HD Cooling Fans Installed - Finally...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after embarrassing myself earlier this summer by ordering the wrong HD shroud and fan (was for a WJ) I assembled all the appropriate parts and got it installed today. Total time: 30 minutes

The parts:
  • HD Shroud and electric fan
  • HD mechanical nylon fan
  • Hayden Severe Duty viscous fan clutch

Pulled the original standard duty electric fan.
You must be registered for see images

The hole between the radiator and the engine.

The Hayden clutch bolted to the Mopar nylon fan and the HD shroud/electric fan assembly.

To install the HD shroud/electric fan assembly you must put the mechanical fan inside the shroud, slide the shroud in front of the rad, and then screw the clutch onto the water pump before tightening the shroud to the radiator assembly and attaching the electrical connectors.

Installed - overhead view.

Driver's side view.

A quick video of engine running after install.

And for those wondering what the plumbing looks like to connect the in-rad transmission cooler to the standalone cooler in front of the rad - here ya go:

Should help keep the ****** cooler while towing the boat and when wheeling - plus keep the A/C happy on 95 degree summer days.

Bob

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always heard the exact opposite when it comes to pulling air at low speeds. My electric fan pulls some decent air when its on HI...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My AC works great in the city....but mine had the fans from the factory. So I'm not sure what it's like without.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed the A/C is cooler in city and stop & go traffic since I put in the HD. It's not as hot here as it was last week but my AC would always warm up a bit in the city until I started moving steadily again. It seems the mechanical fan is pulling a consistent, higher flow of air when I'm moving slowly or stopped compared to what the other electric-only system was able to do. But that's the point of it, right?

Bob

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say that some of it has to do with the in-rad ****** cooler too. It looks like it first goes through the radiator cooler and then up front to the external cooler. That has to take a considerable amount of heat away from up front. I think just a mechanical fan would help but maybe not as much as the complete setup. ???? just thinking...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd say it has more to do with the mech fan working in series with the electric fan. I've been considering putting in a second electric fan in series with the stock electric fan. Figured I'd make it come on if the stock fan was on but also have a switch so I can manually turn it on.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An interesting tidbit regarding the two fans in the HD setup...

When looking from the front of the Jeep the electric fan spins in a clockwise direction - but the mechanical fan turns in a counter-clockwise or anti-clockwise direction. There is an aerodynamic reason for this that I don't fully understand but it would seem there's an accelerating effect when the electric forces air into the path of the mechanical fan blades spinning in the opposite direction. I guess if they both spun in the same direction the second fan wouldn't add that much air speed through the cooling system.

Hmmm....

Bob

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Bob how has that fan been treating ya? I hesitated due to finances and now the kit is discontinued.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Bob how has that fan been treating ya? I hesitated due to finances and now the kit is discontinued.

Still running strong - no issues at all. Had my ****** flushed a few weeks ago and the tech commented on the double cooler setup - said it helped keep the trans temps from spiking just as tjkj2002 has mentioned before. The fluid was nice and pink, no shavings in the pan...

Are you saying the fan kit I show in my first post in this thread is discontinued or are you referencing the OEM kit?

Bob

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oem kit that I found is. I gotta stop by the dealer today so I might as well ask.