What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
04 Kj. is misfiring. Only got it to turn on when i put my foot on the gas. Let’s flip a coin rocker arms or fuel pump.
How your COPs looking? Which cylinder(s) are misfiring? How old are the plugs? What is the state of your battery? Libertys hate dirty power and any of these items are common misfire issue sources.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
curious if it actually works well.
I did the whole dynamat thing on one car one time. I gutted the car to do it; roof skin, floor, both doors, inner quarters, trunk, you name it.
other than making the car heavier, I don't really think it did much in terms of noise dampening. I mean yea the panels didn't "ring" any more when you rapped on them, but other than that...
I dynamatted my 67 restomod bug back in the day. the added weight became an issue and it did little to reduce noise. Ended up ripping it all out

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Look closer, it will open up as you release the pinch bolt, it's a parallel shaft with a grove for the pinch bolt so doesn't need to open much.

You must be registered for see images attach

Once car is on axle stands with the wheels off drop the jack under the axle and access isn't bad at all. This is my spare axle that I'm getting fed up with tripping over!
Definitely a job for some Free-All and then some Kroil. When I did mine it took three treatments over three days to get things loose.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Kids are in the driveway bright and early today borrowing my tools. Apparently they managed to find a full set of Moabs with Falkens on them for Bert. They also scored the long skids I never bothered to get. I told them they need to hop on here and learn from yinze like I did...we shall see...

Text messages thus far

"Dad, what is a tork (sic) wrench, where is it stored and what does it look like?"
"Find the long red box on the shelf with "Property of Weapons Dept LST 1194" and take out the thing that looks like Darth Vader's Lightsaber with a ratchet head."
"What's a ratchet head?"
"You know you can google all this stuff instead of bothering me at work, right?"
"Sure, but this is faster."
"You guys never listened to a word I said when I tried to teach you how to fix stuff, eh?"
"Nope."

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kids are in the driveway bright and early today borrowing my tools. Apparently they managed to find a full set of Moabs with Falkens on them for Bert. They also scored the long skids I never bothered to get. I told them they need to hop on here and learn from yinze like I did...we shall see...

Text messages thus far

"Dad, what is a tork (sic) wrench, where is it stored and what does it look like?"
"Find the long red box on the shelf with "Property of Weapons Dept LST 1194" and take out the thing that looks like Darth Vader's Lightsaber with a ratchet head."
"What's a ratchet head?"
"You know you can google all this stuff instead of bothering me at work, right?"
"Sure, but this is faster."
"You guys never listened to a word I said when I tried to teach you how to fix stuff, eh?"
"Nope."
I ******* LOL'ed so hard at this!
I see this as my future with my kid. :D

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Thanks, but those products aren't available here (afaik), not, of course, that you could've known that, but that's not the problem. I simply can't see how you can pry open the clamp when you can't even see the split. This is my issue with KJ's, the few things you can see, you can't reach (with fingertips, never mind tools)
Definitely a job for some Free-All and then some Kroil. When I did mine it took three treatments over three days to get things loose.

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
How your COPs looking? Which cylinder(s) are misfiring? How old are the plugs? What is the state of your battery? Libertys hate dirty power and any of these items are common misfire issue sources.
The battery is in good condition it’s at least 1 year and some months old terminals are clean and have been sprayed with fluid flim to keep them clean. The spark plugs changed them less than 7000 miles ago I do admit they are the laser double platinum spark plugs but it feels like a harder misfire then caused by plugs. I haven’t had a chance to do further diagnosing. Except that it’s a crank no start and I can only get it to start briefly when i leave my foot on the gas pedal and crank.

Last edited:

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cleared out the sunroof drains. I’ve been to a lot of dusty places.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Kj is finally back together, it needs a new Front Hub assembly, plus a million other small projects. sigh. IT seams like it never ends! but it is nice to be driving it again.
my jeep needs: fluid filiming, block heater install, extra scumbag lights (plowing) installed, new tires, refinished wheels, rust mitigation, master cylinder replaced.
kid's convertible: in the garage, top off, waiting on parts to finish installing the new top
neon: timing/water pump/cam seal set in the spring
minivan: don't care
wife's sebring: master cylinder replacement
khaki jeep: trans and t-case fluid changes. diffs too, but we can do that later.
MG: it's been sitting for 6 years, in mom's garage, but needs a TON of work done.

don't talk to me about it not ending.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sitting on my workbench, in the queue to be installed:
2 Bilstein rear shocks
Water pump
Thermostat
Fan clutch
Zerex G05 coolant
Torq locker
Steel diff cover
Fel-pro diff gasket
Lucas gear oil
Spare 42RLE VLP automatic transmission (only 80k miles)
A bunch of cool stickers :cool:

In my Rock Auto cart for when I get paid at some point:
Rear main crankshaft seal
Axle seals, front and rear
Mopar Transmission filter
Fel-pro Transmission gasket
ATF+4 transmission fluid
Moog rear sway bar bushings

Need to find or buy:
Spare steering rack and pinion (low miles junkyard)
PML deep aluminum transmission pan
Trans-Go shift improvement kit
Teraflex JK extended rear sway bar links for lifted JK’s

None of the above are at the critical stage just yet, but it wouldn’t be preventative maintenance if the Jeep was actually out of commission. Finding time combined with good weather for wrenching is a challenge right now. Meanwhile there are slow leaks from many locations and the transmission shudders sometimes but still goes.

Last edited:

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sitting on my workbench, in the queue to be installed:
2 Bilstein rear shocks
Water pump
Thermostat
Fan clutch
Zerex G05 coolant
Torq locker
Steel diff cover
Fel-pro diff gasket
Lucas gear oil
Spare 42RLE VLP automatic transmission (only 80k miles)
A bunch of cool stickers :cool:

In my Rock Auto cart for when I get paid at some point:
Rear main crankshaft seal
Axle seals, front and rear
Mopar Transmission filter
Fel-pro Transmission gasket
ATF+4 transmission fluid
Moog rear sway bar bushings

Need to find or buy:
Spare steering rack and pinion (low miles junkyard)
PML deep aluminum transmission pan
Trans-Go shift improvement kit
Teraflex JK extended rear sway bar links for lifted JK’s

None of the above are at the critical stage just yet, but it wouldn’t be preventative maintenance if the Jeep was actually out of commission. Finding time combined with good weather for wrenching is a challenge right now. Meanwhile there are slow leaks from many locations and the transmission shudders sometimes but still goes.

Trans-Go shift improvement kit?!!!! i have not heard of this upgrade! Please do share.
I also didn't want to list all of said projects because it sounded to me like i was whining. Its an old car, its a labor of love at this point. And i am very much invested in thumbing my success to all of the Liberty Haters out there. I also picked up a nail in the rear drivers side, but my jeep drives like a dream, and fixing the fame to eliminate all the wiggling the rear axle was doing bumped up my gas mileage.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if I'll ever feel like that?
Well, not sure, I took what was supposed to be 1 day project and turned it into a 3 day project, plus with my bum back didnt help matters much. But, i get to take my nieces and nephew to the jeep club sponsored trunk or treat and trail ride tomorrow. so their delighted cries makes it all worth it.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trans-Go shift improvement kit?!!!! i have not heard of this upgrade! Please do share.
I also didn't want to list all of said projects because it sounded to me like i was whining. Its an old car, its a labor of love at this point. And i am very much invested in thumbing my success to all of the Liberty Haters out there. I also picked up a nail in the rear drivers side, but my jeep drives like a dream, and fixing the fame to eliminate all the wiggling the rear axle was doing bumped up my gas mileage.
I saw it on Rock Auto and have heard of people installing one occasionally on the forums, and it sounds interesting. I would love to hear from anyone running one of these kits.

Info is here:

What is a Shift Kit?
TransGo Shift Kit® valve body repair kits are a combination of new and re-engineered components that are primarily installed in the valve body, but sometimes the pump or even in the transmission itself. These kits solve a variety of inherent problems and weaknesses that differ by transmission model, including usual warp and wear, often allowing a higher mileage transmission to work better than a new one. Typical components of a valve body repair kit include springs, valves, check balls, gaskets, separator plates, etc.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best part:
“minivan: don't care”
:p
dude I might eventually just "retire" it when the tires get bald.
yes, it's that big a POS, but its not worth pasturing just yet.
it runs on water at this point (about a gallon in the cooling system every fill up, sometimes more), but there's no way in hell i'm going to attempt to install a radiator in it.
I go down the road and you can periodically hear chunks of rust fall off; I call it "active weight reduction." :D
the a/c compressor clutch smoked itself, the same way the jeep's did, not gonna bother.
right front suspension has wore out bushings.
I'm afraid to look too hard at the transmission; fluid doesn't look or smell bad so in theory it's been changed, but who knows.
the engine works though. those mid/early 00s 3.8L v6's are actually pretty stout motors. if it wasn't hampered by a very crappy 4spd the 'van would actually be pretty damn quick off the line.

again it's like Ricky Gervais and his last Golden Globes appearance... shut up! I don't care! :D