What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this cracked with a touch - no bullseye to fill. That windshield was a POS from day 1. I'll never use Safelite.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this cracked with a touch - no bullseye to fill. That windshield was a POS from day 1. I'll never use Safelite.
I use them but I specify oem glass only. Works like a charm and insurance picks up the whole bill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a safelite one 2 years ago when I was in college (they did it while I was in class so it was what was convenient), chipped a bullseye within a week and I've been living with the bullseye for 2 years now lol (biggthumpup)
I'll never be using them again.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We were going to do that ourselves (my husband is an HVAC-R master and comes up with sneaky fixes on a lot of stuff), actually, but it seems the old cast iron pipe has collapsed from the roots in several places :(

Our house was built in 1932 and the pipe did last a good long time.

Ah. collapsed pipes equals digging. Too bad, that mold in place fix seems really neat.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really does. We were just going to drive a slightly smaller PVC pipe through it past the root balls, but it has about 3 collapsed spots.

On another note, my stepdaughter passed her driver's test today in the Jeep - on her first try :)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Got the Monroe 58649 load leveling coil overs installed today. :gr_grin:
No drama, no grinding lower spring perch, they just fit in.
59631[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

59633[/ATTACH]"]

Not the best photo or level ground but I got over 1.25 inch extra lift and drives sweet.
59635[/ATTACH]"]

Seems to have made for way less body roll and smooth tight driving experience.
The top bolt spec is 80 ft-lbs and lower bolt is 85 ft-lbs.
Next this weekend is to power wash all the old fluid away from where the old Bilstien erupted !:blah:

Attachments

• QfVKXM5.jpg
    QfVKXM5.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 0
  • q6joUkG.jpg
    q6joUkG.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 0
  • pMPTdqM.jpg
    pMPTdqM.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the Monroe 58649 load leveling coil overs installed today. :gr_grin:
No drama, no grinding lower spring perch, they just fit in.
[ATTACH=full]59637[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]59638[/ATTACH]
Not the best photo or level ground but I got over 1.25 inch extra lift and drives sweet.
[ATTACH=full]59639[/ATTACH]
Seems to have made for less body roll and smooth tight driving experience.
The top bolt spec is 80 ft-lbs and lower bolt is 85 ft-lbs.
Next this weekend is to power wash all the old fluid away from where the old Bilstien erupted !:blah:
Watch the powder coat on the spring near the lower perch. Very surprised you have no problems. Maybe because you're not as tall as I am. Glad you like the ride though!

PS - are those LCAs from before the recall? Surprised they wouldn't recall Canadian KJs.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went for a drive in my 2006 on the fourth of July and got a surprise when I was using the cruise control going downhill. The transmission shifted into third gear to provide engine braking so I didn't have to use the brakes

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went for a drive in my 2006 on the fourth of July and got a surprise when I was using the cruise control going downhill. The transmission shifted into third gear to provide engine braking so I didn't have to use the brakes

Most autos will do that I've noticed. Even my stick shift will (what seems to be) completely close the throttle body so it just straight coasts. It almost feels like it downshifts but it doesn't (obviously).

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KJ survived a 4,500 mile round trip to Virginia for my wedding :).

I had to put 5 quarts of oil in along the way. I knew the front main seal was leaking, but just didn't have time to fix it before the trip. Then somewhere along the way oil started leaking out of both crankcase vent filters - probably just time to replace them. And I think the engine just uses a bit of oil due to its age.

Besides that, I did notice the 'Part-Time' light didn't come on when I put it in 4-high. Not sure yet whether the bulb just burned out or if something else is going on, I'll have to do a bit of experimenting there.

And on the way back a lot of condensation from the AC started dripping inside the cabin on the passenger side. Hopefully just a drainage hose that's partially plugged.

Overall, not bad for a 12-year old vehicle that hasn't been to a real mechanic in a long time.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KJ survived a 4,500 mile round trip to Virginia for my wedding :).

I had to put 5 quarts of oil in along the way. I knew the front main seal was leaking, but just didn't have time to fix it before the trip. Then somewhere along the way oil started leaking out of both crankcase vent filters - probably just time to replace them. And I think the engine just uses a bit of oil due to its age.

Besides that, I did notice the 'Part-Time' light didn't come on when I put it in 4-high. Not sure yet whether the bulb just burned out or if something else is going on, I'll have to do a bit of experimenting there.

And on the way back a lot of condensation from the AC started dripping inside the cabin on the passenger side. Hopefully just a drainage hose that's partially plugged.

Overall, not bad for a 12-year old vehicle that hasn't been to a real mechanic in a long time.

The part time light is definitely the transfer case position switch.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part time light is definitely the transfer case position switch.
Fix that leak the under floor is like a giant sponge it will hold a few litres of water before you realise the carpet is wet. There is a foam rubber around the drain outlet in the firewall mine was dripping onto this and sponging internal. Sealed it all up with single and extended the hose all good now

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score

try the inst. cluster test. which is just holding the trip reset then turning the key to the on position but most likely it's the TF case position switch. My Full time doesn't come on.

better dry that carpet out. maybe you're missing the drain hose entirely.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try the inst. cluster test. which is just holding the trip reset then turning the key to the on position but most likely it's the TF case position switch. My Full time doesn't come on.

better dry that carpet out. maybe you're missing the drain hose entirely.

That's a handy test, didn't know about that one. The light did come on during the test, so it should indeed be the switch. Tried both 4-high and 4-low, but the light just never comes on, even though the 4x4 does engage. Oh well, nothing urgent, probably won't need 4x4 until the winter hits again.

For drying the carpet, is there anything I can do to speed it up, besides taking out the floor mat and blasting hot air at the carpet whenever I drive?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a handy test, didn't know about that one. The light did come on during the test, so it should indeed be the switch. Tried both 4-high and 4-low, but the light just never comes on, even though the 4x4 does engage. Oh well, nothing urgent, probably won't need 4x4 until the winter hits again.

For drying the carpet, is there anything I can do to speed it up, besides taking out the floor mat and blasting hot air at the carpet whenever I drive?

If the correct 4x4 mode is engaged then a light coming on or not doesn't matter.

I would pull some of the trim on the kicker panel and the foot panel by the door so you can flip the carpet a little to expose the under side. The underside of the carpet is the cushioning which holds the water.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Watch the powder coat on the spring near the lower perch. Very surprised you have no problems. Maybe because you're not as tall as I am. Glad you like the ride though!

PS - are those LCAs from before the recall? Surprised they wouldn't recall Canadian KJs.
They are the factory original rear LCA but... I used Spicer bushings and pressed in 4 new LCA bushings, w/the axle side slots filled in with urethane. Works well.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered parts for left side CV and half shaft replacement. Need to get this done next week so I can go to the off-road park with more confidence I'm not going to break the CV axle (it moves too easily by hand now.)

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most autos will do that I've noticed. Even my stick shift will (what seems to be) completely close the throttle body so it just straight coasts. It almost feels like it downshifts but it doesn't (obviously).

I know my 96 chevy k1500 would shut off the injectors while going downhill with the cruise on but I never had it downshift on its own. My 03 sunfire didn' act this way either.

I hope the ESP on the Jeep is better than what the sunfire had as it iritated me driving uphill on snow- I would just turn it off

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't recall my 03 doing that.

My 05 does it.... shuts off the fuel injectors going downhill but I think it has to be a good hill and you have to not be using the accelerator. For instance we have mountains around here and there is this one real long straight downhill road coming out of the mountains and with no traffic I start at the top stopped and shift out of O/D so the ****** stays in drive to get some engine breaking. Then reset my EVIC for laughs. Then I start down rolling and not hitting the gas at all. The injectors cut off and the EVIC starts reading 99.9 mpg....LOL. When I get to the bottom I am going around 75.....LOL Then when the road levels off and I start using the accelerator again the EVIC starts going back to reality.....LOL

I have heard it called DFCO (deceleration fuel cut off) and fuel injected vehicles do it under certain circumstances like going downhill and picking up speed without using the accelerator..

Dave