How to make my 2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7 louder?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepnoobie

Reaction score
Hello! I don't really know about cars so much, so I had to come and ask you professionals. :)

I'd really like my Jeep Liberty 2002 3.7 to sound a bit louder, and I thought about changing the muffler first. I'll probably do some other adjustments as well, but the muffler needs replacement anyway, so I decided to begin with that.

SO, any suggestions for muffler with deep and loud tones?

Anderson252

Reaction score
A free-flowing performance muffler which incorporates hair or fiber-like material for absorbing sound from companies like Borla or Magnaflow will provide a deeper tone than the stock muffler or a muffler that uses chambers or baffles

Last edited:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a look and listen on YouTube, several loud Jeeps on there.

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello! I don't really know about cars so much, so I had to come and ask you professionals. :)

I'd really like my Jeep Liberty 2002 3.7 to sound a bit louder, and I thought about changing the muffler first. I'll probably do some other adjustments as well, but the muffler needs replacement anyway, so I decided to begin with that.

SO, any suggestions for muffler with deep and loud tones?
I had exactly the same goal last year. Went the budget route and bought this:

I see they have a "used" one in the Amazon Warehouse for $33.50 - I'd go with that (most things I've bought used from Amazon Warehouse have just had beat up packaging).

You'd need a few other items - a flange adapter (Walker makes the only one that fits-let me know if you want me to dig up the part number), a short extension pipe (I got it from Autozone), 3 exhaust clamps (spend a few extra bucks on the ones that don't deform the exhaust pipes) and a tube of exhaust sealer. You'll want to measure everything twice and cut out your old muffler with a sawsall (a hacksaw might work in a pinch). Then it's a pretty simple job of cutting your extension pipe to the correct size, applying some goop to the joints and bolt everything together. Or if you're not super handy just get a muffler shop to do the install - they likely wouldn't need the flange adapter or clamps since they'd probably just weld everything in.

I'm very happy with the sound - deep and powerful sounding but not obnoxious. A few weeks previously I had installed a Flowmaster style 2 chamber welded muffler (actually a cheap knockoff - Xlerator I believe, but they all sound very similar) - it was horrible - far too loud and not a good sound. I really think you'll like the sound of the Thrush muffler - I smile every time I turn the key but there's no horrible drone at highway speeds.

KingKJ

The Rock Spotter
Reaction score
I'm looking into doing something with making mine louder, Would just removing the muffler be too loud?

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, too loud. It's not a pleasant sounding engine either. In my opinion it needs to be muffled more than most since it makes such an ugly noise.

Reaction score
Yes, make that engine roar so you can be challenged at every take-off from a red light and lose every time, lol. At least that's what would happen where I live...no state inspection and noise laws are not enforced.