subwoofers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im going to add a subwoofer to my libby what does any one recomend and what setup? i have an alpine cda 9886 stereo which is way better than stock. my factory speakers cant really keep up with it. i have better speakers on the way too.

Reaction score
i have 2 and i wouldnt reccommend that unless your trying to shut down other people. it also takes alot of trunk space. 1 12 or 15 will be ok. get a kicker L7. i've heard a guy with one 12 that blew my 2 kenwood 12's out of the water.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one 12 was all i planned on doing. im trying to get an estimate to see how much i may have to spend. is the mopar one any good?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
one 12 was all i planned on doing. im trying to get an estimate to see how much i may have to spend. is the mopar one any good?

If you're looking for moderate bass, then the Mopar one may satisfy you.

If you're looking for some punch, like bass you can hear and feel, the Mopar subwoofer is worthless.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its kinda hard to ask other other people what you should put in your Jeep. Its really all opinions.

Personally I have a 12" MTX 7500 in a Sledge Hammer Box with a 400watt MTX amp.... Does great for my needs.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of a custom box fitted in the rear gate using two 10" subs designed to use only .5 cubic foot enclosure volume each. a 12" that uses 0.8-1 cubic foot would be awesome too.

I have some old Boston Acoustic Rallys for the KJ (a 10" Pro in the BMW), but those are old school. I just started looking for subs for the Miata & came accross these. They are way too big & heavy for the Miata, but you can put one 13.5" sub in a super shallow box of only 0.8 cubic feet... In fact, I may have just talked my self in to one of these subs for the KJ!

Last edited:

2003renegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 2 sub box in the back of my liberty and hate it.. im going back to 1.. i have the power acoustic 12' the **** is the nme of it.. its very nice

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, considering im running this stereo, (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDA9886/Alpine-CDA-9886.html?search=alpine+cda+9886)
with these speakers (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20607DS60/Kicker-07DS600.html?search=kicker+speakers&tp=95) and that i wanna spend around $300 on the sub,box and amp what is a good combo? i like my music loud but not to the point of trying to be the loudest person in my city. i listen to metal/rock, if that counts for anything. i see that they're 2 types of subs, booming or a more precise sound. i don't know which would be better. i know that my factory speakers have trouble playing a good double bass blast from in flames. (still waiting for my new speakers to arrive) i think i remember reading that your amp should be matched to the limits of your speakers and stereo?

maddawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are looking to save space and still have a outstanding sound go with the infinity amplified sub basslink comes in 10 and 12 it sounds really really good i get compliments all the time. and when i play movies it sounds like a theater

INFINITY BASS-LINK 10"
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2601421/2

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, considering im running this stereo, (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDA9886/Alpine-CDA-9886.html?search=alpine+cda+9886)
with these speakers (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20607DS60/Kicker-07DS600.html?search=kicker+speakers&tp=95) and that i wanna spend around $300 on the sub,box and amp what is a good combo? i like my music loud but not to the point of trying to be the loudest person in my city. i listen to metal/rock, if that counts for anything. i see that they're 2 types of subs, booming or a more precise sound. i don't know which would be better. i know that my factory speakers have trouble playing a good double bass blast from in flames. (still waiting for my new speakers to arrive) i think i remember reading that your amp should be matched to the limits of your speakers and stereo?

Don't play that Amp to speaker match crap. It's a myth. I haven't done that since High School (sadly, about 2 decades ago). It's better to have an amp that is clean than to worry about power output & speaker capability. I'd prefer to have a high quality amp that puts out 100 W per channel to high quality speakers that are rated at 50 watts.

Amps have sweet spots just like speakers. If you can match the two sweet spots & ignore the power numbers you are on the right track. For that reason, I'd suggest going to a car audio store & trying them out.

Kicker makes decent subs that will suit your needs, & they make good amps too. If it were me, I'd get older equipment off of Ebay. IMHO, The new class D amps everyone is making are lousy. 5 to 10 year old amps from Phoenix Gold, Sound Stream, Precision Power & Xtant are probably your best bet for quality & price.

Careful buying subs. some require a huge box, others do not.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I have one Rockford Fosgate P2 12 in a behind seat style truck box in the back wired to my stock head unit powered by a sony xplod 500watt 4 channel its actually a little loud for me so i have to turn the bass down to like -4 but I had it from my prior KJ truck lol

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wont have enough money untill at least this friday. my stereo has a subwoofer control so i can turn it up or down.

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I had a dream last night my 10"s blew out my back glass. :eek: (kind of a far reach, but it does sound really good)

I have 2 Kicker Impulse (old as ****) 10"s in truck boxes that i've glued back to back, and strapped down with a ratchet strap in the back. Powering those with a Punch 250.2, I listen to a lot of metal/rock/rap, and I can easily be heard from 100 feet. I <3 bass.

(attn):D(attn)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am currently running a 10" Kappa Perfect in a .6 cu foot sealed enclosure that I made for my last car. Fits well in the KJ, and I wired it up for easy removal. You won't get the really deep bass a 12" or 15" will get, but I think it's a great sub for all music types - rock and rap. I have a CRAP amp on it currently, and am running it off the stock radio (Line Level Converter used) so it really isn't hitting it's full potential.

For easy removal, I screwed a metal "u" hook to the back of the box. The box is tapered so it somewhat fits along the back of the rear seat. The hook grabs the anchor that's in the middle of each section of the back seat - I covered it in carpet so it doesn't rattle and scratch the hook. I then put velcro on the bottom of the box so it doesn't slide. So far this setup has held it firmly in place, even when offroad.

I threw a switch in the dash that cuts the remote wire - so, I can make sure the amp never powers up even if the radio is on whenever I want it to remain dead. I did this so that in about 10 seconds I can flip the switch to cut the amp off, pick up the box, and unplug the speaker wires. It's nice that in 10 seconds I can have my entire cargo area back to it's full size :)

Reaction score
what kind of music are you going to be listening to? my 12's handle pretty much everything except for the low low stuff. my friend made a box for an audiobahn 15 that fits in the back of his wrangler. and thats with the seat in. i recommend getting 1 12 with a ported box and any good amp you can afford