What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the front and rear diff fluid change and the transmission pan drop and refill. Also replaced the OE belt tensioner and belt. It was surprisingly loose and the ribbed pulley is noisy unloaded. Tried the LubeLocker gaskets for the ****** and rear diff. I was surprised to see the rear diff (and probably front) had been serviced before based on the different colors of RTV in the back. ****** fluid didn't look like it was ever touched. First time with LubeLockers so we'll see how it goes. :icon_neutral:

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the front and rear diff fluid change and the transmission pan drop and refill. Also replaced the OE belt tensioner and belt. It was surprisingly loose and the ribbed pulley is noisy unloaded. Tried the LubeLocker gaskets for the ****** and rear diff. I was surprised to see the rear diff (and probably front) had been serviced before based on the different colors of RTV in the back. ****** fluid didn't look like it was ever touched. First time with LubeLockers so we'll see how it goes. :icon_neutral:
Nice! I just used a gasket (dry) on my liberty ****** pan for the first time.. Now I'm constantly worried/checking it for seepage lol! I really trusted rtv haha

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know my 96 chevy k1500 would shut off the injectors while going downhill with the cruise on but I never had it downshift on its own. My 03 sunfire didn' act this way either.

I hope the ESP on the Jeep is better than what the sunfire had as it iritated me driving uphill on snow- I would just turn it off

My 05 does it.... shuts off the fuel injectors going downhill but I think it has to be a good hill and you have to not be using the accelerator. For instance we have mountains around here and there is this one real long straight downhill road coming out of the mountains and with no traffic I start at the top stopped and shift out of O/D so the ****** stays in drive to get some engine breaking. Then reset my EVIC for laughs. Then I start down rolling and not hitting the gas at all. The injectors cut off and the EVIC starts reading 99.9 mpg....LOL. When I get to the bottom I am going around 75.....LOL Then when the road levels off and I start using the accelerator again the EVIC starts going back to reality.....LOL

I have heard it called DFCO (deceleration fuel cut off) and fuel injected vehicles do it under certain circumstances like going downhill and picking up speed without using the accelerator..

Dave
You should try driving my KJ when at higher speeds and hit the OD off button.

Coming down from the Eisenhower tunnel(either direction) and I can maintain 45mph the whole way down without ever touching the brakes. Zero fuel used,and you can tell since my engine temp will go from 200 degrees to 100 degrees.

As far as the cruise control and downshifting the KJ will do that on a steep enough downgrade.I believe it will kick it out of OD or or lower when you get about 5-8mph above the set cruise speed and throttle reduction and fuel cut off does not slow the vehicle down.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! I just used a gasket (dry) on my liberty ****** pan for the first time.. Now I'm constantly worried/checking it for seepage lol! I really trusted rtv haha

I'll be checking daily too. I like the RTV too but thought I'd give this a try. The gasket is definitely easier. I've use a dry gasket (felpro) on my truck ****** and rear diff for years and no problems so have some confidence.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Coming down from the Eisenhower tunnel(either direction) and I can maintain 45mph the whole way down without ever touching the brakes. Zero fuel used,and you can tell since my engine temp will go from 200 degrees to 100 degrees.

As far as the cruise control and downshifting the KJ will do that on a steep enough downgrade.I believe it will kick it out of OD or or lower when you get about 5-8mph above the set cruise speed and throttle reduction and fuel cut off does not slow the vehicle down.

That's quite the accomplishment. Never had a KJ on that route but lots of rentals for the past....well back when horses were the main thing to rent. :gr_grin: The LR3 I can hold back pretty good at 50-60 if I keep it in 3rd on that run.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be checking daily too. I like the RTV too but thought I'd give this a try. The gasket is definitely easier. I've use a dry gasket (felpro) on my truck ****** and rear diff for years and no problems so have some confidence.

I don't have experience with the LubeLocker gaskets, but the rubber gasket from the Napa ****** filter/gasket kit has been holding up perfectly fine for 10k+ miles on my KJ, no leaks whatsoever. And so much easier and less messy than using RTV.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use FelPro gaskets for my rear diff and they hold up really well. Must easier than RTV too.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Seems like a great deal if it's not cobbled together. Front looks a little low. Stock UCAs, I think I see a yellow shock up front though.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
From that area wonder what it looks like underneath, top side looks good though. Yes fronts down but then maybe used spacer lift! LOL

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paid the same for my stock 05 LTD with 42k on it back in December. Not a spec of rust on mine. I'm skeptical of this one. I know the 02 leather isn't the same as the 05 but that seat looks a bit worn for only 49k of butt time. Is this 49k on a rebuilt motor???

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Whoa... That's nuts, I don't know much about the OD switch but for my basic setup is it bad to turn the switch on at high speeds?

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Finally gave the KJ a serious summer power wash, & scrub down top to bottom.
59673[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

With the new rear Monroe load adjusting shocks, it almost looks like I do have a slight wedge going on.
The power wash still did not remove most of the oil that blew out of the old Bilstien. It sent oil flying everywhere in wheel well etc.
Going to have to get a good d-greaser for next time.:gr_grin:

Attachments

• Jeep%202017%20Clean2.jpg
    Jeep%202017%20Clean2.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 0

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Left it at home and took the bike to work. Wayyy to nice of a day to be indoors during my hour commute.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like a great deal if it's not cobbled together. Front looks a little low. Stock UCAs, I think I see a yellow shock up front though.

They all look red or orange to me.. if you look at the interior, there's 2 brackets in the passenger area and 1 almost looks like a mount for a plow control, so front may be low from that if that's what it is..

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
They all look red or orange to me.. if you look at the interior, there's 2 brackets in the passenger area and 1 almost looks like a mount for a plow control, so front may be low from that if that's what it is..

CB radio mount is what I see with mic mount on passenger side dash panel ( CB bracket on tunnel pass. side )

From the looks of it never had a winch mounted either

Seats look about right, mine came out of an 03 with 55,000 miles and that is about how they looked in the beginning

Last edited:

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is a great deal. I bought my 06 Renegade with 90k miles for $5000 and there was an 04 Limited with 54k with leather, power heated seats and moonroof for $8000 that I saw after I bought the 06

The 2002 does have a heavy duty bumper on the front

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think it is a great deal. I bought my 06 Renegade with 90k miles for $5000 and there was an 04 Limited with 54k with leather, power heated seats and moonroof for $8000 that I saw after I bought the 06

The 2002 does have a heavy duty bumper on the front

They wanted 6900 for my 03 with 78,000 on it a couple of years ago when I bought it .
That is the starting point ( their asking price)
Got the 03 for less than 4000 with all taxes, license etc
Bet you could but that one for 55 or maybe less.
I'll find out :icon_razz:
Needing another one, sold the 02 Rene so missing a year

Members online

No members online now.