Them's The Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flytonehundred

Reaction score
I'd say you're missing it then...it had it at some point. :happy175:

Will do! I hate messing with the parking brakes on these. It's a pain.
Weird. We've had it since new, and I think I'm the only one to ever touch the brakes. Ours looks like this (no adjuster lever.)

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine actually looks like that diagram. I think...I'm not sure. But mine self adjusted.

Did you try doing to self adjust procedure?

flytonehundred

Reaction score
Mine actually looks like that diagram. I think...I'm not sure. But mine self adjusted.

Did you try doing to self adjust procedure?
Mine has the spring up at the parking brake handle to take up cable slack (as I think they all do), but nothing that would turn/ratchet the star nut in the brakes. I just set it manually. I'm guessing they may have been delivered both ways?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I can't recall seeing that lever piece in mine either. But mine self adjusted fine.

I'm not 100% sure that the self adjusting takes place at the star wheel. I thought that was more for big adjustments.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has the spring up at the parking brake handle to take up cable slack (as I think they all do), but nothing that would turn/ratchet the star nut in the brakes. I just set it manually. I'm guessing they may have been delivered both ways?

I can't recall seeing that lever piece in mine either. But mine self adjusted fine.

I'm not 100% sure that the self adjusting takes place at the star wheel. I thought that was more for big adjustments.

The self adjustment is in the cable. It actually "adjusts" or tightens the mechanism attached to the cable itself.

@Prof - I agree with everyone...try backing the star adjuster off as much as you can. Then you should be able to slide everything off.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if some of you confused about the adjustment on the parking brake might be talking drum vs disc brakes. Or maybe I'm confused. That has happened once or twice.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Just wondering if some of you confused about the adjustment on the parking brake might be talking drum vs disc brakes. Or maybe I'm confused. That has happened once or twice.

Combo deal. Rear brakes on most Libertys are "discs" with a "drum" parking brake. The parking brake drum is cast into the rotor/disc.

And to others who don't have a self-adjuster lever it may be possible for one of the springs to lie against the star adjuster acting as a "pawl" same as the lever providing the ratcheting mechanism enabling the self-adjuster to turn one direction only. Or it fell out.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^ I take it Prof was successful in removing the rotor today?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
56992[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Time to clear up some stuff, lol. The above shows drum brakes, as in what my 02 has. The disc brake parking brake assembly drawing posted doesn't show a self adjuster at the star wheel, because it doesn't have one. Initial adjustment is made manually at the wheels; with e-brake off, adjust the star wheel till the shoes just start to drag. It's done the same way conventional drum brakes are adjusted. The "self adjusting" happens at the pull handle. There is a wind up clutch spring at the base of the handle assembly. If the e-brake isn't grabbing with the handle pulled up, then it's likely the clutch is gunked up and slipping. Then, you'll want to try soaking down/cleaning the clutch with brake cleaner, with a catch rag beneath it.

Attachments

• Brake%20Hat3.jpg
    Brake%20Hat3.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 0

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
^ I take it Prof was successful in removing the rotor today?
Yes. And I was so worn out afterward that I didn't even have the energy for a post-game wrap up.

Here is the MUCH shortened version:

1) After your advice Saturday night I was pretty sure the parking brake was at the root of the problem. I got a ride to the auto parts store and picked up new pads and hardware for both sides. I originally wanted to do them anyway, so this was fine with me.

2) Went out yesterday and gave the stubborn rotor a few more love taps. Thanks to the diagram LibertyTC posted of the parking brake stuff inside I had a good idea what was causing the rotor to want to spring back before it could break free. No more luck than I had had the day before...but...

3) Having the parts on hand to re-do EVERYTHING gave me the luxury of bashing away, since I didn't have to worry about trying to reuse the old parking brake stuff. And bash I did. I laid into that thing like a madman. It finally broke free and with its dying breath managed to land on my ankle. I have a nice bruise now, but I was happy to have the thing finally off of there.

4) When the rotor came off, all of the parking brake parts fell out in a heap on the ground. Something in there was caught on the back of the rotor, just as a few of you had guessed.

5) I am now an expert on Liberty parking brake replacement. I know about 150 ways you CAN'T put new ones in, and at least two ways that WILL work.

6) The actual brake and rotor installation was an anti-******. Much easier than the front end. I drove carefully around the parking lot at slow speed and made quite a few gentle stops. Things worked well enough that after ten minutes of this I did a five mile jaunt around town. Max speed was 35mph and I let the Jeep slow to well below that before applying the brakes. No noise*, no pulling, no problem.

7) Today I went to the gym and was a little bolder. I still didn't exceed 35mph, but stopped in a more "normal" way. (Which is to say that I didn't start coasting to a stop two blocks before the stop sign, etc.)

Two things remain:

1) The parking brakes need to be adjusted. There is lots of info here on doing that so I think I can get it taken care of when I have time.

2) *There is a soft whirring noise coming from the rear brakes. Not really a scraping, definitely not a banging or rattling, just a mild shoop-shoop I can only hear at slow speed with all four windows down. I'm assuming this is normal until the new parts seat themselves. There is no disfiguration of the rotors at all that I can see, and like I mentioned before, no pulling or other problems. Is this normal? If so, how soon can I expect it to go away?

Aren't you glad I didn't post the LONG version? :gr_grin:

Anyway, thanks so much for all of the good advice. Despite the problems with the stuck rotor, things pretty much went by the plan. I really appreciate all of your help! :favorites13:

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Give it some time, maybe till you install your lift. Did you lube the slide pins and shims?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Give it some time, maybe till you install your lift. Did you lube the slide pins and shims?
Yes, I lubed the slide pins. On the rear it didn't say anything about lubing the new flat pieces which attach to the caliper. Should I have done that? :Insane:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if it is the aluminum backing plate. I wasn't kidding when I said I pounded on that thing like a maniac. chairshot.gif

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, I lubed the slide pins. On the rear it didn't say anything about lubing the new flat pieces which attach to the caliper. Should I have done that? :Insane:

Yeah, I usually brush them with some anti-seize, not a shit ton though, just a light smear.

If the backing plate is loose that could be a problem. Especially if the rivets are gone.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...If the backing plate is loose that could be a problem. Especially if the rivets are gone.
I saw some rivet heads on the ground amidst the rest of the parts after the rotor finally came off. I have no idea where they came from, but that's looking like it might be a good place to start looking...

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't really looked too hard yet but haven't driven it all that much, either. I did drive to the gym yesterday and went out today to drop my springs off to be compressed. it looks like the swishing noise went away on its own. I'm thinking the new pads might just have needed to be settled in a little.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That's great. I like it when ignoring stuff turns out to be the right thing to do.