What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I am at 9.5 years and 49K on my coolant. I think I'd better get going.

By the way - what do you guys do with the old coolant? When I did mine last I was down in Virginia and can't really remember what I did.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I leave my old antifreeze out in the cold and pour off what doesn't freeze. Good old antifreeze for the leaky old Ford.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Can't say I've ever had to think about it but, given the small amount you'll ever be able to catch [most of it'll just run down the nearest drain/evaporate (thereby avoiding poisoning the neighbourhood dogs)] hardly seems worth worrying about - however responsible/green you are.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve only ever caught enough coolant to dispose a few times. Once, I was so broke, and it was fresh coolant, that I reused the coolant and ran it through coffee filters.

Dumps and transfer stations usually have waste antifreeze tanks near the oil tanks.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered some u-joints today. The axle end on the rear drive shaft is sloppy, so I’ll do both. I also have a leaky front output seal on the t-case, so that will be on the agenda, as well.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the Jeep back today. Nice to finally have her home. Pulled the drivers wheel off the pull the hub assembly off. Prepped the 2 lower overpressure ports in the back to be welded closed. Found out when I was removing the interior previously that someone screwed an aluminum plate in the back cargo area over a hole that formed over the gas tank. Now I am 3 broken bolts in dropping the gas tank to fix the hole, I am going to replace the pump as long as I have the tank down. Urg

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
At some point today my Jeep’s thermostat became unstuck and the temperature made it to 200° instead of 175°. I know a thermostat & coolant replacement will be in the cards soon, but glad I now have some flexibility about when I have to do that job. Also, gas mileage at 175° is really bad, in case anyone was wondering! Like 14 or 15 mpg (normally 17-19 highway).

mudblood

Reaction score
I got a squeek after redoing my shocks and coils. Though i think its the rear upper control arm bushings that are shot, though i gotta save up some money after getting my sub-frame fixed.
I got a squeek after redoing my shocks and coils. Though i think its the rear upper control arm bushings that are shot, though i gotta save up some money after getting my sub-frame fixed.
Put double den stereo and front speakers in.
WeatherTech deflector shields up!
You must be registered for see images attach
I did that too the other day and so glad I did. Big difference!!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Beauty fall day 73F, and I managed to get the KJ detailed substantially.
Even applied a good Meguires wax today. That was a workout. ;)

It's too bad that the Mother's Back To Black doesn't last that long. :(

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Lookin good T … are you using gold class? And if so did you notice it doesn’t mark up the trim anymore? Even the slightest touch would leave a white mark in the past.
I finished a jar that I had since the KJ years… and started a new one, it seems like they have changed the formula!?! I used it on my trim and it looks great

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I had some older Meguires #3 Carnuba wax that was left over, that I used today.
I need to buy some updated wax and gold class, I would like to try.
If it it doesn’t mark up the trim, that would be very helpful ! :)

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a few drops of antifreeze under my jeep just now. I guess it felt left out since so many of you were talking cooling systems. Thanks a lot, guys.

It seems to be coming from the t-stat housing, so maybe just a bad gasket. I’ll be able to take a closer look at home.

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had some older Meguires #3 Carnuba wax that was left over, that I used today.
I need to buy some updated wax and gold class, I would like to try.
If it it doesn’t mark up the trim, that would be very helpful ! :)
I still have a bunch of Meguiar's products that I won from KMS Tools a few years back. Really like the carnuba wax - makes the green on my Taco look great!

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Finally got it in for inspection on Saturday (only 11 months late): main fails were rust in the left rocker (just cost me £350 to have the right one done), rear A-frame bushes & the centre rear brake hose (which as it's IRS, I didn't even realise it had) & lots of minor faults, most, if not all of which ought to be done before next year. Very disappointed, not used to it & really I can't be bothered to spend any more time or money on it - but, I suppose I don't actually have any choice.

Oh, & on the way back the ABS light came on - again! A couple of cycles of the ignition switch & it stayed out; how long for though? Just 'til after I take it back in for a re-test will do.

Still, at least it didn't fail on the chipped windshield, the exhaust, still loud after getting the porous welds round the cat joints fixed (at some expense) or the right rear brake binding which I immediately thought was a little over-enthusiastic parking brake adjustment, but then remembered that caliper/brake line are suspect.

Time to save up for a 2001 XJ methinks.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so even after removing and resealing the air inlet screen, i'm still getting water in the passenger compartment.
I'm starting to suspect it's not that, as there's also this weird pair of what appears to be rust holes in the a-pillar, near the middle of door opening vertically. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow. when I poked one of them it started weeping water.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
so even after removing and resealing the air inlet screen, i'm still getting water in the passenger compartment.
I'm starting to suspect it's not that, as there's also this weird pair of what appears to be rust holes in the a-pillar, near the middle of door opening vertically. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow. when I poked one of them it started weeping water.
Sounds suspicious... :confused:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny story. Last Friday my wife and I were out in the Jeep running some errands early in the morning. We stopped at Dunkin Donuts, and I went inside and ordered coffee and breakfast sandwiches. After I got back into the Jeep I decided I would rather sit there a minute in the parking space to eat my breakfast instead of eating while driving. Well, we were both chatting and drinking coffee when suddenly the Jeep lurched sideways with a “THUNK!” A woman in a Camry misjudged her approach angle to the parking space next to me and T-boned my Jeep! She was looking pretty shocked and I turned around in my seat and motioned for her to back up. She retreated and drove off without getting out to see what damage she had caused. Well, there was blue plastic from her bumper on my rock sliders. That was IT. LOL. I am sure glad I refurbished those and put them back on a few weeks ago! Otherwise my Jeep would have had rocker panel and door damage. I’m telling you, I have never hit a rock with them and very seldom need them for trees. But I have fended off countless sedans with them. So if you are wondering whether rock sliders are worth it, I think the answer is clear! ;)

You can see the scrapes on the front fender from people hitting my Jeep while parallel parking. I would seriously love to have an At The Helm steel bumper for the city.

Last edited:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good grief! :eek:
I should say I’ve had this Jeep in Philadelphia since 2011 and have put on 190,000 miles myself… so there has been ample time to build some Jeep character with scrapes and dents. Sometimes I think it’s probably silly to invest my time and resources in keeping an old Jeep running, and continuously modded/improved. But I love driving this thing.