subwoofers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice. Atrus, the box is only 5" deep. That will save him a lot of space. I am not sure if he will mount it facing tailgate or facing starboard (I don't know if there is 30" space), but either way he will have enough space. I just never felt confident buying box & sub separately... Never felt like match made in heaven.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i keep my tool box in my cargo area now and its bigger than the sub. It'll come out when the stuff gets here, plus now i have a legit excuse as to why my jeep cannot be used as a damn pick up truck. "Nope, my sub takes up all the room! Go rent something!"

I wasn't thrilled about buying them seperately but it was a lot cheaper to do it this way. I did like crtuchfields custom liberty box though. if only i had the money.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now that im thinnking, should i need to worry about my battery or alternator?

No, not for that. If you do notice any strain on the electrical system, don't start with the battery or alternator, but with the wiring.

For starters make sure you are using at least 8 gauge cable to power your amp. I prefer 4, but 8 should be fine.

If you notice a strain on the electrical system, like lights pulsating with the rhythm of the music at moderate volumes, look at the wiring under the hood. Ground straps are the best & easiest to up grade. You'll find the important ones connecting the battery to the body, & the engine to the body. These should be at least 2 gauge. If that isn't it, start with the positive cables that run between the alternator, battery & distribution block. This last step, I've only had to do on one vehicle, & probably is not an issue in the KJ, but if it is step it up a couple gauges, probably 2 gauge.

I haven't messed with my KJ yet, so the above is generic info, & the upgrades should be based on what you find. For example, if the ground straps are already 2 gauge, replace them with 1/0 or 2/0 gauge.

The next step would be to add a capacitor in the power line to the amp. The battery is only an issue if it is already going bad, or if you listen to your stereo for a long time with the engine not running (alternator not turning).

I've installed & lived with many systems way bigger than your plans & have never had to change an alternator or battery due to the system. That step is typically for the professional competitors.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Must be nice to have ears that can appreciate cranked tunes!
I fried mine back in the '80's with 1500 watts of insanity in that green thing! Hence the name "Green H ell " was born! :D
Jen can't accuse me of having selective hearing, I'm truly deaf!
My ma who is now 75 used to get rides to work 4 days a week.
She pretty much knows all the lyrics to Metallica, Slayer, Mega Death, and Led Zeppelin blew 1 amp and a whole lotta love! :D

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like it loud but not that loud, socks. There are a lot of really cool sounds you've missed out on... j/k

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
i like it loud but not that loud, socks. There are a lot of really cool sounds you've missed out on... j/k

:D

I'll up grade the sound system after all the other goodies git fitted.
Then I'll be right here asking the questions all over again. I won'w use the search function as the part numbers for the audio equipment will all be out dated!

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i get everything hooked up. the sub is shaking the whole jeep, even at break in settings and then my amp shuts down, the light indicates it over heated i turned the gain down and opened the windows. that helped a little but every few minutes it shuts down again... am i doing something wrong or does my amp suck?

Heres my setup:
Sub- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2067C12VR4/Kicker-CompVR-07CVR124.html?tp=111

Box- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_044T101...T1012SS&tp=127

Amp- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_489AP10...9AP1000&tp=115

Wiring Kit- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142PA41...42PA41&tp=2919

Last edited:

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm apparently i need to wire it in series and not parallel. i have it wired parallel and that is running a 1/2 ohm load and is causing the problem. I need to run it in series to create a 4 ohm load. ill try that and see if it works.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep thats what it was, i rewired it in series and it is only warm now. it used to be untouchably hot.

2006 KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was going to suggest for you to go kicker.. i have a kicker 12 L5 in a ported and insulated kicker box (designed for that sub).. a kicker 600 watt amp and some BIG wires :) it is crazy... it's louder than any pair of 12's i've ever heard.. they say insulating a box makes it seem like double the cubic feet.. and a square 12 has the surface area of a 15.. or is that a 18? i dont remember.. the other day i was outside the jeep and saw my windshield start to bow in and and out and decided it was time to turn it down :eek:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

if anyone's interested i will sell it.. but for the sole reason of buying lockers with the $ :)

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have your box mounted or does it just sit there? mine is currently not mounted, but it doesn't move around when i drive.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine weighs around 75lbs but its not as big as 06kj's box. Its about 75% that size.

Unless I flip my Jeep, its not going anywhere.

Ohh, Ive got 4awg wire going to my amp. Looks to be a little bigger than 06kj's.

2006 KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope.. nothing holding down my box.. but it is really kinda sandwiched in there... hasnt moved yet! i also have 4awg wiring

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess you don't live in New York..
I have a compressor/jump start battery in the back, it is pretty heavy and I have to tuck it into place every few days. And that's with a duffle bag in front of it. :) Passengers riding in the back jump all the time, I don't think sub would sit tight with the roads we have here. No, it won't move side to side, but it will definitely jump.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bottom of the battery is probably smooth. The fabric on the sub box + the pressure from the weight of the box tend to keep them in place. I bet Bash's box tips over before it slides. 2006 KJ's isn't going anywhere unless he's involved in a big accident.