Struts and Wheel Alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, if I get the struts replaced, do I need a new wheel alignment?

I just got new tires and had the wheels aligned at the tire shop.

Now I have been having suspension problems with the vehicle bottoming out over speed bumps and decided to buy new struts.

I also got new bumper pads that go in the wheel well because one of them is missing and the other one is falling apart.

Are those easy to install?

Thanks,
Chris

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Chris
Hate to say it but just replacing the front shocks will not do much at all
Springs are what hold a vehicles weight up not the shocks . I would bet you are sitting at least an inch lower than stock and have been bouncing off of the bumpstops destroying them in the process.
Best bet is new springs.shocks etc and then of course an alignment. Anytime you do anything to the front suspension an alignment should be done/checked.
Again, replace the front springs and shocks or its $$$$ out the window and your new shocks( struts) will be done for in no time.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris
Hate to say it but just replacing the front shocks will not do much at all
Springs are what hold a vehicles weight up not the shocks . I would bet you are sitting at least an inch lower than stock and have been bouncing off of the bumpstops destroying them in the process.
Best bet is new springs.shocks etc and then of course an alignment. Anytime you do anything to the front suspension an alignment should be done/checked.
Again, replace the front springs and shocks or its $$$$ out the window and your new shocks( struts) will be done for in no time.

If I buy new coils, aftermarket, will it raise my vehicle even higher if I go with bigger ones? Or do I need other special equipment?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It all depends on what springs you get
If you want to stay close to stock height then the OME 925s would be the ones to get. They would put you a little higher than new stock height. If you want 2.5 inches of lift then I'd go to the OME927s in front

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on what springs you get
If you want to stay close to stock height then the OME 925s would be the ones to get. They would put you a little higher than new stock height. If you want 2.5 inches of lift then I'd go to the OME927s in front

Would either of these two work with OEM Struts/Shock Absorber from Mopar for the front?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, no matter what size coil you use for the front the stock length shock is fine. Rear needs longer shocks with a lift.
Mopar isn't the best BTW...look into OME or Bilstein for the front.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I'd look at taking the Mopar front shocks back and get a refund
The aftermarket will be a little more but in the long run, handling/ride/etc will be a lot better than it was even brand new Plus it will take the front end dive when braking out of it

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I'd look at taking the Mopar front shocks back and get a refund
The aftermarket will be a little more but in the long run, handling/ride/etc will be a lot better than it was even brand new Plus it will take the front end dive when braking out of it

I called the place shipping the front struts and got the refund, but they took $30 in restocking fees (20%).

I decided to go with the Frankenlift II Premium Kit and from All J Products and then will have a local auto shop install it. They quoted me ~$400 for the installation and alignment and said they would charge me less labor if it ends up being a faster install than what they intended.

Sound like a good deal for the labor?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're gonna have an awesome Liberty now - wait till you drive it the first time. I'm talking night and day.

Like Tom said, you pulled a quick switch on us from where you started but you made a wise choice :waytogo:

Bob

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're gonna have an awesome Liberty now - wait till you drive it the first time. I'm talking night and day.

Like Tom said, you pulled a quick switch on us from where you started but you made a wise choice :waytogo:

Bob

I can't wait...hehe... I'll have to take before/after pictures for you guys.

I figured I might as well go all the way instead of messing around with mix/matching parts.

:rockit:

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mixing parts ?????????
Any lift is a list of mixing parts

Ok ok ok ok ... fine.. it's true to some degree. I just went with the "kit" versus trying to get individual parts and things like that.

:icon_mrgreen:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not saying you didn't get a good lift, its just that everyone sells kits. Its just interesting to me how you were on one track then swapped into a high end lift in one brief time period :Big Laugh::Big Laugh: Most folks starting where you did take some convincing to buy a full on kit no matter if its Ironman, OME or the Franky etc
Did you get JBAs UCAs as well ? If not alignment will not be quite right for a while, Frankys take some time to settle in and get down to a height that you get a good alignment without JBAs UCAs

Last edited:

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not saying you didn't get a good lift, its just that everyone sells kits. Its just interesting to me how you were on one track then swapped into a high end lift in one brief time period :Big Laugh::Big Laugh: Most folks starting where you did take some convincing to buy a full on kit no matter if its Ironman, OME or the Franky etc
Did you get JBAs UCAs as well ? If not alignment will not be quite right for a while, Frankys take some time to settle in and get down to a height that you get a good alignment without JBAs UCAs

The Upper Control Arms and ball joints were replaced. What is JBA though? A brand?

I will be posting pictures when I get it back from the alignment shop.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Can someone recomend me which strut shock i should buy for my jeep liberty 2003 kj with no lift?

Check the lift FAQ in the lift section! :)

The Upper Control Arms and ball joints were replaced. What is JBA though? A brand?

I will be posting pictures when I get it back from the alignment shop.

Yeah...Jeepin By Al is a company that specializes in IFS Jeep stuff.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before:

You must be registered for see images attach

After:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very Nice!! :cheers:

Almost hate to drive it in the rain after installing all those new parts, right? Good looking Jeep you have there - it will bring you lots of comments, like "...I've never seen a Liberty that looks like that..." or "...That looks sweet - where'd ya get it?"

Remember the Terraflex extended bumpstops in the front. Don't want to damage the new front shocks :waytogo:

Bob

Latest posts

Members online