Myriad of issues after replacing heater core.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jack roykirk

Reaction score
Hi, folks. I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7 4x4. I have a bunch of issues after I replaced my heater core and yes, it was a nightmare and continues to be. I got everything put back together but now my power windows, locks, radio and sunroof don't work. My fuel gauge and temp gauge work but my speedometer and tach don't. On top of this, my airbag light is on. At least the horn works. I have 2 connectors under the dash that don't seem to connect to anything. I've searched high and low for any connectors that my exist but I have nothing. I googled the images of the connectors. One came up with several possibilities for several vehicles of various brands. one hit came back for lift gate on a late 90s, early 2000's Jeep Grand Cherokee another came up with something to do with towing on dodge Pickup trucks. When I googled it this morning, I couldn't reproduce the same search results. Also, I might add that my airbag light is also on. I've double and triple checked all of the connections except the obvious two that don't appear to have a home. Attached please find the images of the two homeless connectors. Please help me save my sanity before I end up in a rubber room.

Attachments

• connector_1.jpg
    connector_1.jpg
    532.7 KB · Views: 8
  • connector_2.jpg
    connector_2.jpg
    745.4 KB · Views: 8

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jack -

Those do look familiar. I can not tell what colour the wires are coming into the plug, but if you can tell what they are, possibly a look at the dash wiring in the 05 service manual in the electrical section will be what gives you a clue where to look. Also - where under the dash you are finding these.

I has been a long time since I tore the 06 down for the core, so i don’t recall.

If your steering wheel has control buttons, perhaps the black / yellow 6 pin connects under there. How far did you drop the steering column? Removed totally?

jack roykirk

Reaction score
Hi, DadOSix,

Thank you for your response. I pulled the steering column out after I realized I couldn't get the old core out without doing so. My arms have some nice bruises from trying to do so.

These connectors are both under the steering column. to the right. The gray one has a reach of about 11 inches and is pigtail off of the main. There is a yellow with a red stripe, a black with an orange stripe, a green with a gray stripe a green with a brown or maroon stripe. The colors are quite hard to discern (image 1).

The black and yellow connector has a length of 12 inches and it also a pigtail off of the main. There is purple with a black stripe, a white with brown stripe, a what looks like a gray with purple stripe, a gray and yellow, a gray and white and a brown and purple stripe. (image 2) Please note, these colors look different under daylight.

There doesn't seem to be any connector in reach of either of them.

I can't help but think the issues is connected to the ignition switch because normally when you turn on the key to accessory position, you can roll the windows up and down, turn on the radio, open the sun roof, etc. But then again, if I press the lock button on my key, the running lights and tail lights flash but that is all. Using the key, I can open the back glass. Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I will look at the manual some more. I also have downloaded the 2005 KJ service manual but a lot of it is Greek to me.

Attachments

• gray connector.jpg
    gray connector.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 4
  • black and yellow.jpg
    black and yellow.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 4

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being that you removed the steering column, I think that may be your air bag issue. If when removing or installing or storing, that steering wheel got rotated around ( at least once or more ) that the wires in the clockspring are now broken and you will get an air bag light. Of course, it could still be something disconnected, but my money is on that being the issue there.

Both of my KJ are at home, so I am still thinking about what that black and grey connector go with. Given the amount of slack, you have, it seems to me that they may have traveled up the column to where they connect with the mystery mates.

jack roykirk

Reaction score
That sounds reasonable as the steering wheel did spin around. I also have an airbag error code: P0581.

jack roykirk

Reaction score
So, I did some rooting around in the service manual and came across these two drawings that seem to match the images I posted. The black and yellow one is likely the rear wiper motor. I checked to see if the rear wiper is functioning and it isn't. I will have to see where it connects up tomorrow. It appears the gray one is for the radio and isn't used because I have the baseline radio and it's for an upgraded version. So it appears neither of these plugs have anything to do with the issues I am experiencing.

Attachments

• Rear Wiper Motor.png
    Rear Wiper Motor.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Radio Choke (Midline-Premium).png
    Radio Choke (Midline-Premium).png
    48.1 KB · Views: 5

jack roykirk

Reaction score
Some good news moving in the right direction. I found a post here posted by Billwill mentioning a test called the Cluster Exerciser for the instrument panel by holding the trip reset button and turning the key on. It ran through the test and boom! The tach and speedometer are now functioning. In the meantime I found another issue. My brake lights aren't working. One step forward, one step back.

I'm going to start going through fuses now.

Last edited:

jack roykirk

Reaction score
Additional information for anyone who can help. I went through the fuses that might be related to the issues I'm experiencing. I've checked them all and they appear to be intact. I'm looking at the wiring schematics but the service manual I'm looking at says 2005 KJ Diesel Service Manual. I downloaded it from a link provided by a user who posted it here. I've searched high and low for the manual that says it's for the 3.7 liter gasoline engine to no avail. Is the wiring basically the same. Does it even matter?

This is a list of fuses that I checked.

Inside the vehicle:

Cavity 15: amp blue: horn relay, power sunroof relay, power window relay. The horn works but the sunroof and windows do not.

Cavity 6: 20 amp yellow: body control module/power locks

Cavity 12: 15 amp blue: stop lamps

Cavity 17: 15 amp blue: rear wiper

Cavity 21: 10 amp red: radio

Cavity 36: 10 amp red: airbag control module/occupation classification module (right front seat). The airbag error may be the clockspring as pointed out by DadOSix.

Cavity 37: 10 amp red: airbag control module. this may also be related to the clockspring

Under hood:

Cavity F13: 40 amp green: windows

I'm not adept at reading wiring diagrams but I'm trying to make heads or tails of it. Anyway, I can't help but think it is related to a common ground under the dash or something that got disconnected.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me figure this out. Though I can drive the vehicle, the brake lights not working prohibits that.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, folks. I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7 4x4. I have a bunch of issues after I replaced my heater core and yes, it was a nightmare and continues to be. I got everything put back together but now my power windows, locks, radio and sunroof don't work. My fuel gauge and temp gauge work but my speedometer and tach don't. On top of this, my airbag light is on. At least the horn works. I have 2 connectors under the dash that don't seem to connect to anything. I've searched high and low for any connectors that my exist but I have nothing. I googled the images of the connectors. One came up with several possibilities for several vehicles of various brands. one hit came back for lift gate on a late 90s, early 2000's Jeep Grand Cherokee another came up with something to do with towing on dodge Pickup trucks. When I googled it this morning, I couldn't reproduce the same search results. Also, I might add that my airbag light is also on. I've double and triple checked all of the connections except the obvious two that don't appear to have a home. Attached please find the images of the two homeless connectors. Please help me save my sanity before I end up in a rubber room.
Did you do the replacement yourself? I'm planning on doing heater-core in my 2004 in late September, what the problems you're experienceing?

jack roykirk

Reaction score
Did you do the replacement yourself? I'm planning on doing heater-core in my 2004 in late September, what the problems you're experienceing?
Yep, I did. Mistakes were made. Windows not working, brake lights not working, power locks not working, sunroof not working, radio not working, rear wiper not working. The brake lights is the killer. The vehicle is undriveable without them. Whatever you do, do not remove the steering wheel like I did.

I think it may be a grounding issue and I'm trying to makes heads or tails of the wiring schematics right now. It would be nice if someone had an actual detailed photo of the inside wiring harness with labels and everything. I can't find one anywhere on the internet.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I did. Mistakes were made. Windows not working, brake lights not working, power locks not working, sunroof not working, radio not working, rear wiper not working. The brake lights is the killer. The vehicle is undriveable without them. Whatever you do, do not remove the steering wheel like I did.

I think it may be a grounding issue and I'm trying to makes heads or tails of the wiring schematics right now. It would be nice if someone had an actual detailed photo of the inside wiring harness with labels and everything. I can't find one anywhere on the internet.
I am not so sure that black connector is to your wiper module. You show 6 wires and the manual photo has a 6 pin connector along with only 5 pins populated.

Have a look at the brake switch mounted to your pedal. 6 wires IIRC.

jack roykirk

Reaction score
I am not so sure that black connector is to your wiper module. You show 6 wires and the manual photo has a 6 pin connector along with only 5 pins populated.

Have a look at the brake switch mounted to your pedal. 6 wires IIRC.
Hi, DadOSix. Coincidentally, I just looked at that about an hour ago and there was already a cable plugged into it. I'm currently looking at the wire grounding portion in electrical section of the service manual. I believe I'm starting to gain a little bit of understanding about the diagrams. However, it appears the radio and the A/C system are on the same ground. The A/C works but the radio doesn't so I may be barking up the wrong tree. I also noticed that many of the systems currently not working are all attached to the same ground - G302. This goes on my assumption that the numbers preceded by a G are grounding points.

these are the other systems that are all on the same ground but don't work:
Passenger door lock motor/Ajar switch G302
Passenger power mirror G302
Right door lock switch G302
Right rear door lock switch G302
Driver door lock/ajar switch G302
Power mirror switch G302
Passenger power mirror G302
Right door lock switch G302

Center High Mounted Stop Lamp: G303
Rear wiper motor G303
Sunroof motor G303 This one is confusing because there is other info contrary to this listing three optional grounding points.

Rear power outlet: G304
License lamp: G304
Left tail/stop lamp: G304
Right tail/stop lamp: G304

Let me know if I'm reading this information correctly. I'm on a learning curve here.

Thx.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JacK -

I am thinking you left a ground wire off when you removed the battery cables.

Bear with this a bit -

If you look in the service manual sec 8w - 91 (06 manual) that starts the section where the electrical connectors and grounds are found. If we chase your G302, G303, G304, they have nothing in common that I can see that you may have disrupted, save for an attachment at the negative terminal of the battery. Check carefully for a corroded eyelet or such. One of my best you-tube guys (Eric O., South Main Auto) calls this the ‘green crusties’.

g105 ang g106 start at the battery

If not at the battery, pop the cluster back out and take a good look at those bolts that mount the dash to the firewall in that area. I recall eyelets either there or over on the left kick panel around where a traditional emergency brake would have been mounted.

I wish I had a KJ here on vacation with me. Much easier to look instead of scrolling thru the digital manuals.

8W-15 details the electrical connectors more precisely, where sec 91 shows the location on the jeep.

Without a good meter or power-probe tool, it is going to be hard to tell.

Hopefully this makes some sense!

Check the colours carefully on the stop (brake light) lamp switch with 8w_80_108. I can’t make the picture you posted match with what 108 says for the stop lamp. If what is connected to your stop lamp switch matches, this rogue one you have is still a mystery.

jack roykirk

Reaction score
JacK -

I am thinking you left a ground wire off when you removed the battery cables.

Bear with this a bit -

If you look in the service manual sec 8w - 91 (06 manual) that starts the section where the electrical connectors and grounds are found. If we chase your G302, G303, G304, they have nothing in common that I can see that you may have disrupted, save for an attachment at the negative terminal of the battery. Check carefully for a corroded eyelet or such. One of my best you-tube guys (Eric O., South Main Auto) calls this the ‘green crusties’.

g105 ang g106 start at the battery

If not at the battery, pop the cluster back out and take a good look at those bolts that mount the dash to the firewall in that area. I recall eyelets either there or over on the left kick panel around where a traditional emergency brake would have been mounted.

I wish I had a KJ here on vacation with me. Much easier to look instead of scrolling thru the digital manuals.

8W-15 details the electrical connectors more precisely, where sec 91 shows the location on the jeep.

Without a good meter or power-probe tool, it is going to be hard to tell.

Hopefully this makes some sense!

Check the colours carefully on the stop (brake light) lamp switch with 8w_80_108. I can’t make the picture you posted match with what 108 says for the stop lamp. If what is connected to your stop lamp switch matches, this rogue one you have is still a mystery.

jack roykirk

Reaction score
DadOSix,

I just replaced the negative battery cable connector about six weeks ago. The bolts were so rusty they were fused together and I had to drill the bolts out and cut through them with a hacksaw. I was careful not to damage the eyelet on the ground cable and I cleaned it and both battery posts up really well with a wire brush and some 180 grit sandpaper on the battery posts before putting the new connector on it.

I decided I had nothing to lose by pulling the dash back out and inspect the harness visually from end to end. Aside from the old electrical tape unraveling in spots, it appeared intact. I'm going to give it a once over again tomorrow and re-tape spots where it has unraveled. This will give me the opportunity to really give it a thorough inspection.

I found the three ground wires on the metal plate attached to the dashboard on the left side, two small ones right next to each other behind the kick panel and a big one way up under the dash. While I didn't disconnect the big ground, I did disconnect the two small ones when I first pulled the dash. I'm going to clean up the the studs and the area around them because the plate is a bit rusty so as to make sure I have good solid contacts.

Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate your taking the time out from your vacation to provide me with some insight into the issues I'm having.

Regards,
Jack

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to say wiring only plug into one place only.

jack roykirk

Reaction score
I pulled the dash again. I'm going to mark every connector and it's corresponding mate. Right now it doesn't appear that I missed any connectors. I know what the extra gray one is already. The black and yellow one still remains TBD but It doesn't appear to have a mate. I'm going to visually inspect the entire wire harness. I cleaned up the ground connections but I'm going to wait until this evening when it cools off to start effing around with it. Besides, the lawn needs mowing. It's going to be hot, so out of the fire and into the frying pan.