What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil change found a torn boot. How hard is it to change this one...

If it were me I'd have them change it while getting it aligned since you need to take the tie rod apart and get it aligned anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Rocky. But if you can't wait they are actually easy to replace - hardest part is getting the tie rod end off and then back on to the same spot so your alignment isn't screwed up.

I bought my replacements off eBay for $20 apiece and they fit perfectly and use zip ties instead of the metal clamps. Just slip the larger end over the ridge on the end of the rack, tighten the zip tie and then move to the small end.

Here's the vendor I purchased from.

Bob

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it can wait i am going to clean it up real good and put a band aid on it (rtv) if i see fluid or something i will have to do it asap. Got bigger fish to fry at the moment. Thanks guys for all the help.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed the fogs the other day and threw in a new TPS today
Also, finally got a picture next to a stock KJ

You must be registered for see images attach

Not great quality as I was zoomed in, but I'm liking the comparison
Now, to find a set of those fender flares for mine..

Last edited by a moderator:

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took her to the dealer yesterday to get the transmission fluid and filters changed. Something I am capable of doing but not having a garage and a place to jack it up properly it was just easier.

Of course the service writer said my front brakes were showing signs of wear. Which made me laugh cause about 2 months ago I replaced the front pads and rotors. On the tech's note it clearly said back brakes. Which I am going to replace.

They performed a service bulletin for the airbags. now my airbag light is on constantly. So I get to take it back this afternoon and they said it may be the airbag module, which they will replace at their cost. It made me laugh because as soon as I started her up the airbag light went off came back on and there was a chime. I walked back in and said my airbag light is on and her response ( service writer) was " Oh. It wasnt on before? It may be due to that service we did with the recall etc etc etc" You think???

I just wish dealerships would hire people who had knowledge of vehicles for the service department. Not the " I read the sales pamphlet now I am qualified to know everything there is about all the vehicles sold by this manufacturer" knowledge. It would make them far more tolerable IMO.

But the good news is she shifts beautifully and she is ready for the road trip my wife is taking her on next week.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger side door with a " mountain and some lettering " on it was on a load of parts someone was trying to sell at a salvage yard 235 miles southeast of here

So close and yet.... Have you been watching for parts on craigslist or ebay in that area? They may try that (if they haven't already) if they keep striking out at the boneyards.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So close and yet.... Have you been watching for parts on craigslist or ebay in that area? They may try that (if they haven't already) if they keep striking out at the boneyards.

Been watching in an area of about 200 miles of where it was taken, nothing so far that looked or sounded familiar, ( thats what I do from midnight till 4 AM everynight)
I did get a message this AM that another County Sheriff had found several presumably stolen cars/ trucks / SUVs and ATVs . They are going through now to see what there is, match up . Last thing I heard was most seemed to come from Southwestern Pa/ The WV panhandle and Southeast Ohio areas
We'll see , even if I could get some parts back would be that much

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it to work and got a few "ooohh" and "ahhh" comments about the new ARB bumper from co-workers. I like to park next to stock JK's :gr_grin:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to start this morning battery was good as all my light work nit dim a bit solid 12v when i turn the key all i get is a single click third try it started just got off work samething but took more clicks. Starts fine once it does nothing different or weird about it could it be the ignition switch but then why the click?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to start this morning battery was good as all my light work nit dim a bit solid 12v when i turn the key all i get is a single click third try it started just got off work samething but took more clicks. Starts fine once it does nothing different or weird about it could it be the ignition switch but then why the click?

Punctuation.. PLEASE

Anyhow, I'd check your battery cables just to be sure they're tight and also not corroded
It could be the starter/ign. switch, but also could be a fuel system issue
I was having an issue a while back that mine would sometimes start fine but after shutting it off I'd have to jump it
I'd get the dash lights when I opened the door but once I tried to turn it over it's all go blank and the tailgate would start clicking
I presumed the battery was good because I got it tested and it was having the correct output
Turned out it WAS the battery and haven't had another problem since

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the punctuation. I was typing that up right after i got it starts. I didnt want to forget. Now i am jist putting periods everywhere.

The battery connections are clean i keep a very close eye on them. How would i know if it was fuel system related.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The battery connections are clean i keep a very close eye on them. How would i know if it was fuel system related.

Simple, it's not fuel related. A fuel system issue would not prevent the starter from energizing and cranking the engine over. Do you have a test meter so you can check for power at the start wire at the starter when key is in the start position? I'm gonna guess you have power going there since you get a click, but are you getting full power? To me it more sounds like the starter itself, or maybe a bad ground.

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i think i can do that. I have a ddm should be looking for 12v i am guessing.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which wire goes to the starter dont think i can get the leads on the starter itself

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that darn heat shield is in the way. I'd have to cheat and look at a ski-matic to trace the wire, but then you probably could too. ;)

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must be a cold start problem started right up two times back to back battery went down to 10.5v on start but jumped right back up to 14v as usual.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could i remove the fuse and use that as a point or it wouldnt give me a good number.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the starter relay, jumper I believe terminals 87 and 30 in the socket, and see if the starter works. Double check the 87 and 30, I don't wanna be held liable for sparks, lol.