What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
0 degrees F this morning and the old KJ fired right up.

Power steering pump sounded like someone kicked the Pillsbury doughboy where the sun don't shine. :nutkick:

At least it quieted down a little after it warmed up a bit. Think I'll be changing that pump soon since the partial fluid swap isn't working anymore.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When its cold like that, I just fire up the KJ and let it run for about fifteen minutes before I decide if I want to move it or wait ten more minutes.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When its cold like that, I just fire up the KJ and let it run for about fifteen minutes before I decide if I want to move it or wait ten more minutes.

I am the same way, I think I go overboard sometimes but I would rather treat it right and know it should treat me right.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You hear all sorts of talk about 'warming it up'...many insist "Oh, just drive off once it fires up!" but I have always acted like a wannabe aircraft pilot and let it warm up while I went through a checklist....seat belts, mirrors, scan all the gauges, listen for new noises, clear the driveway of pedestrians/pets, etc...Just a couple of extra minutes can make all the difference in that top-end metal getting good and lubed up and doing some uneeded damage....just my two centavos....YMMV

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In this sub zero cold, I let it warm up at least 5 minutes. If jumping in and driving, I wouldn't have much heat all even by the time I get to work=miserable ride.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brushed her off and warmed her up while I was shoveling. Made sure she was fully warmed up today since it has been soo cold and I only had a short distance to drive. I don't want condensate in there at all and I don't have a long distance drive planned for another week.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You hear all sorts of talk about 'warming it up'...many insist "Oh, just drive off once it fires up!" but I have always acted like a wannabe aircraft pilot and let it warm up while I went through a checklist....seat belts, mirrors, scan all the gauges, listen for new noises, clear the driveway of pedestrians/pets, etc...Just a couple of extra minutes can make all the difference in that top-end metal getting good and lubed up and doing some uneeded damage....just my two centavos....YMMV

It's always smarter to just let it warm up, I find saying just fire it up and drive off when cold is not smart. You have to give that engine a chance to get the oil circulated and warmed up. One reason why, oil thickens up when its cold out no matter what weight, higher weights thicker it gets. I warm up since I have a tick when its ice cold out during winter, summer time no, just when it gets 20 degrees or colder.

True fact: Australian V8 Supercars have to have their oil and coolant warmed up before the engine can fire up. If the engine is fired cold, it will immediately blow, so external oil and coolant warmers are hooked up and ran for an hour before the engine is fired.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I learned this the hard way back in 87 on an almost new "Z" motor. Cold November night and I decided to burn some rubber leavin work. When I banged 2nd I knew something was wrong , 2 miles down the road and I calling for a Tow. Snapped the drivers side overhead cam.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always warmed up any vehicle I've owned real good before going anywhere. Much longer when it's below freezing. These cold mornings it gets a good 10-15 minutes. That 0 deg morning I started it up and walked back inside for 10 minutes then sat in it for another 5 before going. Dang PS pump still whined like crazy for the first 5-6 miles. Today it was 20 deg and not a sound.

I sat in the parking garage after work the past few days waiting for things to warm up and see all these people just jump in and go while I sit and enjoy the sound of my exhaust system reverberating off the concrete. Sounds darn good.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's one thing, my PS pump has NEVER whined in the extreme cold temps of last year with negative 50 below. I find it strange.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was doomed by the PO. When I got it the fluid was "sort of red". My suspicion is that the PO mixed the amber Mopar power steering fluid that 02s had with ATF+4 as the later years require. I tried to swap it out by dilution but they didn't play nice together. Still works fine even when whining and the whining really only happens when very cold <10-15. Someday I'll change the pump and the lines.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That will do it, reminds me of when a co-worker we called ''Napoleon Dynamite'' decided it was a good idea to dump a bottle of GM ''Clear'' PS into the tank of a Ford Heavy Truck which was also part of the electric brake assist system, since we didn't have a bottle Mercon III on hand only the SP for the newer trucks. You can probably imagine the noise that pump made.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
0 degrees F this morning and the old KJ fired right up.
Power steering pump sounded like someone kicked the Pillsbury doughboy where the sun don't shine. :nutkick:
At least it quieted down a little after it warmed up a bit. Think I'll be changing that pump soon since the partial fluid swap isn't working anymore.
Sometimes the air & moisture in the system is also going to make it squeal bad.
Easiest way to bleed the air out, have both front wheels off the ground with it running, and turn back & forth a few times.
The ATF + 4 in the power steering works hard & you can safely try this.
Suction out reservoir again & add a half a can of Trans Tune with ATF+4
Trans Tune - Sea Foam Sales Company
Can almost guarantee it will run cleaner & quieter quickly.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the air & moisture in the system is also going to make it squeal bad.
Easiest way to bleed the air out, have both front wheels off the ground with it running, and turn back & forth a few times.
The ATF + 4 in the power steering works hard & you can safely try this.
Suction out reservoir again & add a half a can of Trans Tune with ATF+4
Trans Tune - Sea Foam Sales Company
Can almost guarantee it will run cleaner & quieter quickly.

I do the partial swap just like that at least once a year, usually in the fall sometimes spring too. I haven't tried the Trans Tune. I'll pick some up this weekend. I've seen it at Autozone (they had a good sale on windshield deicer, I swear).

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not done today, but wanted to update...

I have not posted in a long while...but I just wanted to give an update on the KJ odyssey.

Since spring I have:

Added the JBA 3.5 Econolift...Awesome!!! Thanks Tom

Fabricated my front fenders...not everyone's cup of tea, but it is functional

Added a Gunvault (w/steel plate) to the rear door

Built an off road trailer...that was a labor of love and imagination

Installed Kenwood DVD/Nav deck...youtube install videos rock.

Once everything was done it was off to archery elk camp (no joy), were everything performed outstanding. I don't want to take up a bunch of space in this post with pics, but I did add them to my profile. Thank you to all who inspired me with your support and also to those who said it couldn't be done...

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not posted in a long while...but I just wanted to give an update on the KJ odyssey.

Since spring I have:

Added the JBA 3.5 Econolift...Awesome!!! Thanks Tom

Fabricated my front fenders...not everyone's cup of tea, but it is functional

Added a Gunvault (w/steel plate) to the rear door

Built an off road trailer...that was a labor of love and imagination

Installed Kenwood DVD/Nav deck...youtube install videos rock.

Once everything was done it was off to archery elk camp (no joy), were everything performed outstanding. I don't want to take up a bunch of space in this post with pics, but I did add them to my profile. Thank you to all who inspired me with your support and also to those who said it couldn't be done...

You've been busy, eh. I would like to see pics of your fenders and gun vault.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loaded up all the Christmas stuff and took it back to storage...*whew*....glad that's over for another year!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Put gas in it and cleaned the smallest rear door windows in order to apply my "Viper" stickers. That way the next illiterate thief has a good target to aim for when he smashes the window again.

(Yes, I am bitter.) :icon_twisted:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Besides Your Viper Sticker make a note that Reads...
Ya it is also silent alarmed so be Aware....

Protected by Smith & Wesson.
Live Long or Die early !
Your Choice.