What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hit a minor milestone as I pulled into the garage today. To be honest, I only put 760 miles on it in the short time I have owned it. So the original owner gets most of the credit.....

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cut the sh*t out of my hand opening a package of batteries. 5 stitches.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
read somewhere that the time to replace was 2.5 hours.

Guess I'm used to pulling mine out and installing something different in 10-15 minutes at most
But then I have been R&Ring mine 2-3 times a week here lately plus have a spare mounting bracket so it goes quick:icon_lol:

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I'm used to pulling mine out and installing something different in 15-20 minutes at most

the bolts came out in about that time. but the pinch bolt gave me shit because the tab rolled over and I had to get a wrench on the bolt head to hold it still while I backed the nut off. then the ball joint took some 5# persuasion to get it out, and then reassembly was a ***** because the axle shifted forward.

also I did it all with hand tools. I try and avoid power tools as much as possible. I find things break more often with them.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
cut the sh*t out of my hand opening a package of batteries. 5 stitches.

Not even going to ask how you managed that
sometimes you do something like that and then quickly look around to see if anyone seen you do it:happy175:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not even going to ask how you managed that
sometimes you do something like that and then quickly look around to see if anyone seen you do it:happy175:

knife slipped. hand was in the path.

wasn't like a pack of AAs. it was one of those impossible to open clamshell packs of 18v batteries for my Ryobi tools.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
knife slipped. hand was in the path.

wasn't like a pack of AAs. it was one of those impossible to open clamshell packs of 18v batteries for my Ryobi tools.

Ahh the damn clamshell packages. I have done that more than once, and once on a pack of AAs. :gr_grin:

You'd think I'd learn but I'm just not that bright. Not quite stitches but lots of blood and cussing.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
torqued down the seat belt top loop bolt on the B-Pillar for the passenger side might torque it down more tomorrow.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try a can opener.

was thinking next time quit screwing around and go for the oxy acetylene torch. :D

worst part is, I just realized I won't be able to weld for at least 10 days. I can't get the glove on. And the plow needs that yard guard cut and fitted.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove my Jeep to pick my little brother up from the hospital, They live in the country side and a friend was driving them back from town from hanging out for new years eve and on the highway the truck hit black ice and rolled into a field slamming into a tree, My Brother was able to get himself out while the 3 others were unconscious and got the girl out who was trapped, His phone was broken so he walked a mile to a farm for help with a broken arm and leg, STARS Air Ambulance rushed some of them to the nearest city, Our friend is in a coma with sever brain injuries, Broken hip and multiple other broken bones, Doctors said they can't believe how lucky he was to walk away from this, Hoping our friend will pull through with no lasting damage, Not a call I like at 0300.

Wow, so sorry. I'm not scared of much on the highways but black ice is one of them. Thankful for your brother and kudos to him for walking when injured for help. That takes courage...

Bob

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude.. that puts my thumb thing to shame. :(

here's to him and the rest recovering.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I finally installed a new/old rear gate. I foolishly backed into a stump at a customer's farm (it was below the level of the rear window so didn't see it) and bent the gate - the spare tire hit the stump and pushed in the sheet metal and interior frame. :favorites68:

Found a gate at the local Pull-A-Part for $72 and had it painted for $250 at the local body shop (it came off an '03 red KJ and mine is BLACK! :mexsmoke: ) Unfortunately there are differences in lock mechanisms even in the same model year so had to do some slight modifying to fit my original lock on the replacement door. Finally got it working so only thing left to do is get some of the plastic retainers for the door into which the door panel is pressed. Only bummer? I dropped a 13mm socket into a hole in the driver's side rear corner and need a flexible magnetic wand to get it out. Oh well :shrug:

Love working on the KJ :waytogo:

Bob

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I finally installed a new/old rear gate. I foolishly backed into a stump at a customer's farm (it was below the level of the rear window so didn't see it) and bent the gate - the spare tire hit the stump and pushed in the sheet metal and interior frame. :favorites68:

Found a gate at the local Pull-A-Part for $72 and had it painted for $250 at the local body shop (it came off an '03 red KJ and mine is BLACK! :mexsmoke: ) Unfortunately there are differences in lock mechanisms even in the same model year so had to do some slight modifying to fit my original lock on the replacement door. Finally got it working so only thing left to do is get some of the plastic retainers for the door into which the door panel is pressed. Only bummer? I dropped a 13mm socket into a hole in the driver's side rear corner and need a flexible magnetic wand to get it out. Oh well :shrug:

Love working on the KJ :waytogo:

Bob

That's also on the list. I bought mine with the gate whacked in. Eventually lol

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the Moog sway bar bushings installed after I lathered them up with red bearing grease. Took it out in the desert over my favorite whoop-de-do's, and it seemed to have got rid of 90% of the front end noise. :waytogo:

Still got that clunking sound when the front shocks are extended. I assume it is either the shocks topping out, or the upper LCA's are hitting the springs. I will get my floor jack out and see if I can tell what's going on. Sure is nice having a test track a quarter mile from the house.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Got the Moog sway bar bushings installed after I lathered them up with red bearing grease. Took it out in the desert over my favorite whoop-de-do's, and it seemed to have got rid of 90% of the front end noise. :waytogo:

Still got that clunking sound when the front shocks are extended. I assume it is either the shocks topping out, or the upper LCA's are hitting the springs. I will get my floor jack out and see if I can tell what's going on. Sure is nice having a test track a quarter mile from the house.

Now remove and wash the grease off all it will do is collect dirt and cause issues later, plus grease is bad on rubber parts like bushings.
Mine are still stock at 212,000 miles, never any noise, I do remove from time to time and wash them good is all.
Noise could be a couple of things but without pictures/ etc hard to say for sure

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mainly put the grease on it to be certain there is no more squawking. Besides, I believe the Moog bushings are silicone or polyurethene, not rubber. Which should be resistant to most types of lube. Even if they do crap out, at $10 shipped, I'm not going to loose any sleep over it, especially since this Jeep will only see about 5k miles per year, if that.

If I get ambitious in the next couple of days, I will pop them back off, clean them up and see if they are still quiet. I have no idea why the originals were noisy, the original owner rarely took if off road. But it seems to be very common with the original rubber ones. After a search on this forum, I came up with all kinds of threads about it, going back to 2005. People were even taking them in under warranty for the noise.