Question on re-gearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I shopped online and found the parts they quoted such as gears and tru tracks they inflated the price nearly $400 from what online prices are. That kinda rubs me the wrong way especially when they said they get the best deals. Hopefully one of these other shops that I talk to on Monday handles things better.

All shops markup their parts... its part of staying in business.

Another reason I do my own work.

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All shops markup their parts... its part of staying in business.

Another reason I do my own work.

I understand that but the guy said to not bother looking because these are the best prices on parts you’ll find and that he’s charging his cost

Mk

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Play it into your corner then... offer to supply the parts. His labour quote shouldn't change. :gr_grin:

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Play it into your corner then... offer to supply the parts. His labour quote shouldn't change. :gr_grin:

Yeah that’s what I was thinking if I can’t find a better price elsewhere.
I’m going to see what this other shop is at, they have s good reputation.

Mk

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I didn’t know that website existed, I’ll take a look at it.

So I shopped online and found the parts they quoted such as gears and tru tracks they inflated the price nearly $400 from what online prices are. That kinda rubs me the wrong way especially when they said they get the best deals. Hopefully one of these other shops that I talk to on Monday handles things better.

Mk

I understand that but the guy said to not bother looking because these are the best prices on parts you’ll find and that he’s charging his cost

Mk
Nobody can compete with "online" prices,nobody can besides another big online store.Those "best online prices" are from massive stores that buy in bulk and no sales tax helps alot as is no need to worry about warranty or anything like that which makes it so they can sell for just above "cost".

Any shop has to get them through there sources which will be just a tad above the "best online prices",then they have to mark it up to make a profit and provide a warranty.

Fewer and fewer places will even allow you to "bring your own parts" nowdays,just to much liability since they can not warranty anything.

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody can compete with "online" prices,nobody can besides another big online store.Those "best online prices" are from massive stores that buy in bulk and no sales tax helps alot as is no need to worry about warranty or anything like that which makes it so they can sell for just above "cost".

Any shop has to get them through there sources which will be just a tad above the "best online prices",then they have to mark it up to make a profit and provide a warranty.

Fewer and fewer places will even allow you to "bring your own parts" nowdays,just to much liability since they can not warranty anything.

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll see what I find out tomorrow.
I appreciate the help.

Mk

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I’m glad I called around and listened to tjk2002 on the parts. This other shop came in just over $900 cheaper for gears, and tru tracs front and rear installed.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Mk

02Geep

Reaction score
I don’t know what prices are there, but here in Fort Worth, I got quoted 1000 to do front and rear to 4.10. He said the opposite-that 4.10 is easier. Anything above that would need a new carrier. I’ve been saving for it, and just in time...my front diff is starting to make weird noises! I would def look around. There are a lot of 4x4 shops in my area though

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what part numbers are for the Detroit tru track front and rear?

Are the rears: 913A569

And the fronts: 912A585

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.