What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replaced real glass lifts with some monroes, then was scared to open the rear glass for fear of it shooting off into outer space.....might need to keep a come-along in the back so i can close the damn thing

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WIX/NAPA are the only filters I ever buy now, and i've never seen the gasket come off a NEW filter before. I've had them come off FRAM filters after they've been on a vehicle for it's service interval, but never come off a brand new one. Bizarre.

Completely bizarre. I've never seen that happen before. It was crimped, but just enough to see the crimps. They obviously didn't hold it at all.

I'll be checking all my filter gaskets from now on before I install them.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always worry that I might bump the gasket off that the part where the filter threads on to.
after I successfully catch the oil filter on the threads, I always make sure that the gasket is still on it.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryco filters which are about the most common aftermarket filter in Australia only have a rubber gasket which can't fall off never seen one with a paper gasket

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completely bizarre. I've never seen that happen before. It was crimped, but just enough to see the crimps. They obviously didn't hold it at all.

I'll be checking all my filter gaskets from now on before I install them.

do you lube the gasket before install? I like to fill the filter with fresh oil once, let it soak in for a couple minutes, and dip my pinkie in the fill before it disappears and run it around the gasket. guess I could "flick" the gasket with a clean finger before lubing it, to see if it's loose or not.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you lube the gasket before install? I like to fill the filter with fresh oil once, let it soak in for a couple minutes, and dip my pinkie in the fill before it disappears and run it around the gasket. guess I could "flick" the gasket with a clean finger before lubing it, to see if it's loose or not.

That's funny, that's pretty much what I do. Dad taught me. I usually give the gasket a slight tug too. Many many years ago (probably 35 years now) I had one that was loose right out of the box, so always check. Haven't had a loose one since though. :gr_grin:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I haven't run across a loose one yet, always check the new and old filter. I also lube up the new one, just stick a fanger in the old oil and run that around the gasket. :D

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys and your oil filter mis-haps.......I got one too. Years ago I changed the oil/filter in my Bronco. Of course I was in a hurry. I did have one good habit at the time though. As a habit, I would start it up and check for leaks and shut it off and recheck the oil level. The filter was leaking..........darn. Shut it off and checked, and it was tight....wtf Took it off and there was 2 gaskets on it....wtf. I checked the old filter and there was no gasket on it so what happened was the gasket came off the filter and stuck on the machined filter mating surface when I was taking it off........Ever since, I check everything and make sure the gasket is attached to the old filter, oil the new gasket, etc.

Dave

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never happened to me, but I actually know a few people that has happened to, so I always make sure the old filter has its gasket when removed.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yep, always do. Gasket didn't move.

justjeeps

Reaction score
The tricky part here is that run quality for any vehicle depends upon your point of reference. I bought my 02 with a bit over 80k on it. I ran it for maybe 10k and it ran okay but sort of sluggish and rough idle. I finally checked the plugs and they were likely the original copper. Gap must have been burned back to twice the spec if not more. I didn't research it much and used plats in other vehicles so put in a set of Bosch+4 in it. It initially ran much better but I was going by the really bad plugs that were in there. A bit more pep and smoother idle for a while but it didn't really last.

After a while I read here and on other forums about the copper preference and put the recommended NGK coppers back on. Then I noticed the difference. Idle was way better and much more snappy from a stop.

Probably the most important issue is getting the right heat range plug for the vehicle. Too cold=carbon, too hot=pre-ignition. Probably tough to get too hot here since the NGK ZFR6F-11G is a hot plug for an NGK. IIRC their scale goes from 5-10 and 5 is the hottest so 6 is still pretty hot. If you use a compatibility chart for other material plugs then the heat range is probably ok. Of course those Bosch I ran didn't do any damage but I appreciate and follow the factory recommendations. Just my experience and point of view. :favorites13:

Yea I read recently the heat scale used by the various plug manufactures is not universal. The right up stated that NGK, DENSO "never mind here is the link https://www.densoproducts.com/product.aspx?zpid=10971 once there check out the spec page and drill down on the heat range. In short High numbers by some really mean a cool plug while small numbers by other may mean a hot plug.

I spent 7$ and change CDA for one NGK COPPER and since my coils and replacement plugs were going to run $300 at a local store and went straight away to Rock and ordered my coils and the Denso plugs listed in the link. It cost the same to ship coils alone or with the plugs so I opted to spend the extra 16$ CDA to upgrade the plugs. They would of charged that for one plug here.

Perhaps a separate long running thread with Coils / Plugs along with mileage could be helpful.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yea I read recently the heat scale used by the various plug manufactures is not universal. The right up stated that NGK, DENSO "never mind here is the link https://www.densoproducts.com/product.aspx?zpid=10971 once there check out the spec page and drill down on the heat range. In short High numbers by some really mean a cool plug while small numbers by other may mean a hot plug.

I spent 7$ and change CDA for one NGK COPPER and since my coils and replacement plugs were going to run $300 at a local store and went straight away to Rock and ordered my coils and the Denso plugs listed in the link. It cost the same to ship coils alone or with the plugs so I opted to spend the extra 16$ CDA to upgrade the plugs. They would of charged that for one plug here.

Perhaps a separate long running thread with Coils / Plugs along with mileage could be helpful.

Think it was done on here , LOSTJEEPs or somewhere back a few years ago

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had looked up the sensor on the front of the engine a few weeks back to see what it was - so it apparently stuck in my head when I decided to replace the cam position sensor. Duh.

Popped off the air filter box, saw it right away. Once I figured how to remove the electrical connector, the rest was easy.

Cleaned spongebob while I had the filter box open and off, cleaned the filter box. Cleaned the throttle plate and bore because I could. Sprayed PB Blaster on the upper shock mount bolts 'cause they're pretty rusty and replacing the assemblies is on my list.

Started and ran perfectly, no leaks (phew).

Last edited by a moderator:

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a couple of good jerry cans at the swap meet. Now it is time to clean one of them up and put a fresh coat of paint on them. Then to figure out where to mount them.

Last edited:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found out that my tailgate clunk was in fact not my tailgate. Did some routine maintenance by lubing everything and noticed the ebrake cable cake out of its holder by the diff. Fixed it, now no more clunks

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
apparently i'm now set to get clobbered by a snow storm on thursday. I put the plow in an inconvenient spot, thinking I wouldn't need it due to the weather predictions as of late.
F**K

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
apparently i'm now set to get clobbered by a snow storm on thursday. I put the plow in an inconvenient spot, thinking I wouldn't need it due to the weather predictions as of late.
F**K

Hmm. Maybe if I take the engines out of the snowblowers I will get some snow. Or maybe get the bike ready for spring and it will bring a blizzard.

Latest posts

Members online