Myriad of issues after replacing heater core.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jack roykirk

Reaction score
Welp, pPulled everything apart yesterday then took a pool break since it was 90° out. It was pouring this morning so I had to wait until it stopped. I checked the wire harness for any visible signs of damage. I put some electrical tape on spots where it was falling off and put everything back together. Other than that, I swear I didn't do anything different exept threaten the Jeep with setting it on fire and letting it roll into the road.

Well, whatatya know! The windows go up and down, the sunroof opens and closes, the brake lights work, the radio works,the locks work, the gauges work. However the A/C isn't working, though it was before, the cruise control isn't working and the the heater/AC fan isn't working. But the fan was already an issue because the resistor was bad and I had ordered the part for that and they sent me the wrong one so now I have to get the right one.

I think the A/C issue might just be that I didn't seat the plug firmly but that's easily accessible. Right now I'm a happy camper. The nightmare is over ad I think I can figure out the A/C issue and the cruise control issue with a bit of googling and searching the forums here. On the other hand, any advice is still welcome and thanks for the input from all of you.

Last edited:

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being that you removed the steering column, I think that may be your air bag issue. If when removing or installing or storing, that steering wheel got rotated around ( at least once or more ) that the wires in the clockspring are now broken and you will get an air bag light. Of course, it could still be something disconnected, but my money is on that being the issue there.

Both of my KJ are at home, so I am still thinking about what that black and grey connector go with. Given the amount of slack, you have, it seems to me that they may have traveled up the column to where they connect with the mystery mates.
Not familiar with Jeep, but don't wires plug into only one plug? my 94' Chevy Z71 was like that they could only plug one place?

jack roykirk

Reaction score
Definitely is. Everything works except the cruise control and the airbag light is on. The cruise control doesn't work because the clock spring. I can get a whole steering column for 70 bucks from the bone yard. I wonder if that is a good idea though I do get a 90 day warranty. The gray plug is for an up level radio, probably for steering wheel buttons and or navigation. The black and yellow is likely for some other option as there was absolutely nowhere to plug it in. Do you think the boneyard steering column is a good way to go?

As always, thanks for your insight, DadOSix.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely is. Everything works except the cruise control and the airbag light is on. The cruise control doesn't work because the clock spring. I can get a whole steering column for 70 bucks from the bone yard. I wonder if that is a good idea though I do get a 90 day warranty. The gray plug is for an up level radio, probably for steering wheel buttons and or navigation. The black and yellow is likely for some other option as there was absolutely nowhere to plug it in. Do you think the boneyard steering column is a good way to go?

As always, thanks for your insight, DadOSix.
I’d buy the new one. Who knows if that wheel gets turned while pulling the column/

jack roykirk

Reaction score
I’d buy the new one. Who knows if that wheel gets turned while pulling the column/
It hasn't been pulled yet. If I went that route, I'd tell the guy to lock it in place. I'd like to think the guy knows what he's doing. I asked him for just the clock spring but he told me he doesn't sell just the clock spring. I priced them and they ain't cheap.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It hasn't been pulled yet. If I went that route, I'd tell the guy to lock it in place. I'd like to think the guy knows what he's doing. I asked him for just the clock spring but he told me he doesn't sell just the clock spring. I priced them and they ain't cheap.
Fair enough then.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Clocksprings aren't cheap because the factory service manual has an error in it's clockspring installation instructions. Everyone installing "by the book" gives it the recommended extra turn which destroys the new clockspring on the test drive.

My previous dog chewed on my steering wheel and cluster switch so I got a junkyard steering column. You'll need a puller to get the steering wheel off. No hammering on the steering shaft or the bearings will be kaput. Bad dog. Bad FSM.

jack roykirk

Reaction score
Clocksprings aren't cheap because the factory service manual has an error in it's clockspring installation instructions. Everyone installing "by the book" gives it the recommended extra turn which destroys the new clockspring on the test drive.

My previous dog chewed on my steering wheel and cluster switch so I got a junkyard steering column. You'll need a puller to get the steering wheel off. No hammering on the steering shaft or the bearings will be kaput. Bad dog. Bad FSM.
Thanks for the tip, Turbo. I was unaware of that. I'm still considering just swapping out the steering column because I've never pulled a steering wheel before and I don't know how difficult it is. Plus messing with airbags makes me nervous. But then again, I just removed the entire dash of my Jeep just to replace the heater core and how difficult can it be compared to that? Because that was a nightmare.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welp, pPulled everything apart yesterday then took a pool break since it was 90° out. It was pouring this morning so I had to wait until it stopped. I checked the wire harness for any visible signs of damage. I put some electrical tape on spots where it was falling off and put everything back together. Other than that, I swear I didn't do anything different exept threaten the Jeep with setting it on fire and letting it roll into the road.

Well, whatatya know! The windows go up and down, the sunroof opens and closes, the brake lights work, the radio works,the locks work, the gauges work. However the A/C isn't working, though it was before, the cruise control isn't working and the the heater/AC fan isn't working. But the fan was already an issue because the resistor was bad and I had ordered the part for that and they sent me the wrong one so now I have to get the right one.

I think the A/C issue might just be that I didn't seat the plug firmly but that's easily accessible. Right now I'm a happy camper. The nightmare is over ad I think I can figure out the A/C issue and the cruise control issue with a bit of googling and searching the forums here. On the other hand, any advice is still welcome and thanks for the input from all of you.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, Turbo. I was unaware of that. I'm still considering just swapping out the steering column because I've never pulled a steering wheel before and I don't know how difficult it is. Plus messing with airbags makes me nervous. But then again, I just removed the entire dash of my Jeep just to replace the heater core and how difficult can it be compared to that? Because that was a nightmare.
Pulling a steering wheel is much easier than changing the steering column. The airbag comes out as a unit. Airbag electrical connectors are yellow. It was awhile ago so I don't remember all the details. Clocksprings can be gently turned to the stops (destruction tearing points) and then centered. Point the front wheels and steering wheel straight and it should be good.

I hope I never need to replace my heater core.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removing the steering wheel isn't bad...I replaced me heater core and the interior ac unit. If you have a puller (a must actually) it is a piece of cake. The one thing that tripped me up was securing the main set of wires at the left side of the left seat (US Driver) footwell. I did not secure the main bolt and nothing started/ran correctly. Once secured, all was well. It's worth ruling out.

Members online

No members online now.