Heater core replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good write-up out there for doing a heater core replacement? Found a few vids on youtube, but was wondering if there was anything additional to help guide me.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good write-up out there for doing a heater core replacement? Found a few vids on youtube, but was wondering if there was anything additional to help guide me.
I did mine and spent 6 hours replacing heater-core! sockets needed 7mm 10mm 13mm 14mm, center console must come out, hand crabs on both sides, kick panels both sides, drop steering wheel, speedometer cluster remove, radio, front a/c cover, OUTSIDE= remove coolant resivor there are several 10mm to remove remove vacuum line, split a/c lines aat canister, to push back lines into cabin of jeep. Back inside there's 4 13 mm bolts on top 1 13mm on kick panel each side, then there's a solid aluminum cast piece (stay)behind odometeer with 7mm and 10mm screws and bolts and acrosss the whole dash as well. (2 people required to lift up dash a bit and back enough to lift heater-core out. good luck like I said I spent 6 hours with mine

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I'll make sure I have those sockets in hand when I start. Some people claim the a/c lines don't need to be separated, just unbracketed in spots. Guess I'll find out when I tear into it. Not looking fwd to the job, but the fog (and smell) is getting worse.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I'll make sure I have those sockets in hand when I start. Some people claim the a/c lines don't need to be separated, just unbracketed in spots. Guess I'll find out when I tear into it. Not looking fwd to the job, but the fog (and smell) is getting worse.
They sell a recirculate tube and re-route water flow? I did mine and drove like that for nine months, but it's an ugly job!

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They sell a recirculate tube and re-route water flow? I did mine and drove like that for nine months, but it's an ugly job!
My brother in law did that on a couple of his cars, in the winter I'd insist on driving, even if we were going to the pub!

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 schools of thought here -

1 - try to do the job without loss of ac. I wasted a LOT of time doing my first kj like this, only to have ro repeat when the evaporator core needed replaced a few months later. Most do not pull the hvac box totally out and do a lot of wiggle work.

2 - replace both heater core and evap at the same time. Split the lines ( after recovering the refrigerant) and pull the box all the way out. Check blend doors etc while it is out.

Enjoy!

exacerbated

I think I made it worse.
Reaction score
2 schools of thought here -

1 - try to do the job without loss of ac. I wasted a LOT of time doing my first kj like this, only to have ro repeat when the evaporator core needed replaced a few months later. Most do not pull the hvac box totally out and do a lot of wiggle work.

2 - replace both heater core and evap at the same time. Split the lines ( after recovering the refrigerant) and pull the box all the way out. Check blend doors etc while it is out.

Enjoy!

I swear I saw this horse move. It requires further beating:

Which school of thought do you belong to? I'm gearing up for Option 2, but I'm on the wrong side of Experience to have an opinion.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swear I saw this horse move. It requires further beating:

Which school of thought do you belong to? I'm gearing up for Option 2, but I'm on the wrong side of Experience to have an opinion.
Both at the same time. Did just the evap once and heater core about 4 mos later. Lots of adult language issued, even though it went faster that time.

Members online

No members online now.