What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SWilliams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spent the past few days doing rehab on the 03.
Started as a simple brake job on the rear...
Ended up with new rear brakes, P-brakes, calipers. Then I checked the front and that took front rotors and pads. Wife took it for a spin, brought it back and brakes were OK.
BUT I smelled coolant. Start digging and yep, cracked radiator! (well it made it 178,000 miles) So since I had to replace the front core support anyway I ripped the nose apart. New core support and radiator and cap. Then noticed that the valve covers were seeping, so new gaskets for them. Oil&filter change. Took it to the wash to clean off any left overs and discovered that the 1 year old water pump was weeping at the gasket. Pulled it and the O-Ring was shrunk into the housing! Had a reman on the shelf so put that on. Figure I'll grab a new gasket for the other pump and toss it on the shelf. Swapped the plugs and replaced a few rubber lines. Got that all done and then had some new tires installed. While they were doing that I had them replace a tie rod end and align it.

Still on the to-do list. Clean the TB and change the trans fluid/filter.

This spring I plan on doing some rust repair as well. Has the typical rot around the CMHSL and rockers.

Need to find replacement rockers yet, anyone know of good ones?

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanked it yesterday for pulling off an extreme driving stunt without so much as tipping. Rubberneckers and idiots trying to cut over into other lanes from a wreck on the Intrastate Highway, forced a van in front of me to slam its brakes I in turn slammed mine, I can not recall if I slammed the clutch in either. Realizing I would be eating the rear of that van I swerved right and onto the shoulder, taking half of the van to come to a near complete stop. I'm going to partially credit it to the fact I didn't jerk the wheel when I swerved to avoid the van.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanked it yesterday for pulling off an extreme driving stunt without so much as tipping. Rubberneckers and idiots trying to cut over into other lanes from a wreck on the Intrastate Highway, forced a van in front of me to slam its brakes I in turn slammed mine, I can not recall if I slammed the clutch in either. Realizing I would be eating the rear of that van I swerved right and onto the shoulder, taking half of the van to come to a near complete stop. I'm going to partially credit it to the fact I didn't jerk the wheel when I swerved to avoid the van.

Phew! I've been there on the Mass Pike a few times... not fun!

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was instant instinct on reaction from all my driver training. I probably took half a second to realize I had not enough stopping distance when the brake pedal hit the floor so I took the risk and swerved right. I don't know who jumped higher in the KJ, the wife or I when it happened. After that, I calmed down was in surprise at how well the KJ maneuvered without even a tire squeal or the feeling of tipping, and made the remark, if I had eaten the rear of the van, I was going to find out which idiot was responsible for the pile up that would have been caused, and beat the day lights out of them for being stupid. She remarked at the fact how fuming mad I would have been for just kissing all the money I have put into the KJ away down the toilet.

I can tell some wild stories of being on the road and from fighting a dead rig at 50 MPH when the engine locked, to nearly rolling at 10 ton straight truck on an exit ramp in a snow storm and I seriously thought it was going to go I had my left leg on the brake the wheel cracked all the way to the right and my right leg swung onto the seat prepped for roll. Chatanooga nearly getting sandwiched in my car between two rigs during rush hour and a wreck at the same time the shoulder saved me and the look on that drivers face was one I've had a couple times as well when I thought I was was going to sandwich a car between me and another rig. That's the tip of the iceberg, this just got added to the collection as well.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe all that fancy nanny state stability control worked after all? :D

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a good laugh. My daughter drove it over to the neighbors to pick something up and they said so your dad let you drive the beast. I fell on the floor laughing my KJ is soo not a beast.

Happy New Year everyone!!

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Glad you made it out unscathed.
Happened to me too recently.
Now I give a lot more distance in front of me at high speed, at least a 8 seconds spacing.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you made it out unscathed.
Happened to me too recently.
Now I give a lot more distance in front of me at high speed, at least a 8 seconds spacing.

Good luck on the 8 second spacing! Seems like most think that's an invitation for them to squeeze in front of you!

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah. that's true. I cap my speed limit at 80mph as well so I keep to the slow lane most of the time.
I think highway driving etiquette is slowly disappearing.

I had a scary situation when a guy in front of me decided to slow to a crawl on the freeway because he refused to move over to the slow lane on a 4 lane freeway.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

I had a scary situation when a guy in front of me decided to slow to a crawl on the freeway because he refused to move over to the slow lane on a 4 lane freeway.

I thought that stuff only happened in Maryland. :gr_grin:

Good luck on the 8 second spacing! Seems like most think that's an invitation for them to squeeze in front of you!

No spacing at all and they'll squeeze in around here. Only good thing is at least half the time they do use the optional turn signal. I like when they do use the turn signal but they're next to you and you couldn't see it anyway. :favorites68:

I seem to spend most of my commute just trying to stay out of peoples way these days. 10-15 MPH over the speed limit just doesn't cut it around here.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah. that's true. I cap my speed limit at 80mph as well so I keep to the slow lane most of the time.

Highway etiquette seems dead here. I pretty much have to pass in the right lane every time I drive on the interstates here in VA because of the people that feel they must remain in the PASSING lane the entire time.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I don't go over 70mph, its where I cap my speed at on the interstate since the national average is like 65mph anyways though it might have gone up to 70mph and I stick to the right lane unless I have to pass a slower moving car like the ****** who thinks its safe to do 50mph in a 70mph zone.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is such a thing as highway etiquette? I thought it was long dead, going by all of the other drivers on the road :(

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is such a thing as highway etiquette? I thought it was long dead, going by all of the other drivers on the road :(

I think the definition of the term etiquette has changed. It's now French for "me first". :emotions34:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its because, a lack of proper driver education and parents that really don't give a care about teaching their children how to drive in the first place. Reminds me of a girl from my ****** brothers highschool class. Yes granted I will haul some bottom on a snow covered road with the proper vehicle and with proper tires attached, I don't believe in going 10mph when conditions are bad but don't dictate you need to go that slow. This girl in a Mercedes would try to do 80mph when one could easily just do 50mph max.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
working on the tri-link now.
that 2.5 hour time frame is bogus, especially if they damn pinch bolt's anti-rotation flange folds over :mad:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove my Jeep to pick my little brother up from the hospital, They live in the country side and a friend was driving them back from town from hanging out for new years eve and on the highway the truck hit black ice and rolled into a field slamming into a tree, My Brother was able to get himself out while the 3 others were unconscious and got the girl out who was trapped, His phone was broken so he walked a mile to a farm for help with a broken arm and leg, STARS Air Ambulance rushed some of them to the nearest city, Our friend is in a coma with sever brain injuries, Broken hip and multiple other broken bones, Doctors said they can't believe how lucky he was to walk away from this, Hoping our friend will pull through with no lasting damage, Not a call I like at 0300.

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what a :favorites68: goat rope that was.
had to use multiple straps to pull the axle back into place so I could get the bolts to line up.