What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Sitting around 22 all around no extras springs n shocks thats it. Here is an old pic for comparison.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At that rate the axle is coming out...

The Vette axles don't just "come out". They're an assembled bearing hub, but it's pressed together and setup with shims for proper backlash.
The trick was to put one shoe in place, attach the springs to that one, then those springs to the other shoe, and then the keeper pin and cup on that second shoe. After they're in place, install the adjuster at the bottom. This, all while yanking in this direction, pulling that direction, banging this knuckle and that, and cussing up a storm. Piece of cake......marble cake!

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never ends.
went to bolt up one of the caliper brackets, and found one of the sliders seized. there's 2 kinds on this thing; square with a rubber sleeve, and oval with no sleeve. I have a spare oval one, can I use that instead? or do I need to go get another kit?

the one on the left I have as as spare. I used the right one and the bolts last time.

Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sitting around 22 all around no extras springs n shocks thats it. Here is an old pic for comparison.

Looking good Jbergun
You went with the OME/Bilstein setup right?
How is the ride so far?

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rides great alignment tomorrow morning only problem is i am getting a knock from the rear shock got to tighten it down better if not i will be searching. Glad its the rear and not the front.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rides great alignment tomorrow morning only problem is i am getting a knock from the rear shock got to tighten it down better if not i will be searching. Glad its the rear and not the front.

Well, hopefully tightening it will resolve the problem
Very excited to install mine, did you do it yourself?
Also, make sure you update that signature!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Did you use the bushing kit or extra washers ?

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, hopefully tightening it will resolve the problem
Very excited to install mine, did you do it yourself?
Also, make sure you update that signature!

Did it myself well with help in my garage. And yes it is the ome bilstein.

Did you use the bushing kit or extra washers ?

I got the washer kit from jba that was for the top right. Came with a metal tube and rubber o rings. I installed the rears with the boot up because thats how the old ones were. Seems like the bottom is moving a little.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tightened the shock up no knock as far as i can tell. Coukdnt have done this without my helper.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never ends.
went to bolt up one of the caliper brackets, and found one of the sliders seized. there's 2 kinds on this thing; square with a rubber sleeve, and oval with no sleeve. I have a spare oval one, can I use that instead? or do I need to go get another kit?

the one on the left I have as as spare. I used the right one and the bolts last time.

I just did my brakes this past weekend and went through the same bs. My rubber sleeved pins were bound up, and the stuck calipers chewed the inner brakes down in 21k miles (right side was steel on steel). If you search online, you'll find this is a common problem, and not just with Jeeps. I bought 2 slide pin sets, couldn't get the oval head one separately, and replaced both rubber pins with straight ones. Worked like a charm, calipers slide nicely now. The only thing I see the rubber one doing, in addition to effing up the pads, is preventing the possible chance of brake harmonics. They serve no physical purpose for fastening the caliper on the bracket. Both holes in the caliper bracket are the same depth, and the straight pins fit either hole the same. I'd be willing to put up with a little noise over bound up calipers any time, but mine are quiet as a mouse.

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
never ends.

It should work. I noticed the difference the last time I did mine and forgot which went where on the side I had disassembled. When I disassembled the other side I had them backwards on the first side but it fit fine. I did swap them back but the diameters were the same except for where the boot went. The rubber boot is just to eliminate rattles or something. Seems like a waste to me.

BTW I had one of my boots fall apart a while back and ran for months with the pin minus the boot. No noise that I could hear.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Tightened the shock up no knock as far as i can tell. Couldnt have done this without my helper...
Your Jeep and your helper are both growing up fast! :D

As for me, drove 400 miles south on my way to South Carolina. I'll drive the rest tomorrow. I still got my workout in though.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep getting an intermittent click no start. Very irritating. I think it's the starter solenoid. What's next starter replacement? [emoji854]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your Jeep and your helper are both growing up fast! :D

As for me, drove 400 miles south on my way to South Carolina. I'll drive the rest tomorrow. I still got my workout in though.

Yep she is too fast. If i can i will teach her to drive in this thing.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
never ends.

So you all don't replace all of the hardware everytime you install new brake pads ??
You should be to get full use , if not then thats why you have pads wearing funny etc

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hand washed & now attaching all the extras for Mondays parade
You must be registered for see images

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a spot yesterday.

Enjoying the views.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have things growing in your Jeep too? I may need a vacuum?
56453[/ATTACH]"]

I don't think the small spider under the front seat was too happy, when it got inhaled by the vacuum.:favorites68:
Time to break out the air compressor. Have not checked the spare in a year or two.
It was sitting at 24 psi, gave wheel a cleaning while there too.
Other tires were a bit low, so now I am good to go after fresh alignment. :gr_grin:
56455[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• Jeep%20Needs%20a%20Vacuum.jpg
    Jeep%20Needs%20a%20Vacuum.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 0
  • 19531.jpg
    19531.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: