Question on re-gearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, got a question for you all. So I’ve been saving up for regearing my liberty to 4.10’s. I’m kinda frustrated with the shop I was going to use. I got a quote in spring last year to see where they were at and they quoted me 1500 to do the job. So I was getting ready to get it done this last fall and they increased the price to 1800. Couldn’t swing it, so I held off. Went in today to get parts ordered, now they are at 2365, calling for 13 hours of labor. And that’s without replacing seals or anything, so to have that done it increases the price another 100 if I remember correctly, they didn’t put that on the quote so I could be remembering the exact price incorrectly.

-Have prices gone up that much?

I wanted to use these guys because they have done a liberty before.
-Does it help a lot to choose a mechanic who has done a liberty before? I just want it done right that’s the main concern.

I don’t have a ton of options in good mechanics, I just feel the price keeps getting ****** around too much, but if that’s a fair price and I’m wrong, I’d like to know.

I was planning on throwing Detroit tru tracks in the front and rear, but at that price I’ll have to hold off till fall at the very least. From what I read I was expecting 1400-1800 for the re gear, is that unrealistic?

Also, they wanted to put synthetic oil in and from what I read is to use Dino oil only for tru tracks, is that correct?

Thanks for the help!

Mk

Just to clarify, those prices are just for the re gearing. The price did not include the tru tracks.

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
No expert advice here, but with a price jump like that, sounds like they really don't want to do it.

I would think any good shop that does re-gearing would be okay. They'd probably have experience with all types.

Kaden

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I may ask, why are you regearing to 4.10s? Do you have a lift or tow alot?

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No expert advice here, but with a price jump like that, sounds like they really don't want to do it.

I would think any good shop that does re-gearing would be okay. They'd probably have experience with all types.

Yeah, they said it was a pain to do and that the added time it would take us why it jumped. And they said 4.10s are a lot more expensive because they are oem.

Mk

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a frankenlift and running cooper stt pros 245/75. Like Tom has said, it definitely needs to be re geared. Gas millage dropped to 11-13, 14 if I’m lucky. I don’t tow a ton but when I move I need to be able to tow a u haul, and I would like to be able to tow atvs in the future when I could afford one.

Mk

Kaden

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ow yeah now I see why you need 4.10s lol and as ITD02 said it sounds like they don’t want to do it. I would bring it to a different shop and see what they would charge or just do it yourself.

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ow yeah now I see why you need 4.10s lol and as ITD02 said it sounds like they don’t want to do it. I would bring it to a different shop and see what they would charge or just do it yourself.

I wish I knew how, I don’t have the right tools or the know how to get it done right. Not that I don’t want to learn, I just have no experience re gearing.

Mk

Kaden

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be completely honest I learned pretty much everything about fixing cars by YouTube videos and a trusty Haynes repair manualand just growing up around it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
To be completely honest I learned pretty much everything about fixing cars by YouTube videos and a trusty Haynes repair manual��and just growing up around it.

I have yet to see a Youtube video I would trust following
Watching one of those to do a regear if you have never done one is like doing brain surgery on yourself
In other words .....NO

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, they said it was a pain to do and that the added time it would take us why it jumped. And they said 4.10s are a lot more expensive because they are oem.

Mk

Front yes, rear many manufacturers make 4.10s for the 8.25
Rear can be done with the diff still in the KJ, front has to be removed of course but still its not that bad
Find someone else, they don't have a clue

Kaden

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tommud. I never said anything about watching a video on a regear. I just said watching videos for repairing cars in general. I probably wouldn’t watch a video on how to do a regear either if I never done one before or didn’t have any mechanical skills. But in general they can be helpful.

Last edited:

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front yes, rear many manufacturers make 4.10s for the 8.25

Rear can be done with the diff still in the KJ, front has to be removed of course but still its not that bad

Find someone else, they don't have a clue

Do you think their quote for the amount of time is accurate? I know you are familiar with it, could you give me a rough idea what the cost might be. I know it’ll be different in other areas I just thought about 1800 would’ve been at the top of the price range.

Thanks for the insight everyone, I really appreciate it. Any more comments would be very helpful.

Mk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think their quote for the amount of time is accurate? I know you are familiar with it, could you give me a rough idea what the cost might be. I know it’ll be different in other areas I just thought about 1800 would’ve been at the top of the price range.

Thanks for the insight everyone, I really appreciate it. Any more comments would be very helpful.

Mk

If I remember right front calls for 5-6 hours just to R&R the front diff
Of course anyone can pop one out and another back in a lot quicker than that
But if going by the book right there is that much time plus hours for the install.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tommud. I never said anything about watching a video on a regear. I just said watching videos for repairing cars in general. I probably wouldn’t watch a video on how to do a regear either if I never done one before or didn’t have any mechanical skills. But in general they can be helpful.

I have only found a very few videos that even make a little sense,
most are done by amateurs who think they know the best way to do things.
Doesn't matter what they are doing
But they are fun to watch :happy175:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to use these guys because they have done a liberty before.
-Does it help a lot to choose a mechanic who has done a liberty before? I just want it done right that’s the main concern.

IMO, any shop that's experienced in cherokee (XJ) or Dakota diff work can do a Liberty.

I've had some luck getting better shop rates when I can drop off an assembly (like a diff or tcase) and pick it up next week. Have you thought of picking up used spare diffs to have re-geared? or used 4.10 diffs? (if you can find them)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
IMO, any shop that's experienced in cherokee (XJ) or Dakota diff work can do a Liberty.

I've had some luck getting better shop rates when I can drop off an assembly (like a diff or tcase) and pick it up next week. Have you thought of picking up used spare diffs to have re-geared? or used 4.10 diffs? (if you can find them)

While true on the rear diff what scares most shops as far as the KJs go is removing the front diff.
Its like its something very hard to do and most run away
If they only knew how easy it is :happy175:

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Do you mean buy a diff off a salvage yard and have them put in gears in that? Or find a 4 cylinder with the 4.10’s?
I couldn’t find a any yards with a 4 cylinder to swap it with. I live in a small town so there are only a handful. I also called salvage yards within a 3 hour drive and no luck there either.

I have a few shops I’m going to try and call on Monday and hopefully one of them have a better price.

Mk

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An actual offroad shop that does all makes and models will be best since they at least know about having to remove front diffs for IFS rigs.

$1800-$2000 is the average cost to put 4.10's in a KJ without adding any LSD's or Lockers to that price(shop supplies all parts).

You typical drivetrain shop(trans and diffs) will go by book time to re-gear while offroad shops have a set rate more or less for solid axles at least which can range from $250-$350 just for the gear setup.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean buy a diff off a salvage yard and have them put in gears in that? Or find a 4 cylinder with the 4.10’s?

Either way... they're options to weigh against your budget. Shop rates these days force me to do my own work. :sawzall:

I often use Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market to hunt for parts. Freight may not be too bad. I had a trans shipped from 5 hours plus a ferry ride away for $100.

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I didn’t know that website existed, I’ll take a look at it.

So I shopped online and found the parts they quoted such as gears and tru tracks they inflated the price nearly $400 from what online prices are. That kinda rubs me the wrong way especially when they said they get the best deals. Hopefully one of these other shops that I talk to on Monday handles things better.

Mk