Front end Qs re new KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boueux

Reaction score
Hi, new here, have already made the requisite front end measurements and see the rear is 19” but the front is 18“. We do as much of our own wk as we can, but I’m not a spring compressor. That said, mechanic says the front upper control arms and ball joints are good. the front hubs and bearing assemblies were just done, but mech reported the front struts and strut forks need replacing.

So. Do we need to replace shocks, springs, trust and strut forks? otherwise wouldn’t it have to be taken apart twice and compressed each time? And what should we expect to pay for these parts and the labor? I see OME springs suggested, what shocks? Not made of money but also don’t want to buy junk. Much appreciated.

ELI5 please, these bits are new to me.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
The springs have most likely given everything they have at this point, that’s why she’s sagging. I bought my OME’s pre assembled, so much easier and safer (lol) worth every penny!

https://www.alljproducts.com/gas-kj-ome-lift

I see it has been discontinued :confused: but I’m sure you can find similar pre assembled struts elsewhere.

Last edited:

Boueux

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate your time. :) ELI5 meaning explain like I’m 5 as all of this is new to me.

If the struts and strut forks have broken parts can those be done to start?

We don’t need a lift now, just to get the front 19” back, thanks. Can’t afford do redo all of the way around at once to start, so it will have to cost more over time SMH

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Sure … now that you’re explained the meaning of ELI5 ;)

Half the battle is the terminology… strut, shock ,coil over etc.

The “coil over” is comprised of the shock, spring, top plate, with rubber isolators keeping all the metal parts separated. The “fork” you speak of is (I assume) the “clevis”. That is a separate part that clamps on the bottom of the “coil over” and then to your lower control arm.

The clevis can absolutely be changed out on its own.

If by strut your mech means the shock then you are looking at disassembling your coil over or replacing the whole coil over with one that is pre assembled. There are several to choose from but I cannot recommend any, never used them.

Do you have a pic of the fork/clevis? I would be shocked to see one broken.

Hopefully the wizards will show up shortly…

Last edited:

Boueux

Reaction score
Thanks, again- much appreciated. I’m reading more about this and heres what I think I understand so far. Rocky Road has some OME parts available and say they include instructions..

they’re offering either OME or GR2.. but don’t break down the amount of lift other than saying a .50? Spacer can be used in front to make front and rear equal.. so,
im wondering how to stay 19” at front. I don’t want a literal lift beyond that, just to get back the inch lost due to old struts and springs . Can anyone translate this to reality for me by way of actual products, please?

Last edited:

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very hard to make sense of that website. The 2925 springs are 375 pounds/inch. Another site lists 1.25 - 1.5” lift for those. I put in 2927’s, 400 pounds/inch for a two-inch lift. I think stock springs might be 350 pounds, I know it’s been discussed around here.

I removed the coil overs and took them and the new bits to a 4WD shop for disassembly/reassembly.

Boueux

Reaction score
Thanks @klc @derekj and to @Luke as first responder
the forum is so responsive :) and incredibly informative
much appreciated, Kudos!

Filing this under Stock Shocks

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another cheat is to stuff 2" locknuts between the fork and strut. I've had up to 3 per side in there as my lift evolved. Alternatively, the KK forks are a bit longer and add a little height.

But ultimately, a replacement 'quickstrut' is the proper fix to get back to stock ride height.

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My OME spring, Bilstein strut, RRO upper A-arm, locknut lift rides like a Cadillac compared to stock - parts were just over $1000 3 or 4 years ago. Might seem like a lot but oh so worth it. Look for Tommudd's parts list. You can borrow a spring compressor from Autozone or O'Reilly (I do it with the assembly trapped loosely inside the pipe holding part of my bench vice to save my skull in the event of things coming apart) or just have the coilovers pulled apart and re assembled by a local shop ($100????).

Boueux

Reaction score
Thank you @Shankster @u2slow @klc just like always, more questions ensue....

so, the Clevis Bracket, (or tuning fork-resembling parts that the strut/spring units mount to on right and left in the front)

depicted as 2 in the service manual diagram below

… are these still available OEM or only aftermarket?

Attachments

• IMG_4426.jpeg
    IMG_4426.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s a real ELI5 Q.. what is the tuning fork-resembling bit that the strut/spring units mount to on right and left in the front called? Are these still available OEM or only aftermarket?
That would be the clevis. I see they're still available new some places ($222 ea!!!) but I'd just get a used pair from somewhere west of the rust belt. I do see a rust belt pair on ebay for $115 and they look to be in good shape.

Boueux

Reaction score
Where? lol

Imagine the SHAZAM we experienc today compared
to finding/shipping parts at these Jeeps build dates!

Last edited:

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you @Shankster @u2slow @klc just like always, more questions ensue....

so, the Clevis Bracket, (or tuning fork-resembling parts that the strut/spring units mount to on right and left in the front)

depicted as 2 in the service manual diagram below

… are these still available OEM or only aftermarket?

Where? lol

Imagine the SHAZAM were all experiencing
even compared to these Jeeps build dates!
I doubt anyone would make an aftermarket version but they do appear to be available new OEM at online Mopar stores, like this one. https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com...Right-or-Left--Shock/13731122/52088748AC.html

I consider $222 ea unreasonable though which is why I would go used. Or if you were lifting it anyway you could get new OEM KK liberty clevis (clevi???) which are a fraction of the price for some reason. The KK ones are supposedly 1/2" longer which would translate to more overall lift than that at the wheels. Try some googling - you'll find what you need.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i was hunting for the KK forks, the wrecking yard would only sell the struts/forks together. The top plate for the KK is different, so cant use them complete in the KJ.

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i was hunting for the KK forks, the wrecking yard would only sell the struts/forks together. The top plate for the KK is different, so cant use them complete in the KJ.
The KK clevis seems to be available here for $43.55 ea + shipping:

However, I've bought some stuff off these sites before and turned out after purchasing it wasn't in stock so who knows. Looks like the KK clevis is made from stamped sheetmetal whereas the KJ was cast so that probably explains at least some of the price difference.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I’d still like to see this “broken” clevis… I can’t imagine how it could be trashed without a major incident.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the KK clevis is made from stamped sheetmetal whereas the KJ was cast so that probably explains at least some of the price difference.
Mine were cast like the KJ. Just a bit longer.

I have ordered things from those online oem parts places too. Hit and miss. Stock does dwindle out.