What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great man. Perfect color for living in Fallon. I'd have mine Line-X'ed that color if I lived there or a similar climate. Stockman's owned me for a night the last time I was there.:icon_lol: Annnnd today I re-geared. The Jeep feels so much better now when I step on the gas.

Thanks, we appreciate the $$$ coming into our small town! :favorites13:
Re-gearing is on the menu once I figure the most cost effective way to go. Yep, perfect color for the dusty Nevada desert. In fact my previous two Dodge trucks were gold colored and my current F150 is white/gold. Didn't plan it that way, but that is how it worked out.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what's the differential front and rear for you.
I'm hoping I don't have to get back in there and do a cleavis lift after I'm all done.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cheapest route to go for the re-gear is find the front diff and rear axle out of the the 4cylinder model KJ and swap them over. Finding them is where the fun lies.

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cheapest route to go for the re-gear is find the front diff and rear axle out of the the 4cylinder model KJ and swap them over. Finding them is where the fun lies.

No doubt finding them is the tough part. I got on Car-part.com and none came up on the entire west coast. :thumbsdown:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No doubt finding them is the tough part. I got on Car-part.com and none came up on the entire west coast. :thumbsdown:

That's how I did mine - the good Rev. Mudd and I did the swap in his garage. I found the front diff first at LKQ - it was somewhere like Nebraska but they shipped it free to their depot in Akron, Ohio where I picked it up. Took about 18 months to find a rear axle from a 4 cylinder - and it ended up being at a salvage yard about 10 minutes from Tom's house!

The shops I checked around here that came recommended wanted about the same money to do one axle (parts and labor) as both front and rear diffs cost me from 4 cylinder KJ's.

Bob

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you guys running an open rear? My KJ has the factory limited slip which works pretty well, but I imagine it would be fairly easy to install in another 4:10 rear?

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm holding off on regearing until after some other drivetrain ideas are flushed out.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you guys running an open rear? My KJ has the factory limited slip which works pretty well, but I imagine it would be fairly easy to install in another 4:10 rear?

I'd love to have lockers but it can wait for a while. I'm not going to really be needing them for a long time. I'm running open diffs.

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to have lockers but it can wait for a while. I'm not going to really be needing them for a long time. I'm running open diffs.

Putting a locker in my Sidekick was one of the best things I did to it out here in the high desert. Nothing more aggravating than going down a trail in 2wd and hit soft sand, get out lock the hubs to go 10 feet. Of course the KJ doesn't have that pesky manual hub problem. :icon_lol:

Last edited:

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting a locker in my Sidekick was one of the best things I did to it out here in the high desert. Nothing more aggravating than going down a trail in 2wd and hit soft sand, get out lock the hubs to go 10 feet. Of course the KJ doesn't have that pesky manual hub problem. :icon_lol:

Just a pesky front diff that likes to grenade with too much go pedal going over obstacles.:happy175::icon_lol::ROFLJest:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
called around.
2 places won't even touch the springs.
1 is going to see if they can do it.

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
called around.
2 places won't even touch the springs.
1 is going to see if they can do it.

Not sure where you are looking, but any good mechanic shop should be able to do it. Our local Les Schwab said it was "against their policy" to do anything lift related. :emotions34:

Oh, and mine is being aligned as I type. :icon_mrgreen:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the first two I called were firestone (where my lifetime alignment is at) and an STS. neither would touch it. this third place is a "mom and pop" shop recommended to me by a friend.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered Moog Sway bar Busings (K200161), Mopar Radiator (52080120AE), Mopar Thermostat (68174083AA), Mopar Roof Light Button (56010417AC) and a Mopar Tail Light Socket (04676589), Should never have went aftermarket for the rad but I didn't know any better at the time, Should be good to go for a little while longer!

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered Moog Sway bar Busings (K200161), Mopar Radiator (52080120AE), Mopar Thermostat (68174083AA), Mopar Roof Light Button (56010417AC) and a Mopar Tail Light Socket (04676589), Should never have went aftermarket for the rad but I didn't know any better at the time, Should be good to go for a little while longer!

did that site work for you?

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did that site work for you?

I ended up going through Mopar Overstock as I tried ordering through Avondale and it would not process my credit card and I could not reach anyone, Once I got that far it also told me they would process everything and quote the shipping cost's to Canada, I know Mopar Overstock was $50 for everything shipped and same prices so I stuck with that due to the rad being an urgent item, Will definitely try Avondale in the future when its not something I need yesterday lol, Thanks again for the help!

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up going through Mopar Overstock as I tried ordering through Avondale and it would not process my credit card and I could not reach anyone, Once I got that far it also told me they would process everything and quote the shipping cost's to Canada, I know Mopar Overstock was $50 for everything shipped and same prices so I stuck with that due to the rad being an urgent item, Will definitely try Avondale in the future when its not something I need yesterday lol, Thanks again for the help!

That blows. Hope you get better luck with them next time. You can also use paypal with them.
In my past experiences with them, they've been pretty good with emails and phone calls.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
took 5 shops, but finally found one with a machine that'll do the job. he's going to get to it tomorrow hopefully.

finished getting the driver's side control arm out. that rear bolt is a total :favorites68::favorites68::favorites68:
reinstalled both UCAs and attached them temporarily to the knuckles.
only things I have left to do on either side are...
bolt up strut.
attach cleavis and install both bolts
reattach sway bar.

also, has anyone else used the 970 springs with the 90009 struts? the latter seems AWFULLY short. I'm using both isolators from the original struts as well.

also started painting up the Detours USA Backbone.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
also, has anyone else used the 970 springs with the 90009 struts? the latter seems AWFULLY short. I'm using both isolators from the original struts as well.

also started painting up the Detours USA Backbone.

ALL front shocks are the same length except for the Ironman which are just a tad longer . If you think they look short on yours I used Frankenlift gasser parts along with OME 790 springs, with everything stacked together before being compressed it looked as if there was no way to every get it together. Of course one did come out of the wall mounted compressor, flew about 20-22 foot and took a chunk out of the concrete block wall :icon_lol:

Latest posts

Members online