Them's The Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
About the worst thing you could run into is a stuck caliper or slide pin. But I doubt that since your KJ is pretty new. Just remember that we're all going to be waiting for you to finish so we can compare times of fastest brake jobs and pay out cash prizes. No pressure :D

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
any LAPS will take it for free.
That's good. I've had 5 quarts of oil on the floor in the back seat since Sunday. I'll just take the whole mess over there, hopefully on Saturday afternoon. :)

About the worst thing you could run into is a stuck caliper or slide pin. But I doubt that since your KJ is pretty new. Just remember that we're all going to be waiting for you to finish so we can compare times of fastest brake jobs and pay out cash prizes. No pressure :D
I could use a cash prize to pay off the parts. I'll look you up as soon as I am done. :D

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Trouble...

The front end went smoothly. I went slow, referred to my instructions frequently, then took a short test drive and everything worked fine. I dodged a 30-minute popup thunderstorm, then went back out to try and finish the rear.

I cannot get the driver's side rear rotor off. It wants to go cockeyed and cannot be removed at this point. It definitely feels like it's catching on something.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the side with the emergency brake stuff, right?

After pounding on it for half an hour and with more rain starting up I decided to call it a night. I was able to get the rotor back in place and bolt the wheel back on so it should be safe on the edge of the parking lot. (It's not torqued down, but I have it on pretty tight.) I still have the jack stand under it so there is no weight on the wheel.

The front rotors were easy to get off. The front passenger's side came off by hand and the front driver's side took one tap with the 4 lb. hammer to pop free. This rear driver's side is stuck on something.

What do I try next?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's probably rusted on. Mine was the same way. Try spraying some pb blaster on the studs and it might seep in. Pound on the face like you're installing it too, sometimes it's easier to loosen it that way. Make sure the ebrake isn't stuck on (if you can rotate the tire by hand you should be ok).

What kind of hammer are you using? I use a sledge hammer.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
What would it be rusted to?

I have sprayed gobs of PB Blaster in there. The rotor actually clears the hub for the most part. There is a flat thin metal plate behind the rotor which is loose everywhere but the corner that is sticking. Could it be rusted to that?

I also pounded it back into place several times and started over, trying to space my 4 lb. hammer taps equally around the back of the rotor to keep it even. It always hangs in the same place and almost wants to spring back into place.

Could my parking brake have fallen to pieces and be hanging on something? I use it every time I park the Jeep and it does (or did) work as good as ever. (Which is not great, but that's normal from what I've heard.)

The wheel does spin but I did not think to spin it all the way around. Should I?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think that metal plate behind the rotor should be loose. I think that's the backing plate for the parking brake. Or a dust shield, I can't remember.

It could be getting hung up on the axle hub but I don't think it would be that bad. Mine had the factory rotors on it at 140k when I did them and they came off in a few hits. Something is probably awry with the parking brake assembly that could've happened with the pounding.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking something came loos in the parking brake and is catching on the rotor. Is that a possibility? If it is, what do you do? :help:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Can you get it back flush? If you can, I don't think anything is out of place. Maybe the parking brake shoes are binding on the rotor hub and that's the springyness you're feeling. Try backing the adjuster off (behind the rubber cover). I forgot which way is which but I think it's pretty intuitive. Count the number of clicks to reset it back.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's back flush now. I think your idea about the parking brake shoes sounds the most logical.

The funny thing is, the vibrations seemed to be coming from the rear passenger side. I thought the parking brake was on that side and anticipated some possible problems. I also originally planned to re-do the parking brake as well, but it seemed like so much trouble I decided to leave well enough alone. It was working, after all...

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
To back off the parking brake, which way do I rotate the star adjuster? I think the parking brake has something stuck or broken off and is the cause of this.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Parking brake operates on both rear wheels. Generally if the star adjuster clicks while it's turning it is tightening the brakes. There is a sprung part behind the star adjuster that leans against the points of the star making the clicking noise. It needs to be pushed away from the star a little bit so the star wheel can turn in the non clicking direction bringing the bottom ends of the parking brake shoes closer together hopefully releasing the hung up edge of the rotor/drum. A cam at the top end of the parking brake shoes is connected to the parking brake lever. When pulled it spreads the shoes apart at the top, much like the star adjuster does at the bottom, locking the brakes.

That's basic drum brake technology. A little complex for a parking brake but that's what we've got.

Try the passenger side. Maybe it'll come apart easier and give you a look at the inner workings.

My parking brake shoes were like-new when I did my brakes so I didn't replace them. I did adjust them though. Pulled the parking brake lever up a few clicks, jack-standed both rear wheels, and adjusted the star adjuster, (clicking), to a slight drag as the wheel is turned by hand, (in neutral).

There are parking cable adjusters at the base of the parking brake handle that might need to be adjusted after it's back together, and after the star adjusters have been adjusted. Console has to be loosened/removed to get to them. Turn each equal amounts as you adjust.

Also check for a "keeper washer" on one stud per rotor. Maybe you've got one hiding in the rust and dirt keeping the left rear rotor on. They're just there to keep the rotors from being knocked off during construction.

Good luck!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
56963[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Also refer to 07 FSM...:popcorn:

Attachments

• Brake%20Hat3.jpg
    Brake%20Hat3.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 0

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just back it off until you can get the rotor off. Then follow the FSM guide lines for adjusting it.

Then after you do everything else, to adjust it you just roll back in reverse and slowly pull up on the lever. Do that quite a few times and it'll start getting better. Might take doing that a few times a day for a bit but it'll eventually be fine especially if you use the parking brake everyday.

flytonehundred

Reaction score
Quick question. My 2005 Sport doesn't have the self adjuster lever. Do some liberties have that? I know the FSM has those instructions, but mine definitely does have that.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What do you mean the self adjuster lever? It's just the parking brake lever.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a new set of everything for the parking brakes on both sides. Going back out to give it another shot right now. I know lots of times I have been stumped on something and then went back to it later and it suddenly became easy. I'm hoping this is one of those times.

Smoke if you got 'em, pray if you can! :D

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
#2 in the drawing above, and as discussed in step 7.

I'd say you're missing it then...it had it at some point. :happy175:

I bought a new set of everything for the parking brakes on both sides. Going back out to give it another shot right now. I know lots of times I have been stumped on something and then went back to it later and it suddenly became easy. I'm hoping this is one of those times.

Smoke if you got 'em, pray if you can! :D

Will do! I hate messing with the parking brakes on these. It's a pain.