Prepping for Heater Core Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to know if there are other items I should replace while I have the dash ripped out. I’m also looking for any tips, tricks, and advice for this project.

The main part I’m wondering if I should replace is the A/C evaporator, but I’m all ears for any other parts and pieces to replace.

Thanks, guys.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been in the same situation before when I had to replace my broken air distribution box. I did the heater core at the same time and checked the actuators, but I decided to leave the AC evaporator alone. The reason was that I would need to have the Freon evacuated first, and my AC was still blowing cold. Luckily, the evaporator is still ok these years later.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been in the same situation before when I had to replace my broken air distribution box. I did the heater core at the same time and checked the actuators, but I decided to leave the AC evaporator alone. The reason was that I would need to have the Freon evacuated first, and my AC was still blowing cold. Luckily, the evaporator is still ok these years later.
Was this on your KK?

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m starting to doubt my heater core theory. The antifreeze level hasn’t changed one bit, and the puddles has dried perfectly with no stains in my garage. I put a pan underneath, caught the drip, and it was clear and had no taste (don’t judge me). However, I could have sworn the first bit of drip was antifreeze just based on texture. Who knows, I’ll keep an eye on it and keep the bypass and extra coolant in the trunk.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to know if there are other items I should replace while I have the dash ripped out. I’m also looking for any tips, tricks, and advice for this project.

The main part I’m wondering if I should replace is the A/C evaporator, but I’m all ears for any other parts and pieces to replace.

Thanks, guys.
I did mine 10-14-23 and did not remove dash, just lifted up and back far enough to get at heater-core, steering wheel must be droped, 2 a/c liness on passenger side wass disconnected and 10mm on firewall but if a/c is ok I wouldn't replace it, sockets needed-7mm, 10mm 13mm, philips screwdriverand 6 hours later WALA done

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check all the blend doors and actuators while access is easy.
Blend doors are vaccum opperated, also on firewall vaccum tube runs through a/c tube going through might come lose or break!