What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I finally installed a new/old rear gate. I foolishly backed into a stump at a customer's farm (it was below the level of the rear window so didn't see it) and bent the gate - the spare tire hit the stump and pushed in the sheet metal and interior frame. :favorites68:

Found a gate at the local Pull-A-Part for $72 and had it painted for $250 at the local body shop (it came off an '03 red KJ and mine is BLACK! :mexsmoke: ) Unfortunately there are differences in lock mechanisms even in the same model year so had to do some slight modifying to fit my original lock on the replacement door. Finally got it working so only thing left to do is get some of the plastic retainers for the door into which the door panel is pressed. Only bummer? I dropped a 13mm socket into a hole in the driver's side rear corner and need a flexible magnetic wand to get it out. Oh well :shrug:

Love working on the KJ :waytogo:

Bob

I need to pop the inside panel off see if I can remove the crease through the 3.7L Badge. Was like that when I bought it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
knife slipped. hand was in the path.
wasn't like a pack of AAs. it was one of those impossible to open clamshell packs of 18v batteries for my Ryobi tools.
That *****...IDK why they have to make all those heavy duty plastic packaging so impossible to open.
I hope your hand heals up quickly.
Send them a letter about your experience, and recommend a redesign of the packaging, and extra batteries as compensation! :gr_grin:
I also have had this happen before. Now I prefer to just use some good scissors or my little exacto.
51379[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• JeepExactoandScissors2.jpg
    JeepExactoandScissors2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 0

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it home from Madison. Usually about 2.5 hours, took me almost 3.5 because of snowy, icy conditions on the freeway.
So now my nicely washed Jeep in white again instead of Black

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked the front brakes and can tell from the wear I need to rebuild the calipers.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to pop the inside panel off see if I can remove the crease through the 3.7L Badge. Was like that when I bought it.

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to get to that lower part of the gate from the inside. There is another interior structural frame/panel on the lower quarter that prevents access to the sheet metal where the name and engine badges are. That was the main reason I didn't have mine repaired - it would have meant the interior structure of the gate would have to come apart to push the exterior sheet metal back into position. Your best bet is a replacement gate or leave it as is.

Bummer :emotions34:

Bob

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you won't be able to get to that lower part of the gate from the inside. There is another interior structural frame/panel on the lower quarter that prevents access to the sheet metal where the name and engine badges are. That was the main reason I didn't have mine repaired - it would have meant the interior structure of the gate would have to come apart to push the exterior sheet metal back into position. Your best bet is a replacement gate or leave it as is.

Bob

Yep, I have had to repair a few of them over the years and they are tough, everything is boxed. They are basically overbuilt to support the weight of the spare tire.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Bob

Mine has some damage from being rear ended in 2005-2007 and 2010
Tried to get in to pound it out and gave up . With the tire carrier locked in place , can only see when its open, so never think to replace etc anymore . Maybe someday :icon_lol:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes friends! Brothers accident could have been much worse, Our friend is out of the coma but still unconscious but doctors are hopeful as they see no bleeding or and swelling is down thanks to a shunt, His operation went well to repair his broken hip and multitude of other broken bones, Still no update on driver and drivers gf, Makes one appreciate the time they have to enjoy with their family, Friends and Jeep's lol.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it home in this beast of a snow storm we have going on right now, slipped, fish tailed a couple times, control never seriously lost at all. TCS light came on a few times, nothing serious. Marched like a champ where there was no road but just snow and tracks, walked right up the hill behind my apartment in second gear at 2200rpm like it was straight pavement. Its days like this I am proud to own a Jeep.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Took it back to the service garage to see if they could fix my Fog Light and TPMS problems. No luck. Now I get to practice my finely-honed skills at being "that complaining guy" until someone with enough authority tells an underling to "do whatever it takes to make that guy go away". :emotions34:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it back to the service garage to see if they could fix my Fog Light and TPMS problems. No luck. Now I get to practice my finely-honed skills at being "that complaining guy" until someone with enough authority tells an underling to "do whatever it takes to make that guy go away". :emotions34:

My wifes TPMS quits when it gets cold. On her Kia the TPMS light comes on, not the low tire indicator light. I've noted that on multiple vehicles it seems to be an issue where people come in thinking they have a low tire, the light is on solid to indicate and there are no issue with the pressure at all. I know Chrysler is a little whacky on their TPMS set up than most other Auto Manufacturers but this takes the cake though. I think the drive it to calibrate it was not a good idea where as GM/Modern Ford you can do the Calibration/Training with a TPMS Scan Tool right then and there.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
My problem is that I don't even have the sensors. After it was broken into and the steering column replaced the problem started. It's trying to get a reading from something it doesn't have. It would be like having a "Low Palm Tree" warning in Antarctica... :shrug:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would almost stem that there were wrong parts replaced, I have noticed that when looking at Chrysler parts Catalogs there are usually parts that say TPMS required and parts that do not same set up different part numbers.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I would almost stem that there were wrong parts replaced, I have noticed that when looking at Chrysler parts Catalogs there are usually parts that say TPMS required and parts that do not same set up different part numbers.
The repair guy told me that my insurance agent was a Class A doofus who wouldn't know a steering column from a Greek temple column. He also insisted that they use the parts he found, not the ones the repair guy suggested. I may need to have the whole thing ripped out (again :emotions34: ) and replaced. I can't help with the replacement, but if they need to find someone to rip it back out there's a guy here in Cleveland with experience... :icon_twisted:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much stems from a class of people who DON'T understand Chrysler at all. Aside Acura Chrysler stems No. 2 for the worst headache of trying to get parts to make a repair. Nothing like calling the parts store and getting ''Which one do you want there's three of them listed." and then an ''I'll call you back when I have the part number'' as my response. Only for me to walk out into the shop, find the broken alternator find the part number and maker, then call back.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back in my office, My manager went home for lunch and got her van stuck really bad out front of her house so she called Jeep and I, Got to put my new 30' tow rope and large hitch hook to work, 4LO and 2nd Gear crawled her out real quick, She said she was sorry for having me leave the office and do this, I was more than happy haha!

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warmed her up for 10 minutes before driving to work. She was unhappy. Will be plugging her in tomorrow morning for a few hours.

Latest posts

Members online