What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, just checking. Yea it looks all the world like you're trying to put a 10" spring on a 6" strut. :D

hopefully I get a call early tomorrow saying they're done. they have a Branick 7400 mounted on the wall. I took note of it.

and my new "rewards" credit card showed up. $4500 in 3 months and I get $500 cash back. Time to go buy that plow!!! :D

Last edited:

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got mine back from the alignment shop and it handles and drives great! I didn't get the acceleration loss I had expected. In fact, I couldn't tell a huge difference at all compared to my Sidekick when I went from 27's to 30.5.s. That thing was like starting out in 2nd gear until I put a bigger motor in it.

Unless something changes my mind, I can't see any reason to re-gear with the 30.5" tall tires compared to the 29's it replaced. I think I would rather spend the money on reupholstering the leather seats with cloth. Those things are terrible as far as comfort goes. Next project..........install the used Renegade light bar which should prove interesting since I don't plan on drilling any holes.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I look forward to hearing how you do that with the light bar.

LiquidSteel

Reaction score
New battery, alternator, coil pack for cylinder #5, rear shocks, oil and air filter. Oh, and the coolant was also replaced. Wish I could do my own struts.....

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
picked up the assembled struts. $61

I'll put them in after I eat and change (and after the space heaters have a chance to do their thing in the garage.)

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I look forward to hearing how you do that with the light bar.

Obviously, I will be using two sided tape. The secret is cleaning roof and light base, then using 3M adhesion promoter on both sides. On most plastics it will NOT come off if used correctly. I just retired as a body man by trade and we used the stuff almost daily to re-tape side moldings on cars. You cannot grab those moldings and peel them off. Some plastics are a little more stubborn than others for the tape to stick well, so I will clean an area of the base and test it first before I commit to the whole thing. The trick will be to figure out how to run the wires without pinching. kopkrab.gif

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm more interested in the wiring aspect as well. I'm well aware of the various "adhesive" materials out there. :D Hell BMW glues some of their cars together!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Obviously, I will be using two sided tape. The secret is cleaning roof and light base, then using 3M adhesion promoter on both sides. On most plastics it will NOT come off if used correctly. I just retired as a body man by trade and we used the stuff almost daily to re-tape side moldings on cars. You cannot grab those moldings and peel them off. Some plastics are a little more stubborn than others for the tape to stick well, so I will clean an area of the base and test it first before I commit to the whole thing. The trick will be to figure out how to run the wires without pinching. kopkrab.gif

You are going to tape down a Renegade light bar?
I can see side moldings and such but not a light bar, plus how are you going to run the wiring ( assuming you are taping it down as to not drill any holes) :shrug: Just curious is all . Co-owned ( well financial backer of a body shop so know of the tape you speak of but just would never use it as such )

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced rear lift gate supports and Pcv valve. Painted my new rear upper control arm with a heavy coat of rustoleum. Minding the bushings of course.

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are going to tape down a Renegade light bar?
I can see side moldings and such but not a light bar, plus how are you going to run the wiring ( assuming you are taping it down as to not drill any holes) :shrug: Just curious is all . Co-owned ( well financial backer of a body shop so know of the tape you speak of but just would never use it as such )

Tom, over the years I have had to remove several factory spoilers off of deck lids on cars that were basically on with two way tape and a couple of alignment clips. Some are a major PITA to get off with nothing more than 6 or 7 square inches of two way tape holding them down on each end. They need to be cut with welding wire or a wide flat blade putty knife, and it is not easy without damaging the deck lid.

I just got the light bar off ebay a couple of days ago, and quickly glanced at it, so nothing is set in stone just yet. But it looked totally doable to me. Some of the tape out there now is amazing, especially if prepped properly with adhesion promoter. Even if I felt half way concerned about it coming off, a few well placed short self tappers in the base plate would insure it's not going anywhere. I may drill one hole for the wiring.

This is today's thinking on it. Tomorrow I may change my plans. :icon_lol:
I'm just glad I have a sun roof so I can deal with it from the inside, instead of having to stand on ladders now that is is lifted.

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
holy $#()$
Code:
[B]       ---before---  ----after----
[U]wheel  f2h   f2f      f2h      f2f    [/U][/B]
LF     18"  32"      22 1/4"  36 1/4"
RF     18"  32"      22 3/8"  36 3/8"
LR     19"  32 3/4"  21 1/2"  35 1/4"
RR     19"  32 3/4"  21 3/4"  35 1/2"
granted I haven't added any of the toys to the nose yet, but man I hope that settles down some!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well good luck with it,
don't care how well something was " taped on", some items are made to be others not. Just my 2 pennies

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
holy $#()$

LF 36 1/4"
RF 35 3/8"
LR 35 1/4"
RR 35 1/2"

granted I haven't added any of the toys to the nose yet, but man I hope that settles down some!

Did you wait until full weight was on the wheels till you tightened the UCAs? Have you driven it any yet?
Can't imagine sitting that high OH WAIT measuring from the ground again which doesn't mean jack sh** to us . Mines way over 38 doing it that way

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
uh.... I tightened the UCAs just before I put the tires on and let the nose down.
should I loosen and retighten them? or will they settle in after some driving.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting. I was staring at it and going "it looks level." so I stuck a level on one of the body lines of the door... it's level now.

and I updated the chart above.

Last edited:

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well good luck with it,
don't care how well something was " taped on", some items are made to be others not. Just my 2 pennies

You say "taped on" as if it is a hack way to do something. Just about all the factories out there have no problem with it. In fact working at a Ford and Toyota dealership for 18 years, I have never seen a single car or truck have an issue with anything "taped on" come in for any kind of warranty issue. If it's not going to come off...........it's not going to come off no matter how it is attached. I don't want to drill holes in my roof if I don't have to. I may decide I don't care for the lights or want to go a different route. My two pennies. :gr_grin:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
uh.... I tightened the UCAs just before I put the tires on and let the nose down.
should I loosen and retighten them? or will they settle in after some driving.

Put the full weight of the Jeep on the wheels then fully tighten the UCA bolts.

Bob

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thinking of opening a new credit card to do the regear, (want to regear asap , but don't want to go broke so 0% interest would be great for paying it off over a year)

now to decide what company to go with...

I just got a new credit card in the mail out of no-where and my first thought was "Hmmmmm, what should I get with this bad boy for the Jeep?" :happy175:

It's unamerican to not be in debt right? :icon_lol: