What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the front crankshaft seal, but then we unexpectedly got hit by a bad thunderstorm before I could get everything put back together.

Before I got soaked, I did find out that the harmonic balancer installation kit won't work - none of the adapters properly threads into the hole in the crankshaft. But is a special installation tool even necessary? Is there any reason why I can't just press the balancer back on by tightening the crankshaft pulley bolt?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Don't really know. I checked the passenger side valve cover a while back and it was dry. I'm guessing maybe the oil pressure sender gasket or the front crank seal.

jeeper03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got home from work and disassembled the front suspension and took front diff out. Started sanding and cleaning for paint and rebuild. Fun weekend ahead. :gr_grin:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
picked up insulation for the shed with it.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't really know. I checked the passenger side valve cover a while back and it was dry. I'm guessing maybe the oil pressure sender gasket or the front crank seal.

Do you see oil on the bottom of the front differential, and on the forward part of the front drive shaft?

I just replaced the front crank seal because of an oil leak like that. Haven't driven enough yet to be sure that's the only thing that was leaking, but the bottom half of the seal was completely black (on the side that faces out) from oil seeping out.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Do you see oil on the bottom of the front differential, and on the forward part of the front drive shaft?

I just replaced the front crank seal because of an oil leak like that. Haven't driven enough yet to be sure that's the only thing that was leaking, but the bottom half of the seal was completely black (on the side that faces out) from oil seeping out.

Not exactly...I think those areas are dry. It seems to stick mainly to the oil pan then gets blown onto the trans skid, trans pan and even the Tcase.

The one spot I've seen oil up front is the oil pressure sender above the filter. The LR3 once had a loose oil filter that did a mini version of what the KJs doing now (thought it had a ****** leak), so I think I'll start there. For now, it's just going to always have clean oil in it. :gr_grin:

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not exactly...I think those areas are dry. It seems to stick mainly to the oil pan then gets blown onto the trans skid, trans pan and even the Tcase.

The one spot I've seen oil up front is the oil pressure sender above the filter. The LR3 once had a loose oil filter that did a mini version of what the KJs doing now (thought it had a ****** leak), so I think I'll start there. For now, it's just going to always have clean oil in it. :gr_grin:

Hm in that case I'd very thoroughly check the oil pan gasket or oil pan itself for leaks.

With a leaking oil pressure sender or front crank seal (I've had both), the oil usually runs along the ledge on top of the oil pan, then drips down near the front differential.

Members online