REALLY upset!! Thinking about selling my Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As most of you might of seen I had to get my Liberty towed yesterday because it wouldn't start.

Got a very upsetting call from my mechanic today. He said a piece in the steering column broke. It will take 500-600 to fix it.

This is a load of crap. He said he talked to a Jeep guy and he said Chrysler was thinking about recalling it but never did. I'm calling jeep tomorrow to raise hell. I think I've had enough

It took 200 to fix a speaker too a couple of months ago.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As most of you might of seen I had to get my Liberty towed yesterday because it wouldn't start.

Got a very upsetting call from my mechanic today. He said a piece in the steering column broke. It will take 500-600 to fix it.

This is a load of crap. He said he talked to a Jeep guy and he said Chrysler was thinking about recalling it but never did. I'm calling jeep tomorrow to raise hell. I think I've had enough

It took 200 to fix a speaker too a couple of months ago.
Gotta love mass production:D

Oh and something that breaks that does not allow a vehicle to start will never be recalled,it's not a safety issue but they may issue a TSB.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
200 dollars to fix a speaker?
Sounds like it's time to start working on your own stuff, broski.

Sometimes vehicles break. It *****. It is also a part of life. You will have this no matter what you own.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the speaker was fine. It was the wiring. They had to rip everything out of the car to replace the wiring and that cost a lot of labor.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You haven't seen repairs till you've owned an 02 Bravada....

PS....I see you finally updated your avi TJ! :D

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
$200 = 2 hours of labor,must not have had to rip to much apart.

Yes, very reasonable, isn't it? :rolleyes:
If I learned anything after being ripped of a few times, anytime a mechanic or someone whom you are not familiar with gives an estimate of below $200 or below, it is probably something you can easily fix yourself.

To the OP,
Oh about the jeep stalling you, sh*t happens. Pump blows, cheap mexican electronics go bad, it fails. Don't expect everything on jeep to last forever. Looking at those still driving their jeeps from early 90s.. Their either know how to ignore annoyances, or they can fix stuff themselves/got someone to do it cheap. People like you and me probably won't keep the same ride that long. I too was there a few times, where I'd had it with the Jeep, but with a bit love and compassion and also being short on cash, decided to hold onto it, and still holding onto it. Although I am thinking that real expenses will start popping up right after she hits 70k (out of warranty).

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
hmm... yup... what everyone else said. mass production *****. don't get so discouraged so quickly. what is this piece they speak of? did you try another key? could it be a problem with the sentry key system?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Yup, better go sell your KJ "loves off roading"!
And then when you buy another vehicle and it gives you problems...

Then what?

Gonna sell that one too?

Scheech dude!

**** breaks down!

Thank GMC with their "Planned obsolescence" of vehicle parts that they introduced in the late 1960's!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still don't get this "planned obsolescence" that you've spoken of Ryan....you can't walk anywhere without tripping over GM OEM or aftermarket parts.

If anything, of the domestics I'd say Chrysler is the worst to find parts.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon I don't know what it is. My mechanic said it was a little part that would be normally be about $10 to replace. But the thing is the way jeep designed it you have to replace the entire steering column :mad: $600. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr im sick in my stomach I'm so mad. This shouldn't happen to a 3 year old car.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard of a steering column breaking on a kj??? News to me.

And I really feel for people that pay so much to get stuff done but really, youve replaced some speaker wire and had a freak problem with the steering column and youre considering selling the Jeep and probably going in debt???? Do you not think everyone has little issues with cars?

You do realize its pretty darn easy to replace speaker wire right?

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
First
this shouldn't happen to a 3 year old car

this is the reason your KJ is giving you problems.

THE ONLY people that have constant Jeep trouble are the ones that call them CARS.

My mechanic said it was a little part that would be normally be about $10 to replace

And what is this part?

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JeepJeepster

Yes I'm thinking about getting rid of it to stay out of debt. I bought it for 8k. I've only owned it for 4 months and I've spent 1,500 on repairs.

I'm not promoting that KJ's are bad I just think I got a dud.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I still don't get this "planned obsolescence" that you've spoken of Ryan....you can't walk anywhere without tripping over GM OEM or aftermarket parts.

If anything, of the domestics I'd say Chrysler is the worst to find parts.

GM put a "Life span" on their auto parts so that they would wear out after a certain amount of cycles the said part was used/operated.
That way the part would just start malfunctioning/stop working so the vehicle owner would have the "said" automotive part replaced by them selves or the dealer to make the vehicle safer with a new part installed.
(I'm keeping it really simple for the really simple folks!)
It also insured that GM would sell more parts for the vehicles that they sold...

Soon all the other automotive manufactures followed suit and did the same thing.

If an automotive part lasts forever then a automotive manufacture does not make money on replacement parts!

Hence "planned obsolescence"!

It insured that "unanimously", automotive manufactures would be able to sell replacement parts for the vehicles that sold and keep making them money on parts and "keep the vehicle they sold" safer!

Like I said, I'm keeping it simple!

Latest posts

Members online