What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhula

Reaction score
Did a couple of jobs on the KJ today.

Fixed the rattle in the rear passenger door. Was a simple fix once I found it. The bolt that hold the rear most vertical window runner to the door was a smidge loose cause the washer to rattle. Easy fix once I found it.
Sorted out the door ajar/key in ign chime so it doesn't work when the key is in + drivers door is open. Easy solution once I'd worked it all out and easily reversible if I ever want it back.
Also sussed out tomorrows little jobs for recovery points at the back and possibly fitting air horns.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here she is!
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

She's got some dust on her but I was driving the hell out of her yesterday
A little bit bigger engine than the KJ :gr_grin:
I usually like black wheels on almost all vehicles but these huge gray ones go with the Challenger perfectly IMO
Leather heated seats, slap shift with paddle shifters, HID projectors from factory, 5.7L HEMI, push start/automatic starter on key fob, premium sound speakers, sunroof, 7" touchscreen navi radio, and much more! And the best part is, is these features are all factory options so I don't have to worry about some hack job doing these upgrades
Couldn't pass it up; I'll only be doing cosmetic upgrades to it- tinting tail lights, LED fogs, stainless running boards inside the door that say "Challenger" on them, and a few things here and there but it came with so many options I don't need to do much to it!

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something about chryslers, they just don't in general seem to react well to non-copper plugs. Every chrysler I've ever owned has been that way, even the turbo ones. ESPECIALLY the turbo ones!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something about chryslers, they just don't in general seem to react well to non-copper plugs. Every chrysler I've ever owned has been that way, even the turbo ones. ESPECIALLY the turbo ones!

I thought that too but I was checking the other day for plug options for my 11 Avenger and it takes NGK Iridiums. I was surprised but should have known from the recommended change interval. Like TJKJ recommended I'll stick with what it was designed to run.

Wonder what jeeplib05's Challenger takes? Probably Plats or Iridium. Isn't that two per cylinder? That's a sharp vehicle. Hope you have a ton of fun with it. I like the autostick in my Avenger but it's FWD and only a measly 285HP. Talk about torque steer. Don't get to drive it much since it's been way up north for a couple years. :gr_grin:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that too but I was checking the other day for plug options for my 11 Avenger and it takes NGK Iridiums. I was surprised but should have known from the recommended change interval. Like TJKJ recommended I'll stick with what it was designed to run.

Wonder what jeeplib05's Challenger takes? Probably Plats or Iridium. Isn't that two per cylinder? That's a sharp vehicle. Hope you have a ton of fun with it. I like the autostick in my Avenger but it's FWD and only a measly 285HP. Talk about torque steer. Don't get to drive it much since it's been way up north for a couple years. :gr_grin:

betting you have the pentastar engine in that avenger. anything with a ******** packaging has been getting modified to run the longer life plugs.

I'll agree though, use whatever is OEM is always best for plugs.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
betting you have the pentastar engine in that avenger. anything with a ******** packaging has been getting modified to run the longer life plugs.

I'll agree though, use whatever is OEM is always best for plugs.

Exactly, I like the engine and the exhaust sounds great when you open it up but the 6 speed ****** programming is horrible. That's why I like the autostick. Not bad when using it, plenty of pep for me.

I have to say though, 32-34 mpg is pretty good for a non-hybrid V6. That's what they programmed it for I guess.

justjeeps

Reaction score
I replaced all coils and upgraded the plugs from NGK copper to Denso dbl Platinum.

Coils are Airtex - so we shall see -note they did not ship with the marine die-electric grease the company claims they ship with, nor were they pre greased, however I anticipated that and already picked some up with some anti seize grease.

Plugs stated .40 pre gap but they were .35 so an adjustment was required.

For the record my old 03 liberty limited had 170,000 miles on it when it was driven back to the states. I ran Bosh dbl / single platinum plugs with no issues.

The coils in the 02 liberty are oem and I can say that from the look and lack of love the previous owner gave her, oddly JAPAN is stamped on the coils.

I suspect when Chrysler was doing R/D on the 3.7 they did not have access to all the improved spark plug technology that we have today and if they did it would not have been a good $ decision for production.

In any event the 02 seems a little smoother and starts with out hesitation.

Just my observation over the years of saving $ and doing my own repair / maintenance.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record my old 03 liberty limited had 170,000 miles on it when it was driven back to the states. I ran Bosh dbl / single platinum plugs with no issues.

The coils in the 02 liberty are oem and I can say that from the look and lack of love the previous owner gave her, oddly JAPAN is stamped on the coils.

I suspect when Chrysler was doing R/D on the 3.7 they did not have access to all the improved spark plug technology that we have today and if they did it would not have been a good $ decision for production.

In any event the 02 seems a little smoother and starts with out hesitation.

Just my observation over the years of saving $ and doing my own repair / maintenance.

The tricky part here is that run quality for any vehicle depends upon your point of reference. I bought my 02 with a bit over 80k on it. I ran it for maybe 10k and it ran okay but sort of sluggish and rough idle. I finally checked the plugs and they were likely the original copper. Gap must have been burned back to twice the spec if not more. I didn't research it much and used plats in other vehicles so put in a set of Bosch+4 in it. It initially ran much better but I was going by the really bad plugs that were in there. A bit more pep and smoother idle for a while but it didn't really last.

After a while I read here and on other forums about the copper preference and put the recommended NGK coppers back on. Then I noticed the difference. Idle was way better and much more snappy from a stop.

Probably the most important issue is getting the right heat range plug for the vehicle. Too cold=carbon, too hot=pre-ignition. Probably tough to get too hot here since the NGK ZFR6F-11G is a hot plug for an NGK. IIRC their scale goes from 5-10 and 5 is the hottest so 6 is still pretty hot. If you use a compatibility chart for other material plugs then the heat range is probably ok. Of course those Bosch I ran didn't do any damage but I appreciate and follow the factory recommendations. Just my experience and point of view. :favorites13:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup^!
The OEM coil packs fire mega energy into the stronger ZFR6F-11G spark plugs and eat the gaps by 30k.
What does all that hot energy do to platinum/iridium plugs?
I would assume eat em more, leaving even more of a gap, less longevity.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Always used regular coppers ( NGK or Champion ) in the 04 every 28-30,000 miles
On the 03 when I bought it service records showed it having plugs replaced 8,000 miles before I bought it. Had a rough idle and just didn't run right. Tried it out overnight and pulled the plugs, yep double plats in it.
One of the bargaining points was the rough idle,....:emotions34:Half hour after I bought it, new NGK coppers , idle smoothed out, ran way better

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the alternator (a diode was going bad), cleaned up and put protectant on the battery terminals and changed the oil in my Liberty.

And made one helluva mess....

The gasket on the new filter apparently fell off when I was installing it - I've NEVER had that happen in almost 30 years of changing my own oil. Then again, I've never had a vehicle with an oil filter I had to install blind before. The top of the filter had crimps to hold the gasket in place but they were completely ineffective and the gasket could fall out if you tipped the filter sideways.

Didn't realize it, of course, and started the engine after filling with oil - and getting out to check nothing was leaking. Oil was pouring out of EVERY opening underneath...shut it off, finally found the damned gasket in the filter drain funnel thingy. Cleaned up a crap ton of oil (okay, okay, 5 qts) on my gravel driveway and on the Jeep itself.

Refilled it with just barely enough - what I had in the back of my Astro and my Jeep plus two quarts I had in my toolbox.

Wanted to replace the camshaft position sensor, but I cannot find my ¼" universal anywhere. Without pulling the AC compressor, that's the only way to get to the left-hand bolt. The right one was easy with an 7mm wrench but there's no swing area to do that on the left-hand bolt.

Good news? Alternator replacement is much better (I went with a rebuilt Denso 160 amp) than the old one and now there's rust preventative on lots of things in the engine compartment.

Yeah, that's it.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tough luck. what filter was it?
Yeah... it always takes me a few tries just to thread the filter on.

you should be able to get to the CPS by removing the air intake filter box.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, hell. What was I looking at? Yikes...glad I didn't take that off now :Insane:

See what happens when I don't look stuff up like I know I should?

It was a Wix. Never had a problem with them for the Jeep or for my Astro, and I've had something like 50 filters between the two of them. Guess this one was just defective.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WIX/NAPA are the only filters I ever buy now, and i've never seen the gasket come off a NEW filter before. I've had them come off FRAM filters after they've been on a vehicle for it's service interval, but never come off a brand new one. Bizarre.

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the (many) years of changing oil I've seen around 10 new filters with the loose gaskets, the majority of them being Fram. Now the gasket is the FIRST thing I check before prefilling the filter.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^ That's very cool! Nice paint job John! What brand of cover is that?

Latest posts

Members online