Transmission system overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scoot

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Jeep liberty with a stock engine. I was out off-roading and my transfer case or torque converter was slipping. The engine would rev up but the tires wouldn't spin it was extra noticeable when going up a rutted out hill. The transmission temp light was on and I had a check engine light that was preventing the transmission from shifting into 1st. So I let it sit for about 20 minutes with the engine running so the fans stay on and it worked ok after that. Later i checked my transmission fluid on the dipstick and it was definitely burnt. I was able to drive it home about 30 miles without issue after letting cool. Has anyone else had a similar issue? If you have any solutions you recommend? It seems like the 02 liberty has a transmission cooler built into the radiator. So I was thinking getting a 02 radiator and using the stock trans cooler. Does anyone know of a good solution?

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can try replacing the fluid, but if it's already burnt, then you likely cooked the clutches. You can disconnect the trans cooler hoses and blow compressed air in and see if it is blocked. If it is blocked you can replace the rad assembly or get an after market external cooler.

Other option is take it into a trans shop, you may be in for an overhaul regardless.

Scoot

Reaction score
thank you I am definitely going to drain the fluid to get a better look at it I'm hoping I didn't kill my trans

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you I am definitely going to drain the fluid to get a better look at it I'm hoping I didn't kill my trans
Even if you did, it's cheaper long term to get an overhaul vs buying a new vehicle, which has no guarantee of being reliable even if you drive it right off the lot.

Remove the pan, replace the filter and inspect for any chunks of metal or clips. If you see anything like that it's over haul time. I would also suggest opening the filter itself and inspect for any debris.

I'm assuming your fan(s) are working. I installed the HD cooling system on mine, which is a different electric fan and a clutch fan. Can't have too much cooling in most cases.

Scoot

Reaction score
I have the HD package on mine I was going to check and make sure the electric fan is working, I think I'm also going to replace the radiator with the one that came in the 02 because it has a trans cooler built in and then I'll run 2 coolers the one in the radiator and the one that's already on it. I think the clutch is still ok since i was able to drive it home without issue but I will definitely inspect the oil. Thank you for your help!

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind changing the fluid might make things worse for the transmission.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a 2020 wrangler in for a ticking noise. Guy needs new cam shafts, wore through one of the intake cam lobes. Warranty expired too
Keep in mind changing the fluid might make things worse for the transmission.

why is that?
Everything that is causing it to fail may also be holding it all together. In a situation like that the grub built up in it could actually be helping it maintain line pressure for example. A very worn transmission will be worse off than one that is only just show signs of going.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
When you get a transmission temp light, the factory manual recommends new ATF+4 fluid ASAP.
Go to a transmission shop. Ask them to read any stored or pending transmission codes.
Record any stored codes.
Then drop the pan & look for particulate matter/clutch material etc.
It may just require new ATF+4 & filter?

Consider investing in a machined PML 42RLE aluminum transmission pan, they keep fluid much cooler.
The OEM stamped steel pans stay very hot & may warp/ leak.
I never got a temp light again after installing the PML pan.
Note the 42RLE LubeLocker gasket,
You must be registered for see images attach

Scoot

Reaction score
thank you very much I will definitely drain the fluid and will look into getting a new pan

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you get a transmission temp light, the factory manual recommends new ATF+4 fluid ASAP.
Go to a transmission shop. Ask them to read any stored or pending transmission codes.
Record any stored codes.
Then drop the pan & look for particulate matter/clutch material etc.
It may just require new ATF+4 & filter?

Consider investing in a machined PML 42RLE aluminum transmission pan, they keep fluid much cooler.
The OEM stamped steel pans stay very hot & may warp/ leak.
I never got a temp light again after installing the PML pan.
Note the 42RLE LubeLocker gasket,
You must be registered for see images attach
That's a sexy pano_O

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What LibertyTC said plus order a PML 42RLE aluminum transmission pan with temp sensor hole, and add a temp sensor. I have a 2002-2003 radiator with the built in transmission cooler in line with the OEM upgraded heavy duty transmission cooler. However, while off-roading (mountain ascending mostly), the transmission oil gets 110-115oC (230-240oF). When it does I stop and let it cool for a while. So, for the 42RLE, it is very useful to have a Transmission Temp gauge, as the transmission does get hot. Some things that help is, when ascending put it in 2 gear, or set the transfer to low gearing again in a certain gear. Ascending in D, doesn't help as gear changing increases transmission temperature...

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I can imagine in Greece how hot the kj can get. It it great that you can read from the Pml's temp sensor.
Allowing it to cool down is a good idea.
Somewhere in the manual they recommend placing jeep in neutral, brakes on, and lifting the hood allowing the jeep to cool down.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score

1ino

Reaction score
Sounds like its too late to waste money on fluid change, I would get it rebuilt and replace the torque converter, of by a used one that is not burnt, I have had nothing but good luck buying used transmissions, as a matter of fact I just bought and engine with 96k and the car has a transmission they are selling.
Not sure they will ship, let me know if you want info.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Jeep liberty with a stock engine. I was out off-roading and my transfer case or torque converter was slipping. The engine would rev up but the tires wouldn't spin it was extra noticeable when going up a rutted out hill. The transmission temp light was on and I had a check engine light that was preventing the transmission from shifting into 1st. So I let it sit for about 20 minutes with the engine running so the fans stay on and it worked ok after that. Later i checked my transmission fluid on the dipstick and it was definitely burnt. I was able to drive it home about 30 miles without issue after letting cool. Has anyone else had a similar issue? If you have any solutions you recommend? It seems like the 02 liberty has a transmission cooler built into the radiator. So I was thinking getting a 02 radiator and using the stock trans cooler. Does anyone know of a good solution?
I have a 2004 liberty 4x4 and shift solenoid want out, drove it for a while went into limp mode several times, drove home in second gear and burned up transmission (42RLE) $2900. later I'm back on the road. Tip my trany cooler sits below the bumper, I raised it up into the airflow, held up twisst ties and runs 30 degrees cooler. Also buy a trany pan with drain plug, as I change my trany fluid like engine oil especially when 4 wheeling.

Scoot

Reaction score
Here is an update for anyone wants to know or is having a similar issue. I drained the transmission fluid and everything looked good so transmission and T case are ok. I also replaced the radiator with one from AutoZone that was for the 02 Liberty. I only test drove it once as I am working on building a bumper. Now I have dual trans coolers running inline first it goes through the stock cooler then through the radiator. I will post again when I start driving it more. Thank you to everyone who helped and gave suggestions.