What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got back on Friday to find the remains of the packaging for the new rear A-frame in front of the garage door. Fortunately within what I assume had been a box it was in a a largely intact plastic bag.

In preparation for the job I'd doused the mountings with penetrant, but hadn't noticed the (M6) bolts that secure the parking brake cables. Saturday, I cracked the mounting bolts but because I can't see how you're supposed to open up the clamp for the centre ball joint, I decided I wasn't going to have time to finish the job this weekend.

Today I had another go at preparing to replace the brake hoses (which, with a seal kit foe the right rear caliper) should arrive during the week but wrench isn't a good fit so must assume those nuts aren't metric. I have another, can't remember the size, so will have a look for that along with special vice grips I have for small rounded nuts.

Out of gratitude for my efforts, on my way back to its secure parking, the ABS light came on again, this time with the brake warning light.

All in all next weekend's going to be interesting - but it is getting precariously close to being weighed in for scrap.
The clamp isn't to bad, undo the pinch bolt and remove it, tap a screwdriver or chisel blade into the slot to spread it bit and hit the arm with hammer. I had the axle on a trolley jack so I could adjust it, very handy for refitting.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a great looking dog! It looks beautiful out there. I really need to get a trip in soon.
Thank you, she’s a super mutt!

This is north of the headwaters of the Mississippi in the river valley. It’s flat farmland until you drive around the corner, then it’s a huge depression in the land. It’s insanely pretty in the fall.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
The clamp isn't to bad, undo the pinch bolt and remove it, tap a screwdriver or chisel blade into the slot to spread it bit and hit the arm with hammer. I had the axle on a trolley jack so I could adjust it, very handy for refitting.
I know that's the theory but with this sort of set-up you can usually see the slot & with this I could tell by touch that it's completely closed up. Yet another KJ feature that specifically designed to be, at very least, frustrating, if not impossible disconnect/undo/remove. I keep hearing about them not being as difficult to work on as other makes/models & I simply do not believe it.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question for anyone who has ordered axle seals from Rock Auto… Do they come in pairs, or does one mean only one? I can’t seem to find this info on their website.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that's the theory but with this sort of set-up you can usually see the slot & with this I could tell by touch that it's completely closed up. Yet another KJ feature that specifically designed to be, at very least, frustrating, if not impossible disconnect/undo/remove. I keep hearing about them not being as difficult to work on as other makes/models & I simply do not believe it.
Look closer, it will open up as you release the pinch bolt, it's a parallel shaft with a grove for the pinch bolt so doesn't need to open much.

You must be registered for see images attach

Once car is on axle stands with the wheels off drop the jack under the axle and access isn't bad at all. This is my spare axle that I'm getting fed up with tripping over!

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I came here to get help finding the correct compact disc changer cartridge / magazine. It's an 02 Limited 3.7 2wd. The changer is in the rear passenger qtr panel area. Thats what I did. Can anyone help me? Thank you.
Only place you might find one is at the Pull-it-yourself type scrap yard. Discontinued by MOPAR years ago. Wasn't a popular option, so a working one at this age is rare indeed. Only real option is to get you a a bluetooth deck for the dash. I'm seeing BT/AM/FM/AUX/USB single DIN decks for 50$ and the adapter plate for the dash for 30$

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Look closer, it will open up as you release the pinch bolt, it's a parallel shaft with a grove for the pinch bolt so doesn't need to open much
Once car is on axle stands with the wheels off drop the jack under the axle and access isn't bad at all. This is my spare axle that I'm getting fed up with tripping over!
It's true I didn't try to drift the bolt out (because I was afraid it might be a struggle to replace) & I didn't have the wheels off, although I'm not sure how that helps but I'd rathe access to the pinch bolt as awkward but access to open the clamp is typical KJ: virtually impossible - I mean you can't see it, much less get anything near it. (p'raps that why my MoT tester - who said he'd several years experience working on KJ's -suggested I might have to drop the axle & your piccie rather confirms you can only get to the clamp with the axle on the deck. Still, it's gotta be done, so not about to give up; just hope worst fears are not realised over the weekend. Thanks for the encouragement.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came here to get help finding the correct compact disc changer cartridge / magazine. It's an 02 Limited 3.7 2wd. The changer is in the rear passenger qtr panel area. Thats what I did. Can anyone help me? Thank you.
do you have at least 1 cartridge for it?
I have some leftover alpine 6-disc cartridges here, for a long gone changer.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Previous owner decided to take a shortcut to replace the fuel pump through the cargo area and not drop the gas tank. I actually started the fire on the side of the jeep(second pict) I am satisfied how this turned out . I used weldablr primer on the edges, shoved a piece of aluminum and a wet cloth where I was stitching the flap back down. Then I filled the rest of the cut with seam sealer than just recovered the area with primer. Painted it later, I’ll install kilmat tomorrow and reinstall the interior, after fixing the wiring harness and my backup camera wiring.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too dark for pictures, kilmat is installed, fixed the wiring, got the carpet back in. Now just trying to figure out how to reinstall the rear seat. Does anyone have any idea how all the different plates for the seatbelts go in?

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
curious if it actually works well.
I did the whole dynamat thing on one car one time. I gutted the car to do it; roof skin, floor, both doors, inner quarters, trunk, you name it.
other than making the car heavier, I don't really think it did much in terms of noise dampening. I mean yea the panels didn't "ring" any more when you rapped on them, but other than that...

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
have had a heckuva time getting proper spark plugs for the Rubicon. Even the stealerships don't have 'em. Finally had to buy a set direct from NGK...and they reported only 400 in stock.
Works out as the most recent revision downgraded plugs for turbos replacement to 60k from 100k. I managed to get three locally...so I have breather room to get a fourth, then set on plugs for a decade. Guess they finally remembered turbos are harder on plugs.

Fun fact: the Wranglers 2018 and on, use the same OE NGK Iridiums as certain Alfa Romeos.

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
04 Kj. is misfiring. Only got it to turn on when i put my foot on the gas. Let’s flip a coin rocker arms or fuel pump.