excited about that, though I’d be fine if the traction control and ABS stayed away.

The remaining check engine light is from a faulty fuel sender reading that has been there since I bought the thing.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Got back on Friday to find the remains of the packaging for the new rear A-frame in front of the garage door. Fortunately within what I assume had been a box it was in a a largely intact plastic bag.

In preparation for the job I'd doused the mountings with penetrant, but hadn't noticed the (M6) bolts that secure the parking brake cables. Saturday, I cracked the mounting bolts but because I can't see how you're supposed to open up the clamp for the centre ball joint, I decided I wasn't going to have time to finish the job this weekend.

Today I had another go at preparing to replace the brake hoses (which, with a seal kit foe the right rear caliper) should arrive during the week but wrench isn't a good fit so must assume those nuts aren't metric. I have another, can't remember the size, so will have a look for that along with special vice grips I have for small rounded nuts.

Out of gratitude for my efforts, on my way back to its secure parking, the ABS light came on again, this time with the brake warning light.

All in all next weekend's going to be interesting - but it is getting precariously close to being weighed in for scrap.

KevinJBell001

Reaction score
I came here to get help finding the correct compact disc changer cartridge / magazine. It's an 02 Limited 3.7 2wd. The changer is in the rear passenger qtr panel area. Thats what I did. Can anyone help me? Thank you.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
What is the code on the radio? (Probably something like RQB or somesuch.)

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a new water pump on the 06 Renegade. I haven't seen too many water pumps survive 180k miles so I figured on doing it before it fails. Took about an hour as the tensioner also had to be removed to remove a few bolts

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came here to get help finding the correct compact disc changer cartridge / magazine. It's an 02 Limited 3.7 2wd. The changer is in the rear passenger qtr panel area. Thats what I did. Can anyone help me? Thank you.
Pretty sure they were an Alpine unit - had one in my 02.