Trans Cooler Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to replace the OEM transmission cooler with a larger aftermarket cooler to get better fluid cooling to eliminate Trans Temp warnings. What is the best unit with quality and price in mind? Recommendations from anyone who has done this?

I found a post about a check ball being in the flexible line coming from the trans into the stock trans cooler. Has anyone found a check ball in the trans cooler line? Sounds far fetched to me, but would like to know if anyone has found one. Will check my libby when I add the cooler.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of replacing the trans cooler you may do better to use the in-radiator cooler and plumb it inline with the existing factory cooler in front of the radiator.

If you buy a radiator for an '02 or early '03 it will have the in-rad cooler in it. The link below has a pic showing the plumbing; the first part is about adding the HD cooling fan and shroud.

HD Cooling Fans Installed

Bob

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of replacing the trans cooler you may do better to use the in-radiator cooler and plumb it inline with the existing factory cooler in front of the radiator.

If you buy a radiator for an '02 or early '03 it will have the in-rad cooler in it. The link below has a pic showing the plumbing; the first part is about adding the HD cooling fan and shroud.

HD Cooling Fans Installed

Bob
X2................

Just replacing a stand alone trans cooler to a larger one will not keep the trans cooler when pushing it,it will however cause issues in cold weather that you may not like.

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the TwoBobs set up on mine and it works good. I cut out the flexible sections that are right before the radiator when I did this. Both were leaking so figure the heck with it. If I am cutting one I will do both. No more leaks there but since it is a Jeep I am sure a new one will develop somewhere.

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been hard to get thru link, could you please write it again? Thanks!