What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say "taped on" as if it is a hack way to do something. Just about all the factories out there have no problem with it. In fact working at a Ford and Toyota dealership for 18 years, I have never seen a single car or truck have an issue with anything "taped on" come in for any kind of warranty issue. If it's not going to come off...........it's not going to come off no matter how it is attached. I don't want to drill holes in my roof if I don't have to. I may decide I don't care for the lights or want to go a different route. My two pennies. :gr_grin:

I couldn't imagine a taped on lightbar lasting to long offroad or with 80mph wind bashing it on the interstate. I'm not saying it won't as I don't know crap about that so don't think I'm knocking it. I'd be paranoid though since it's basically just going to cause drag with the wind unlike side molding would.

I know some of the trails up here are pretty wooded and tight. I could see pulling out of the trail after being bombarded by twigs and branches to see I am missing something lol Hell I could see losing it even if it was bolted probably :happy175:

I hope it works out as planned though.

Last edited:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say "taped on" as if it is a hack way to do something. Just about all the factories out there have no problem with it. In fact working at a Ford and Toyota dealership for 18 years, I have never seen a single car or truck have an issue with anything "taped on" come in for any kind of warranty issue. If it's not going to come off...........it's not going to come off no matter how it is attached. I don't want to drill holes in my roof if I don't have to. I may decide I don't care for the lights or want to go a different route. My two pennies. :gr_grin:

I am curious about the weight of the light bar combined with wind and whatnot, Do you know what the approx. weight of the light bar is?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
uh.... I tightened the UCAs just before I put the tires on and let the nose down.
should I loosen and retighten them? or will they settle in after some driving.
Loosen with full weight on and retighten them back down. You have the bushings loaded now in higher position

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

There are parts that are made to be installed like that, ( taped on) take a spoiler for example, extra wide mounting, low down , no real wind resistance etc. But even on my last Z not only did I use tape but also bolted it down.
I've seen parts come loose before, maybe you've been lucky. But my nickle thinks with where the light bar is, the amount of air it catches at 60-70 MPH , the design of the light bar and amount of areas that can be taped, etc I would never trust it. Just tryin to save a lightbar from a high ride :happy175::happy175:
Plus as we all know so very well
A JEEP'S NOT YOURS UNTIL YOUR DRILL THAT FIRST HOLE IN IT ! :icon_lol:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trying to install my Backbone.
there's a problem. driver's side bracket is off by at least 1/4"
passenger side upright frame horn bracket is centered in the opening.
driver's side is skewed towards the center line. it's preventing the bolt holes from lining up.
guess i'll be contacting them on Monday.

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, as far as the light bar weight, I would guess 10-15 pounds. Not much heavier than a lot of deck lid spoilers I have installed. The main reason I thought about mounting it with two way tape is the base has a LOT of surface area. Believe me, if you cover that entire base with good tape and prep it with adhesion promoter, it's not going anywhere for a very long time. My biggest fear would be laying it down and finding it is not centered and then not being able to move it because it stuck so well. Been there, done that with side moldings and it *****!

Anyway, once the base is down, I would test it to see if there is any way at all it can be pulled up. After I am satisfied its not moving, I would mount the top light bar on it with the 4 screws it came with. Again, a couple of insurance bolts in the ends probably wouldn't hurt, but if that tape sticks correctly to the plastic, you won't be able to get it off. It will easily stick to the paint on the roof. If I'm not satisfied with how the tape is hanging on to the base, I will go to Plan B.................bolts. :gr_grin:

I have spent over 40 years working on cars in the collision industry and have had a LOT worse obstacles to overcome than this silly light bar. I will defeat it! :nutkick:

Oh, and I just found a puddle of coolant under it today, and traced it to a cracked radiator tank. So, tomorrow morning I will be heading to Reno to pick up a radiator. That thrilled me.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My pain.

You must be registered for see images

Offset towards the center line of the jeep. this causes the following problem.

Passenger side seems ok.

Just barely gets the bolts to go in, but...

I can't get the 5" passenger side bolt in now.

Got the main bracket centered on the jeep, but can only bolt it up to those 2 bolts so far. actually, all 5 will go in on the passenger side. I can't get ANYTHING on the driver's side except the 5" bolt. Think my only viable choice is to go buy a 7/16" milling bit and open up the holes that need opening.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Guys, as far as the light bar weight, I would guess 10-15 pounds. Not much heavier than a lot of deck lid spoilers I have installed. The main reason I thought about mounting it with two way tape is the base has a LOT of surface area. Believe me, if you cover that entire base with good tape and prep it with adhesion promoter, it's not going anywhere for a very long time. My biggest fear would be laying it down and finding it is not centered and then not being able to move it because it stuck so well. Been there, done that with side moldings and it *****!

Anyway, once the base is down, I would test it to see if there is any way at all it can be pulled up. After I am satisfied its not moving, I would mount the top light bar on it with the 4 screws it came with. Again, a couple of insurance bolts in the ends probably wouldn't hurt, but if that tape sticks correctly to the plastic, you won't be able to get it off. It will easily stick to the paint on the roof. If I'm not satisfied with how the tape is hanging on to the base, I will go to Plan B.................bolts. :gr_grin:

I have spent over 40 years working on cars in the collision industry and have had a LOT worse obstacles to overcome than this silly light bar. I will defeat it! :nutkick:

Oh, and I just found a puddle of coolant under it today, and traced it to a cracked radiator tank. So, tomorrow morning I will be heading to Reno to pick up a radiator. That thrilled me.

Good luck,
Don't mind me, I'm just a newbie, never worked on any motorized vehicle or even drove one until 6 months ago! :happy175:
Radiator Mopar or nothing, well.............................. from from my 6 months experience

Last edited:

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck,
Don't mind me, I'm just a newbie, never worked on any motorized vehicle or even drove one until 6 months ago! :happy175:
Radiator Mopar or nothing, well.............................. from from my 6 months experience

Not sure why you feel the need for sarcasm. :shrug:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow sota, somebody needs to be fired in the quality control department. :thumbsdown:

I'm not passing judgement until after Mark has a chance to respond. For all we know the damn holes in the jeep itself are in the wrong spots. It wouldn't surprise me, given all the surprises this 07 has had crop up.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well finally got my jeep all buttoned up since my ball joint debacle. New Moog LBJ, and a new Napa reman CV. Feels good to have the old girl roadworty again. Definitely don't want anything like that to happen again.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New rear pads ($30) yesterday. Pass side dragged like crazy so changed the caliper today ($80).

Not the prices I like to pay, but for short notice and not paying shop labour, I figure I did okay.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not passing judgement until after Mark has a chance to respond. For all we know the damn holes in the jeep itself are in the wrong spots. It wouldn't surprise me, given all the surprises this 07 has had crop up.

Are you sure nothing is bent? Marks stuff is usually spot on .
Never ran into any issues on any of the KJs I've done,
well except for John3:17s but it had tackled a huge tree or something in a past life

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nothing certainly looks bent. plus those brackets are... beefy. if something bent them I'd expect really loud noises to have been involved.

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap...If the man wants to try tape, let him try tape! No need to keep ******* back and forth about who has the most body shop/vehicle repair experience since they got out of diapers. Are we all here to support each other, or bash each other? We all have ideas on how to do things, and some may not agree with methods that are chosen. Tough crap. It's not your vehicle. Got some advice? Great! Offer it up, it may be very valuable, but no one needs to go on and on with the ******* match because you think your way is the only way. Maybe it is....maybe it isn't. The childish crap on here gets old...

Sent from my mystical handheld gizmo.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Holy crap...If the man wants to try tape, let him try tape! No need to keep ******* back and forth about who has the most body shop/vehicle repair experience since they got out of diapers. Are we all here to support each other, or bash each other? We all have ideas on how to do things, and some may not agree with methods that are chosen. Tough crap. It's not your vehicle. Got some advice? Great! Offer it up, it may be very valuable, but no one needs to go on and on with the ******* match because you think your way is the only way. Maybe it is....maybe it isn't. The childish crap on here gets old...

Sent from my mystical handheld gizmo.

And another one that doesn't want to have any fun anymore
:happy175::happy175:
Man some of you would of never made it around the old timers I grew up with, if you couldn't handle the joking, kidding, them telling you that your Jeep was going to fall apart before it hit the trail you stayed home and didn't get to hang out with them and have a ton of fun. Good Golly Miss Molly no debates, no discussions, no joking around, no harassment for the fun of it
Internet IS the downfall of the world, have to tip toe, be politically correct Oh my please don't offend anyone by joking around :emotions34:
The end ..................................
Sent from a real computer, real key board , sitting on a real desk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put about 400 miles on her this week. Looks like she may make it through the winter. Probably not cold for many of you but 17F here this morning. The cold is like a giant amplifier. May be time for an engine swap soon.

Latest posts

Members online