Struts and Wheel Alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very Nice!! :cheers:

Almost hate to drive it in the rain after installing all those new parts, right? Good looking Jeep you have there - it will bring you lots of comments, like "...I've never seen a Liberty that looks like that..." or "...That looks sweet - where'd ya get it?"

Remember the Terraflex extended bumpstops in the front. Don't want to damage the new front shocks :waytogo:

Bob

I have already gotten comments from the car wash lol...

Anyway, are the Terraflex extended bumpstops easy to install? I don't know how to do it.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have already gotten comments from the car wash lol...

Anyway, are the Terraflex extended bumpstops easy to install? I don't know how to do it.

Very easy. The stock ones just pull out - use a wide screwdriver wedged between the stop and the bracket that holds it, pry on it a bit and pull it out. The Terraflex stops can be a little tougher but put some soap and water on it, push it up in the bracket. If it's stubborn, put a 2X4 on top of the tire, get a shovel and put the handle on top of the 2X4 while the end is on the bottom of the bumpstop. Push down on the shovel end while the handle is pressing up on the bumpstop and into the bracket. May take some "encouragement" but it will pop right in.

Bob

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very easy. The stock ones just pull out - use a wide screwdriver wedged between the stop and the bracket that holds it, pry on it a bit and pull it out. The Terraflex stops can be a little tougher but put some soap and water on it, push it up in the bracket. If it's stubborn, put a 2X4 on top of the tire, get a shovel and put the handle on top of the 2X4 while the end is on the bottom of the bumpstop. Push down on the shovel end while the handle is pressing up on the bumpstop and into the bracket. May take some "encouragement" but it will pop right in.

Bob

Hmm. Do you know of anyone that wants my brand new OEM front stops? I hate to spend another ~$65 on extended bump stops when I just spent that amount on regular ones and they will go to no use.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it not amazing how good they look lifted. Looks good,let the mods begin. Flebay the OMEs.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it not amazing how good they look lifted. Looks good,let the mods begin. Flebay the OMEs.

What? I am confused. It is not amazing how good they look lifted?

Ebay OMEs? What? I just got done putting OME on my Jeep. I think you mean OEM, right?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya its a err when made eating at a restaurant and using the phone to answer a post I meant OEM. If it's not amazing then what is it? Hello

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, sell the factory bumpstops on eBay or Craigslist or something. The Teraflex stops will run you about $44 plus shipping for the pair from JeepinByAl.com.

Will save you the grief and cost of replacing the front shocks.

Bob

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, sell the factory bumpstops on eBay or Craigslist or something. The Teraflex stops will run you about $44 plus shipping for the pair from JeepinByAl.com.

Will save you the grief and cost of replacing the front shocks.

Bob

I bought the Teraflex bump stops and brought them to the shop to install because I also bought WeatherTech floor guards.

The guys at the shop were commenting how installing the longer bump stops defeats the purpose of my OME lift and will decrease the amount of range I get.

Any opinions on the matter here?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Yup .. don't listen to them .. unless they are offering to pay for your (future) blown shocks ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought the Teraflex bump stops and brought them to the shop to install because I also bought WeatherTech floor guards.

The guys at the shop were commenting how installing the longer bump stops defeats the purpose of my OME lift and will decrease the amount of range I get.

Any opinions on the matter here?

They haven't installed many lifts have they ?
Look at any lift out there and the good ones have bumpstops included

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Does it limit the travel distance?

Yes it does in one way BUT its also what you want for a number of reasons including making sure you don't "stack" your springs or over compress your shocks . It also halps to make sure you don't rip your flares off if you are running the wrong backspacing etc

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup .. don't listen to them .. unless they are offering to pay for your (future) blown shocks ;)

I need you around when I'm in the midst of negotiations - a good Canuck comment thrown in a JUST the right time :idiot:

Bob

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bob

It took me a crowbar to remove the original ones. Inserting the new ones was very difficult and had to use the shovel method you mentioned, but I couldn't even get it in fully. They are in far enough that they will hold, but I need them to go in further so they are snug tightly in like the old ones.

Any tips?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took me a crowbar to remove the original ones. Inserting the new ones was very difficult and had to use the shovel method you mentioned, but I couldn't even get it in fully. They are in far enough that they will hold, but I need them to go in further so they are snug tightly in like the old ones.

Any tips?

Try a flat screwdriver lubed with some soap and push the stop in around the edges with the screwdriver till it pops in. If you need the 2X4 and shovel again use it in combo with the screwdriver/soap trick.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Should of lubed them good before starting them up in, once you have the back started they pop right in. Heck one of the guys here just shoves them up in by hand

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should of lubed them good before starting them up in, once you have the back started they pop right in. Heck one of the guys here just shoves them up in by hand

I did lubricate them with the soap and water. They are very difficult to get in place.

I will attempt again with the screwdriver otherwise I will take it back to the shop that installed the lift kit and they should be able to get them pushed in completely.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I warmed mine up with a hair dryer and used a little bit of oil and they popped right in. Make sure you get the side notches lined up correctly.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I warmed mine up with a hair dryer and used a little bit of oil and they popped right in. Make sure you get the side notches lined up correctly.

I got one side in completely...at least I think so. However, the other side still sticks out to some degree with some play.

I took it to the shop and they tried prying it in with the pry bars and it wouldn't go in further.

They kept commenting on how OME lift kits like the Frankenlift should just use the OEM bump stops and not the extended ones, too.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got one side in completely...at least I think so. However, the other side still sticks out to some degree with some play.

I took it to the shop and they tried prying it in with the pry bars and it wouldn't go in further.

They kept commenting on how OME lift kits like the Frankenlift should just use the OEM bump stops and not the extended ones, too.

Considering how many times i've put mine on the bump stops, i'm quite glad they are in. Fenders are still on, and i don't have stacked coils on the front suspension.

I've even seen people say the same thing with such comments of, it won't even contact those extended ones anyway.

lots of posts with failed daystar spacers on weak coils with stock bumpstops show the extreme of not putting them in. For my money its cheap insurance.

Put them in and start the long journey of finding the right alignment guy.