REALLY upset!! Thinking about selling my Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I am LOST here.

A speaker wire repair for $200?? ...... What can go wrong with speaker wire that it all has to be taken out and replaced?

Something broke in the steering column that is a $10 part but the whole thing has to be replaced for $600?

This is a 06 model that you got used I take it. I wonder what the prior owner might have done to it??

Dave

We are not getting the full story as far as I am concerned!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Our 2004 KJ had (I'll just round it up for arguments sake) had
133,000.0 Km/82,642.5 miles on the odometer when we bought
it on the second of December 2006.

It has needed maintenance!
We have spent money on this vehicle, but it is 100% reliable now!
That is what you get when you buy a used vehicle!

Same thing here....and when I have invest $$$, that's fine...as I;ve had no issues with. Somethings will break....:)

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my KJ being reassured by the fact that the previous owner was a woman with relatively good driving skills .... no scratches, no accident repairs, etc ... I knew the jeep was in good shape and not brutally beaten up ... well, at least the way i do, loll, i know also one thing, she sold it because it was using too much gas and she only did street riding. Knowing who or how drove the vehicule is aslo one of the best factor into buying a used vehicule.... Grand-pa's and mommies as 1st owners are usually a safe bet to buy a used vehicule... One thing, woman dont get it serviced much .... gotta watch that and ask questions.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There really are no more "True mechanics" in this world...
Just "Certified" parts re-placers!

Thats the honest truth!

When was the last time you hear a "Certified mechanic" tell a customer that they replaced the "Brushes" in an alternator?
That's not true.Try finding a rebuild kit for your alternator in the KJ,there's not one.Plus it is now more cost effective to replace the whole unit in most cases then just replace a small part due to most items being more complex and non-serviceable.

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of you speaketh of GM, try owning a late 90's GM with the wonderful orange DEXCLOG!!!! I'm in the middle of changin out the lower intake gaskets now. Wow, now that was a wonderful invention for them.... to gouge the owner with 500-1000 or more worth of gasket repairs cause of that crap!!!

My wife called me back in the spring, of course she had to be across town
(over in the TBJ neck of the woods to top it all :D ) Libby wouldn't start, she had nothing. I grab the truck, tools and head out. Get there and as I'm pulling in lot, she calls and said it started, never has done it since. Maybe it's the same part you're talking about.
Personally, even with tearing a column apart, he's soaking you MAJORLY with labor, he should be able to rebuild that thing in a couple hours, especially if he's be in the bizness for 30 yrs.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, in a single day this posting has managed to climb to five pages. A lot of you must feel strongly on this topic.

Sure whenever you buy a used piece of mechanical equipment you can expect that something will fail & need to be replaced. Sometimes it's the result of poor maintenance, sometimes it's poor design/manufacturing.

May I suggest that if you take your vehicle in for a repair and you don't like the cost of the estimate take it to a second mechanic.

Dealerships are very qualified however are typically very expensive too.

If you do sell your Liberty and buy another vehicle then may I suggest you buy a newer model and be sure to have a trusted mechanic look it over for you before laying out the cash.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, in a single day this posting has managed to climb to five pages. A lot of you must feel strongly on this topic.

Sure whenever you buy a used piece of mechanical equipment you can expect that something will fail & need to be replaced. Sometimes it's the result of poor maintenance, sometimes it's poor design/manufacturing.

May I suggest that if you take your vehicle in for a repair and you don't like the cost of the estimate take it to a second mechanic.

Dealerships are very qualified however are typically very expensive too.

If you do sell your Liberty and buy another vehicle then may I suggest you buy a newer model and be sure to have a trusted mechanic look it over for you before laying out the cash.

I agree with you on a second mechanic and dealership. I stopped using my Mechanic and only went to the dealer for maintenance and repairs once I got my kj. Sure the dealer does cost more but I know i'm getting higher quailty parts than what my mechanic would put on for that cheaper price. Plus i find it that a dealership will correct anything they might have done wrong quicker and with less hassel than a local shop would.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The previous owner of KJ used it as a company car. All work was done on it, and it still has the new car smell....she kept it in perfect shape.... :D

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie's KJ had 50,000 miles on it when he bought it, and the PO was about 30-50 miles early for most of his services.

Where's the pic?

Last edited:

maverick7321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have only had to have one repair done on my 2005 in the little over 2 years that I have owned it and that was for the rear axle seals.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
My sister's '05 Liberty has had the following replaced:

1. Catalytic Converter at 48k miles.

Yeah um that's it. Has 66k on it.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Trouble is, I don't think that "trusted mechanic" is going to be able to tell you that your speaker wire is about to fail or nor, most likely, your steering column. Neither will he be able to tell you much about 1000's of things that are in danger of imminent failure. Like someone said failures are a part of life.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trouble is, I don't think that "trusted mechanic" is going to be able to tell you that your speaker wire is about to fail or nor, most likely, your steering column. Neither will he be able to tell you much about 1000's of things that are in danger of imminent failure. Like someone said failures are a part of life.

Mangate is right. Everything made by man is a crap-shoot. Nothing is perfect.

Dave

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

x2. The first estimate to replace a pinion bearing was $1,100-- to start. Anything else wrong, the price went up from there.

The next mechanic which came highly recommended came in at like $650.

At 77k, my pinion bearing is the only thing that's failed on my vehicle. But tomorrow's another day!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant really tell what that is in that pic. Ive never seen a steering column taken apart though.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^I never saw the inside of a steering column before so I have no clue.

Dave

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Cant really tell what that is in that pic. Ive never seen a steering column taken apart though.

You must be registered for see images attach

That is part of a flux capacitor
I think I would hang it on a wall for sure,trophy sorta.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.