What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put 245/75 16's on my stock libby. no rubbing anywhere. then went and met up with wally and lostjeeps so ca for a trail run. was told it was moderate yeah for a modified jeep for my lil' Mule it was a challenge but we did it no damage.:roflsquared::badger_1:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put 245/75 16's on my stock libby. no rubbing anywhere. then went and met up with wally and lostjeeps so ca for a trail run. was told it was moderate yeah for a modified jeep for my lil' Mule it was a challenge but we did it no damage.:roflsquared::badger_1:

That's awesome! :party36:

Bob

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
decided im done with dealership service, bought enough bg products to last my jeep the next 10 years (no exaggeration)

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put my stock wheels and dynapros back on for awhile. Need to save some gas and the tread on the duratracs.
Looks odd with small wheels again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Put my stock wheels and dynapros back on for awhile. Need to save some gas and the tread on the duratracs.
Looks odd with small wheels again!

Heck run them,
over 53,000 on my Duratracs and still doing great

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but $110 a week in gas is adding up all highway driving. I can use the savings for jba upper arms later :)

lejeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Said a prayer for it!

On the way home from school, I noticed the power steering having issues and the battery light came on. I pulled over and saw that the engine was smoking and that coolant was everywhere. :icon_sad: The weird thing is that the temperature gauge was at its normal position. My dad thought it might have been a serpentine belt, but we replaced that to no avail. We had it towed home and are now about to try to replace the thermostat.

:(

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Said a prayer for it!

On the way home from school, I noticed the power steering having issues and the battery light came on. I pulled over and saw that the engine was smoking and that coolant was everywhere. :icon_sad: The weird thing is that the temperature gauge was at its normal position. My dad thought it might have been a serpentine belt, but we replaced that to no avail. We had it towed home and are now about to try to replace the thermostat.

:(

The temp gauge is just an idiot light in disguise, can't really trust it. Was the serpentine broke or missing? Any leaks from the left upper part of the radiator ?
Any leaks from the water pump, all areas to look at

lejeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The temp gauge is just an idiot light in disguise, can't really trust it. Was the serpentine broke or missing? Any leaks from the left upper part of the radiator ?
Any leaks from the water pump, all areas to look at

The serpentine looked sort of worn, so, since it was a cheap replacement, we tried replacing it first. Nothing changed, so we checked the thermostat, which turned out to be fine. The radiator seems fine. We checked the water pump (as you suggested) and that was the problem. It was broken and was what must have spewed coolant everywhere. My dad helped me replace the water pump. The coolant was almost all gone, so we then filled it back up. I just took it into the car wash and rinsed the engine area off to get the coolant cleaned up, and it's running great.

Thank you very much!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...The coolant was almost all gone, so we then filled it back up. I just took it into the car wash and rinsed the engine area off to get the coolant cleaned up, and it's running great.

Thank you very much!

Glad you got it back together. Did you use a universal coolant like Prestone? Hope not...You MUST use what's called a HOAT type of coolant - NAPA sells Zerex G-05. There are other brands out there sold at O'Reilly's, etc. AutoZone does not sella HOAT-compliant coolant though they'll tell you there stuff will work fine. Again, only HOAT should be used in the 3.7L. The others will cause degradation of the various plastics other areas of the engine leading to BIG problems down the road.

Trust me...This isn't just a minor technical difference between two different types of coolant brands. The universal coolants are death to these engines. Check the owner's manual for confirmation.

Bob

WarVet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent the whole day researching and comparing various LSD and locking differentials for my 2004 Liberty Renegade...Head is spinning!

Adrian006

Reaction score
Picked up my 07' KJ sport 4x4 from the dealer!! Owned Chev S10, Mazda 3, VW Passat, Caliber,in the past and a few bikes, but probably most excited to get the Libby. Already looking into buying tow hooks and starting to save for skid plates, bumper and possibly OME lift!
(Also never belonged to a forum before. Immediately enthused at everyone's willingness, and capacity to share their knowledge)

lejeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my 5 new BFG AT T/A KOs that I ordered earlier this week installed! :D
You must be registered for see images attach

I then took it off-road a bit...

I'm very happy! drive.gif

lejeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it back together. Did you use a universal coolant like Prestone? Hope not...You MUST use what's called a HOAT type of coolant - NAPA sells Zerex G-05. There are other brands out there sold at O'Reilly's, etc. AutoZone does not sella HOAT-compliant coolant though they'll tell you there stuff will work fine. Again, only HOAT should be used in the 3.7L. The others will cause degradation of the various plastics other areas of the engine leading to BIG problems down the road.

Trust me...This isn't just a minor technical difference between two different types of coolant brands. The universal coolants are death to these engines. Check the owner's manual for confirmation.

Bob
:icon_cry:

I had the generic coolant from Advanced Auto Parts in it for 50-80 miles. I knew that the manual said HOAT, but I was told that this coolant was fine. Could that have done any long-term damage? Has my engine's life been shortened at all or significantly?

Feeling sick to my stomach about this now...

I tried to flush the stuff out of it right now through the radiator drain, but it doesn't seem to work well. I flushed and filled with HOAT twice, but the coolant coming out is still pretty green (OAT stuff).

Will be taking it to the Jeep dealer tomorrow to get the coolant flushed, cleaned, and refilled with the dealer's HOAT.

I'm just hoping I haven't done very much damage.
:icon_cry: Sorry, Jeep :(

P.S. Saying more prayers for my Jeep...

Last edited:

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the last of the parts for my lift in today, except for the rear coils which are on backorder till 4/15 :sad72:
Can't wait to dig into this.:893Chainsaw-Smilie-

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:icon_cry:

I had the generic coolant from Advanced Auto Parts in it for 50-80 miles. I knew that the manual said HOAT, but I was told that this coolant was fine. Could that have done any long-term damage? Has my engine's life been shortened at all or significantly?

Feeling sick to my stomach about this now...

I tried to flush the stuff out of it right now through the radiator drain, but it doesn't seem to work well. I flushed and filled with HOAT twice, but the coolant coming out is still pretty green (OAT stuff).

Will be taking it to the Jeep dealer tomorrow to get the coolant flushed, cleaned, and refilled with the dealer's HOAT.

I'm just hoping I haven't done very much damage.
:icon_cry: Sorry, Jeep :(

P.S. Saying more prayers for my Jeep...

With less than 100 miles with the universal stuff you should be OK. You've made a good choice to have it flushed and refilled with HOAT at the dealership. Will be good now for another 100,000 :smoke2:

Bob

lejeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With less than 100 miles with the universal stuff you should be OK. You've made a good choice to have it flushed and refilled with HOAT at the dealership. Will be good now for another 100,000 :smoke2:

Bob
Thanks! I'm probably at 100-120 miles with the bad stuff in it, but I still need to make the 20 mile trip to get it flushed.

I just hope I didn't knock any miles off my Jeep. I'm already kicking myself enough... :(

Thanks again. My Jeep and I will forever be in debt to you. ;)

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm probably at 100-120 miles with the bad stuff in it, but I still need to make the 20 mile trip to get it flushed.

I just hope I didn't knock any miles off my Jeep. I'm already kicking myself enough... :(

Thanks again. My Jeep and I will forever be in debt to you. ;)

No worries - like I said having it flushed with that low mileage you should be fine.

BTW...What part of Ohio are you from? Based on the landscape in your pics you're in the 'flat part.' Central? Northwest? Lots of KJers spread around the state. When you see a Meet & Greet you should come by and visit :happy160:

Bob