quick saftey question before my trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am about to go on a 3500 mile 5 national park tour. I would like to save some money by using my stock tires and wheel rather then my cragars and bfgs. but after an alignment and tossing them on the a arm is close to the rubber. it isnt touching but its only 1/4 inch away. not that it matters but the alignment shoop inspected the a arms and balljoints and didnt come back saying there was a problem with the clearence. what do you guys think, will i never have an issue or under some circumstances will i have contact? I head out tomorrow.
full droop
You must be registered for see images attach

sitting level
You must be registered for see images attach

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what does it look like down on the ground with weight on it? unless you plan on jumping creeks like the dukes of hazard i doubt you would have to worry too much about how close things are at full droop... no?

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
The Jeep is sideways. You should never drive like that.

Seriously, though, at full droop the boot is making contact, which will tear up the balljoint boot.

That will lead the balljoint to a rapid death.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this trip is mainly for photography, were going to rocky mountain, teton, yellowstone, wind cave, and badlands national park. next trip will be out to utah to see arches and canyonlands. so off road isnt a big concern here

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Jeep is sideways. You should never drive like that.

Seriously, though, at full droop the boot is making contact, which will tear up the balljoint boot.

That will lead the balljoint to a rapid death.

lol so far its spring to a arm contact not the boot even though thats what it looks like. I aint lowering it so new ball joint every 20k i dont mind at all but they dont even rip so not to worried i keep a damn close eye on them. not arguing with you im not happy that it has contact but im not lowering it any so all i can do is watch it like a hawk and suck up the costs when things break

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
this trip is mainly for photography, were going to rocky mountain, teton, yellowstone, wind cave, and badlands national park. next trip will be out to utah to see arches and canyonlands. so off road isnt a big concern here

I look forward to the photo's Twack!
BTW? I've been to all those places as well.
Mind you, that was back in the mid 1980's, In my Mini no less!

Have a an awesome time.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
again, to save a few bucks on gas, save a little tread on the bfgs and a little more comfortable ride id like to take these tires if i can. But if you guys think its a safety issue ill throw on the soft 8s for the trip. Which way should i go?

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol i hear ya but if i dont use these tires for long trips ill never use them and i feel that 3500 miles of highway are just cruel on my bfgs. im honestly asking about the saftey of it, am i in danger or will it never touch the tire

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
You asked about the safety of it.
The safety is the balljoint boot rubbing the spacer, NOT ANYTHING to do with the tire, aside from if that balljoint separates on your trip, it'll be laying on the road sideways.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no im asking about the safety of the clearance of the a arm and the tire and nothing else

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trust me, again im not arguing with you guys about the boot rubbing being not the best thing. i tried buying jba arms that would fix this but i got screwed and got sent an older model jba arms that arnt as long. im not happy about it. the only thing i can really do is take out the dayatar top plates and put in stockers. but i cant do that in my time frame. the boot only touches at complete droop where its on a jack and the tires are off the ground, i never get a arm spring contact while driving. and im not wheeling it on this trip just highway. if i could change the situation i would. i know i wont have ball joint failure on this trip. so im just asking about the clearence on the a arm to tire.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seriously how can this be so hard to get an answer. Is it like the brakes and you can squeeze 15s on and have a really small clearance and drive all day and be go. or will it move more then i can see under some circumstances