Stereo troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jig

Reaction score
The tweeters in my 2003 Jeep Liberty Limited will pop & crack when the engine is rev'd to a certain point and yet worse. Some days the point I'd need to rev for it to happen will be lower, some higher, some times it does it on idle. This all happened slowly and got worse over time, at first it only did it when I'd reach ~50mph, and then each day it'd do it quicker until now, as said, it'd do it when idle.

I have taken it to a dealer as I don't know but about stereo equipment to which they told me it's either the Amplifier Choke & Relay, or the radio its self. I replaced the AC&R & that did nothing. Next I replaced the driver and passenger speakers & amplifiers, did nothing. Tonight I replaced both driver and passenger tweeters, again still happens.

When replacing the speakers, it got better and over time went back to doing it at idle. Tonight when I test drove it after replacing the tweeters, it got better, doing it only when I get up to 3k~ RPM. However I can only assume it will just get worse over time like before.

The "popping & cracking" will start small & get more frequent until the left side stops playing audio completely, only playing again once I slow the car down in revs. I usually only driver with the right side playing audio now just so I don't have to hear it.

The only thing left for me to replace is the radio unit its self which I am reluctant to do so as I don't see why it'd be that as there is nothing wrong with the radio, everything functions.

I'm not sure what else to do, any tips or guidance would be appreciated.

(This issue happens regardless if the radio is on FM, AM or I'm playing a CD)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The oem radios were problematic. Most have replaced them by now.
They were low wattage units. Consider upgrading.
The higher wattage and modern features including remote, & hands free, removable face plate, blue tooth, sat radio is convenient.
My music is all on a flash drive/ USB stick now. Quality of sound is 10x better than OEM.

Attachments

• Stereo Jeep.jpg
    Stereo Jeep.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 9