REALLY upset!! Thinking about selling my Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
GM put a "Life span" on their auto parts so that they would wear out after a certain amount of cycles the said part was used/operated.
That way the part would just start malfunctioning/stop working so the vehicle owner would have the "said" automotive part replaced by them selves or the dealer to make the vehicle safer with a new part installed.
(I'm keeping it really simple for the really simple folks!)
It also insured that GM would sell more parts for the vehicles that they sold...

Soon all the other automotive manufactures followed suit and did the same thing.

If an automotive part lasts forever then a automotive manufacture does not make money on replacement parts!

Hence "planned obsolescence"!

It insured that "unanimously", automotive manufactures would be able to sell replacement parts for the vehicles that sold and keep making them money on parts and "keep the vehicle they sold" safer!

Like I said, I'm keeping it simple!

(yeahthat) True story :D

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie I'm not dumb. I would of asked but I was at work all day. My dad was answering the phone. And I trust my mechanics work. My dad has used him for over 30 years and I seriously doubt he would screw us over.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a ? for you loves_off_roading..............

Does your key ring have have more then 5 keys and more then one key chain? Basically asking if your key ring weighs like 5lbs.If it has alot of stuff on it that is why some part in the steering column broke(most likely to do with the lock cylinder) and is a common issue on all newer vehicles('90 or newer) but GM vehicles are the worst offenders.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good point Ryan

I think If American car company's had the same idea as the **** they wouldn't be in financial trouble. Maybe if we build a reliable car people will keep buying it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good point Ryan

I think If American car company's had the same idea as the **** they wouldn't be in financial trouble. Maybe if we build a reliable car people will keep buying it.
They foreign vehicle makers do the same thing as the big 3,have been for just as long.Heck in Japan they are forced to replace the engine at a certain mileage by there government,how's that for keeping your profits up if your a auto manufacturer?Besides honda and toyota's reliability has nose dived over the last 10 years or so and actually under most others.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
So "loves_off_roading"...
You didn't answer my question!

What happens when the next vehicle you own has electrical or mechanical problems?...

Will you trade that one in as well and start all over again?

Like we here have all said here...

Motor vehicles have deficiencies in one way or another and the current owner has to have them rectified!
You have to replace faulty parts!

Even in brand new vehicles!

The only consolation with a brand new vehicle is the relative "Short term" bumper to bumper warranty!

Then the remainder "Powertrain warranty"

Now you know whey there are so many 2-3 year old vehicles for sale!

Because the original "New" owner cannot afford all the maintenance on that "Near new" vehicle or they do not want to spend any more money on the vehicle!

So, at the end of the day, the next sucker who purchases that "Slightly used" vehicle gets "Stung" with unexpected servicing and parts replacements!

Usually, the more owners the original owners has had, the more that needs to be repaired (Read parts replaced here, because vehicles these days do not get repaired, they just have re-manufactured/re-furbished or after market parts installed!)

There really are no more "True mechanics" in this world...
Just "Certified" parts re-placers!

Thats the honest truth!

When was the last time you hear a "Certified mechanic" tell a customer that they replaced the "Brushes" in an alternator?

No!

They just swapped out the malfunctioning/defective one with a "Re manufactured" or in some cases when under full factory warranty with a brand spanking new unit!

That's why, if you have some mechanical ability, you can do most of the "Repairs" yourself!

Thats life!

In my opinion, there are no more "Mechanics", they are just over glorified "Certified"
parts replaces!

Truth hurts!

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happens when the next vehicle you own has electrical or mechanical problems?...

I won't care because I doubt it will be any ******** like this. I can handle windows falling, ****** failing, buttons not working. That stuff happens. But this is something that shouldn't of happened and is unacceptable.

Have you ever heard of something like this happening before?

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
They foreign vehicle makers do the same thing as the big 3,have been for just as long.Heck in Japan they are forced to replace the engine at a certain mileage by there government,how's that for keeping your profits up if your a auto manufacturer?Besides honda and toyota's reliability has nose dived over the last 10 years or so and actually under most others.

To summarize

IN SOVIET JAPAN, CAR FIX YOU!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score

Not too mention what it costs to operate a vehicle there on an annual basis!
Or what about in Hong Kong?

I won't care because I doubt it will be any ******** like this. I can handle windows falling engines/****** failing. That stuff happens but this is something that shouldn't of happened and is unacceptable.

Have you ever heard of something like this before?

Yes, all the time!
You better never buy a Subaru then!
Or a Mazda!

Vehicle ownership costs money!
Remember, owning a motor vehicle is a convenience!
And like anything "Convenient" it costs more!
That, and owning a vehicle is a luxury! (Whether you would like to believe that or not! Because not all people can afford to own and operate a motor vehicle! You have to pay to play!)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a ? for you loves_off_roading..............

Does your key ring have have more then 5 keys and more then one key chain? Basically asking if your key ring weighs like 5lbs.If it has alot of stuff on it that is why some part in the steering column broke(most likely to do with the lock cylinder) and is a common issue on all newer vehicles('90 or newer) but GM vehicles are the worst offenders.

Even if he doesnt have lots of keys it appears it has 80,000 miles on it so its untelling what previous owners have done to the Jeep. Its the Jeeps fault either way though. :)

So you would rather pay thousands of $ to replace a ****** but youre complaining about speaker wire and a steering column? Cmon man, this just isnt adding up. Youre upset about something of which we dont know what it is going bad. Youre Jeep has 80k on it so you should expect 'little' things to go bad.

Gotta say 8k for a 2006 Jeep sounds like a good deal to me. Even if it has 80k miles on it.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Our 2004 KJ had (I'll just round it up for arguments sake) had
133,000.0 Km/82,642.5 miles on the odometer when we bought
it on the second of December 2006.

It has needed maintenance!
We have spent money on this vehicle, but it is 100% reliable now!
That is what you get when you buy a used vehicle!
Still less expensive than purchasing a "Brand new" vehicle from an automotive
dealer!
Especially when you consider car loan interest, time spent bringing in a "New vehicle"
on your dime for mechanical deficiencies!
I don't know about you, but my time is worth many dollars per hour!

So your KJ has some problems...

Get over it!

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tryed to have anything repaired under warranty? A 2006 KJ is only months off warranty (mine is 2 weeks off warranty) and dealer might work with you and back date it.

speaking of warranty. Why wasn't your speaker wire repaired a warranty job?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Have you tryed to have anything repaired under warranty? A 2006 KJ is only months off warranty (mine is 2 weeks off warranty) and dealer might work with you and back date it.

speaking of warranty. Why wasn't your speaker wire repaired a warranty job?

Perhaps not every person knows how to deal with automotive situations like these?:eek:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am LOST here.

A speaker wire repair for $200?? ...... What can go wrong with speaker wire that it all has to be taken out and replaced?

Something broke in the steering column that is a $10 part but the whole thing has to be replaced for $600?

This is a 06 model that you got used I take it. I wonder what the prior owner might have done to it??

Dave

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.