JBA arm - spring contact

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello - after 6 years I finally replaced my JBA UCA's because one broke. however - on a recent trip with the new JBA's I started to get bad noises whenever the jeep hit a bump. after 7 years I sure do know my ckunks, grinds, screeches - but this was new. the noise is audible when it's at its highest point (excuse my english).

then i noticed something: when i was climbing some rocks my front end was in the air and then it hit me: the UCA is touching the spring! one of the bolts that hold the balljoint is hitting the spring at full droop - and it is even worse on the passenger side where the UCA is closer to the spring. in fact - the UCA's are limiting my front down travel - which is not that great to begin with. from 0:50

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I can feel the UCA "kissing " the spring. it sounds like a trouble.

Any idea what to do? after all - the JBA UCA's are there for a reason: so there will be no contact between the stock UCA and the spring. I thought about flipping the balljoint - installing in below the balljoint mount on the UCA - but i dont know if that will do the trick - and i dont know if its safe.. Ideas welcome!

PS: the kj is aligned to perfection.

Attachments

• 338401780_1185427729003691_3529836228568205315_n.jpg
    338401780_1185427729003691_3529836228568205315_n.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 3

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes after you get to 3.5 inches of lift they will hit , some even at a little over 3.25 inches
Common issue and why I went JBA coilovers years ago

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey Tom. thank you.

this info leaves me in a tight spot since coil overs are no longer available. any words of wisdom?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JBA does not suggest flipping the ball joint to the other side because it would no longer be captured if mounting bolts broke. I tried it on mine because I too was having uca/spring contact. It definitely cleared but then I had to max out the cam adjusters and it still wasn't enough. So I considered a small cradle drop which would require trimming fan shroud as the engine drops with it. I decided I was chasing one problem into the next and ultimately lowered the jeep at the clevis. I jacked it up with the suspension hanging, removed the front wheels and put another jack under the ball joint. Starting lifting slowly the clevis loose and tightened the clevis once I could slide a piece of paper between coil and UCA, tightened clevis and double checked my work. Rides nice and quiet now.