What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

QuickSilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed McGard wheel locks to all wheels including the spare (came in a set of 5).

You must be registered for see images attach

Now I have one shiny chrome lugnut on each wheel. probably should have replaced the whole set. :shakehead:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
They'll rust then the "key" will break and you'll be sitting with a flat tire and no way to get the tire off until they send a replacement. The way the key one is made is very fragile seen not sure how many break over the years.
Good luck

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a tool set at sears made to remove thoses things back when my kids were using them. Theyd either break or lose the key.

QuickSilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry they will end up rusting like the other :p Mine are now Shiny rust colored.

They'll rust then the "key" will break and you'll be sitting with a flat tire and no way to get the tire off until they send a replacement. The way the key one is made is very fragile seen not sure how many break over the years.
Good luck

Bought a tool set at sears made to remove thoses things back when my kids were using them. Theyd either break or lose the key.
The cool thing about forums is the perspective gained from people across the country. I noticed your replies are all from the snow belt. Rust and breaking are elements I've never encountered in the 20 years I've used them on my vehicles, but I don't live in an area that gets snow or even too much rain. Lost keys are a legitimate concern but I always order a spare when I install a new set of wheel locks (got into this practice many years ago when I had a new set of tires installed and the Sears wheel monkey misplaced my key for three hours). I keep the spare wheel lock key with my spare set of car keys.

Last edited:

QuickSilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with a full replacement. I liked the gorilla locks better. Just gotta not lose it (or the card with the replacement code)

Gorilla Automotive 41783Q-23 - Gorilla Automotive Products Acorn Style 3/4" Hex 1/2-20 Thread Wheel Installation Kit - Quadratec
Did the same for my Challenger and bought the Gorilla set. I replaced all the lugs because the stock Dodge lugs have a nasty tendency to strip or break, but I didn't realize it was a full set of locks at the time I ordered them. They do look and function much nicer than the stock lugs Dodge slapped on.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed McGard wheel locks to all wheels including the spare (came in a set of 5).

Now I have one shiny chrome lugnut on each wheel. probably should have replaced the whole set. :shakehead:

Nice!

I bought a set of McGard chrome lugs to go with the locks - also bought an extra key like you did just in case one of them "walks" or the key shears off on the inside.

A full set of chrome lugs makes the black Jeep look even sexier :rockit:

Bob

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did I do to my Jeep today? I yelled at it.

My steering rack is spewing fluid out the passenger side inner tie rod boot, so the rack is shot. Just ordered a remanned rack and will get to "invest" time tomorrow R&R'ing the rack & pinion.

Bad steering rack most likely the source of the clunking during turns. Thought it was bad mount bushings but NOOOOO. Replacing those was just the rehearsal for complete rack replacement :icon_evil:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The cool thing about forums is the perspective gained from people across the country. I noticed your replies are all from the snow belt. Rust and breaking are elements I've never encountered in the 20 years I've used them on my vehicles, but I don't live in an area that gets snow or even too much rain. Lost keys are a legitimate concern but I always order a spare when I install a new set of wheel locks (got into this practice many years ago when I had a new set of tires installed and the Sears wheel monkey misplaced my key for three hours). I keep the spare wheel lock key with my spare set of car keys.

No matter where I would live I see no use for them. I had one set that was given to me and they were a huge PITA! IF someone wants to steal your wheels they will have the tools to do it and just as quickly as if you didn't have any locks at all. But thats just my 2 cents. I've removed so many broken/busted/rusted ones over the years for me they're a waste of time. Of course back when I had the tire shop they were a huge money maker when someone had a flat and couldn't get the tire/wheel off :jester::jester:so I loved them in that respect:favorites13:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What did I do to my Jeep today? I yelled at it.

My steering rack is spewing fluid out the passenger side inner tie rod boot, so the rack is shot. Just ordered a remanned rack and will get to "invest" time tomorrow R&R'ing the rack & pinion.

Bad steering rack most likely the source of the clunking during turns. Thought it was bad mount bushings but NOOOOO. Replacing those was just the rehearsal for complete rack replacement :icon_evil:

Bob

Tell us how you really feel. :throw:
No matter where I would live I see no use for them. I had one set that was given to me and they were a huge PITA! IF someone wants to steal your wheels they will have the tools to do it and just as quickly as if you didn't have any locks at all. But thats just my 2 cents. I've removed so many broken/busted/rusted ones over the years for me they're a waste of time. Of course back when I had the tire shop they were a huge money maker when someone had a flat and couldn't get the tire/wheel off :jester::jester:so I loved them in that respect:favorites13:

x2. I have one on my spare (it's actually oversized..I have to use plumbing tape or electrical tape with it) but I can loosen it by hand with the key. So it's just there for looks, the look might be enough but I agree that if a thief wants it, they'll find a way.

QuickSilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it's just there for looks, the look might be enough but I agree that if a thief wants it, they'll find a way.
Yep, totally agree. As with any theft deterrent, that's the idea whether it's wheel locks, steering wheel "clubs" or even car alarms. A thief with the right tools will easily defeat any consumer grade anti-theft device. But most thefts are crimes of opportunity and getting a petty (as opposed to professional) thief to pass on your property for an easier target is the intention.

That's the reason why I started using wheel locks 20 years ago - some lowlife stole one (yes, one) wheel off my car during the early morning hours. Left my car on an old rusted jackstand. I reported the theft to the police for the insurance claim, and they recommended using wheel locks with the same reasoning I mentioned above.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I worked for a company years ago that paid to get me certified as a locksmith. Lesson One was that locks just keep honest people honest. That's not a bad idea, I think.

I bought the (snark alert!) Gorilla Nuts and put one on the spare. A cheap pipe wrench would obviate the need for the keyed socket, but it might stop Cletus and Elmore from just grabbing the wheel on a whim.

(And no offense to any of our fine members actually named Cletus or Elmore.) ;)

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the tensioner assembly (have the belt already), 2 Wix oil filters (can't get 'em around here), upper and lower radiator hoses (they're looking kinda ugly) and the parking brake hardware kit.

Now to find time to install stuff ;)

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed the new steering rack this afternoon. Would have been a MAJOR headache if not for a How-To over on LOST from Yellocoyote (Jayme) and IHateMyBike (Aaron.) I could kiss you guys! :signs8:

Anyway, here's the old rack coming out...
You must be registered for see images

And the new rack installed...

Steering is tight again and no more fluid pouring out of the passenger side boot. I'm fine with repairs but I really want to install some ARMOR...and stuff :hmm:

Bob

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
My KJ is back together and mobile once again. Transfer case got a new (center) seal, new sensor, and fluid replaced. Rear speed sensor and pigtail replaced. Speedo issues have been corrected, and it seems to behave again... I am going to take it on a longer drive tomorrow to give it time for any potential gremlins to rear their ugly heads before I have to use it for work on Thursday.

Very much happy to be driving it over the van again. :)

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Installed the new steering rack this afternoon. Would have been a MAJOR headache if not for a How-To over on LOST from Yellocoyote (Jayme) and IHateMyBike (Aaron.) I could kiss you guys! :signs8:

Anyway, here's the old rack coming out...

And the new rack installed...

Steering is tight again and no more fluid pouring out of the passenger side boot. I'm fine with repairs but I really want to install some ARMOR...and stuff :hmm:

Bob

Glad to help - anything is better than having to drop the front diff to change the steering rack. :pp:

(Cheers)

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got a compliment on it while leaving the gun shop...definitely a good day....on that note i still have yet to mount my f'in rock sliders....i can hear them crying at night because they feel all alone in the garage.