Verifying heater core

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to run some symptoms past you guys and try to verify it is my heater core before ordering a new heater core and tearing the dash apart.

The heater is still working as far as I can tell (I don't use it much).
I have not noticed any wet or soggy carpet in the passenger floorboard.
I have not noticed any coolant dripping or running down the inside of the firewall.
(I need to check any hoses or connections on the outside of the firewall).

When I first turn the heater on I get a definite whiff of antifreeze.
I have heard what I would describe as "running water" in the dash.
I would say there is a "film" or "fog" on the windshield.
I have been having to top off the coolant level on a fairly regular basis.
(I have looked for coolant leaks (haven't seen any), but haven't thoroughly searched them out yet. Haven't noticed any signs of a head gasket at this point).

I just wanted to see if this sounded like a heater core to you, or not.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it's clogged. You can flush it relatively easy but you have to be careful. Too much pressure and she'll pop. Either that or you have air in the system...lots of air

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like heater core if getting a film on the windshield , and some antifreeze smell

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you flush it with it still on the Jeep or do I still need to remove it for that?

How do you bleed the system on these? I don't think I have air in the system, but it never hurts to check.

I'm pretty sure there is a film on the windshield. When i put a new sticker on the window i cleaned the window where the sticker goes so it would stick properly. There was a definite film, and you can see the clean spot. I suppose I need to clean the whole windshield and see if it comes back.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it's time for a heater core. Get it before it makes a mess

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk