What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
wife was in the jeep today. clunk was still there. both of us now think it might be coming from the back.

what are the normal symptoms of a failing/failed tri-link? especially post OME lift.

No lift here but what you describe sounds like mine. Clunks over modest speed bumps and small obstacles at low speeds but definitely as the rear clears them. Almost sounds like center of vehicle. Does it do it at launch? Does it wander at all on the highway? Did you try getting under there and moving things?

Pretty sure mine is the tri-link but I'm gonna do the lowers too.

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the ****** dogs for a ride out in the desert today. Their favorite thing to do no matter if its on the quad or in the Jeep. The pic is from a couple of weeks ago, but they still look the same.....lol

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No lift here but what you describe sounds like mine. Clunks over modest speed bumps and small obstacles at low speeds but definitely as the rear clears them. Almost sounds like center of vehicle. Does it do it at launch? Does it wander at all on the highway? Did you try getting under there and moving things?

Pretty sure mine is the tri-link but I'm gonna do the lowers too.

all of the above. and I just went underneath and took another look... the passenger side bushing has DEFINITELY tore loose. guess it's a good thing I bought a replacement boomerang recently, just because :D

now I'm considering replacing the lower bushings as well. figure if I'm in there I might as well freshen the rest of it up too. question is... MOOG K200431 @ $15ea (roughly) or a fresh pair of rear OEM LCAs for $64 shipped.

and has anyone ever filled the bushings with urethane to stiffen them and possibly extend their life? it's a trick I've used before on engine mounts.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You may want to check your vin number as Chrysler had a recall on the lower control arms.
I had a 4x4 shop press/burn out the old bushings and I used Spicer new bushings for the LCA.
Only the 2 axle side bushings have the cut away.
I filled the cut aways with windshield urethane and allowed 4 days of cure time before they got installed.
51345[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• JeepLowerControlArmBushings1.jpg
    JeepLowerControlArmBushings1.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 0

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's an 07, and IIRC they already had the "new" style control arms. but given it's been a "northern" climate vehicle its whole life I'm not opposed to just replacing them. no offense to any techs that might be in here, but I've yet to meet a tech at all the local dealerships that would even qualify as a wrench monkey; they frequently mess up more than they fix.

also, LibertyTC, can you post the part #s for the spicers?

here's the link to the LCAs I'm thinking of ordering...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281494335936?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Drove it to a Stereo and alarm place here in VA to have a Viper Premium LCD 2-Way Security System installed. I'm thinking of getting a couple small decals made informing the local street urchins that I get a notice on my fob as soon as they touch it and will be out there to put a 1 oz. 12GA slug through their ass for them. They probably can't read, though.

Molon Labe, :favorites68:.

Last edited:

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like standard shot over slugs in my 12GA. Has a wider spread and makes a nice hole. Plus even if your off it still has the potential to catch and organ and leave a NICE blood trail for the cops to follow.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you don't want a blood trail.
you don't want to have to tell a story to the cops.

cop: we got reports of gunfire in your area
you: nope. I didn't hear nuthin'. sure it wasn't a car?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I like standard shot over slugs in my 12GA. Has a wider spread and makes a nice hole. Plus even if your off it still has the potential to catch and organ and leave a NICE blood trail for the cops to follow.
Been thinking of using 00 Buck instead. Maybe I'll just shove 'em in the tube randomly and then both myself and the thief can find out at the same time which one was next up in the rotation. That way we'll both be surprised. :hunter:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had over 50 truck loads of dirt brought in recently to fill in my property and level/grade the back yard. I was often joking that I could bury a small church worth of people back there and no one would have been the wiser. plus my grass would have been FANTASTIC! :D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
John, I am not sure even if I could find the Spicer part numbers, that they would be applicable to your control arms.
Seems like mine are the heavy duty ones...That also mount with sway bar etc..
51347[/ATTACH]"]

I could dig through all my bills to find the part numbers though.
Let me know if u still need them..
You need a hefty press to get those suckers installed.

Attachments

• JeepLCAbushings2.jpg
    JeepLCAbushings2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 0

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
John, I am not sure even if I could find the Spicer part numbers, that they would be applicable to your control arms.
Seems like mine are the heavy duty ones...That also mount with sway bar etc..
51349[/ATTACH]"]

I could dig through all my bills to find the part numbers though.
Let me know if u still need them..
You need a hefty press to get those suckers installed.

Purple undercoating?

Attachments

• JeepLCAbushings2.jpg
    JeepLCAbushings2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 0

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably just the way some rattle can black photographed.

think right now I'll hold off on the lowers. clunking and shimy is getting worse, so I'm replacing the tri-link tomorrow morning.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filled it with $1.78/gal gas, added Husky floor mats, got an evap leak and wheel alignment fixed for free by the dealer I bought it from AND because the alignment guy decided he didn't want to try and align with the tires that were on it, dealer installed 4 new tires for free...they aren't top of the line but they are better than what I had before for sure...KJ now tracks straight as an arrow, check engine light is gone, and I only lost use of my vehicle for 1 day...NOW I have to keep my wife from noticing the new tires so I can get proper tires to go with my anticipated lift 2 months from now...LOL