OMED 1.5 Lift Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nickb

Reaction score
OME 1.5 Lift Issues

Hey to all

I installed OME springs (926, 947) and Bilstein shocks (as per the sticky) on my 04 Liberty and I'm having some issues with it.

First, I ended up getting 2.5" inches of lift with it. I know it will settle some but I doubt it will be 1". As it sits now it is 21.5" in the front and 22" in the rear.

Second, the steering does not feel right. If I turn the wheel almost all the way and hit the gas the wheels do start to straighten out. I have to manually turn the steering wheel to bring them back to straight. If anything they start to turn the other way.

Third, the truck leans too much when I take a turn. It almost feels unstable and there is a shake at around 55 mph.

Fourth, the rear shocks look like they are compressed too much when the truck is just sitting there. I haven't taken an actual measurement but it looks like the shocks will bottom out at about 4" inches more compression.

Any comments?

Nick

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well 1st the meduim coils will give a light KJ(no armor or CRD) about 2.5" of lift,no way around that and will settle about 1/2" or so,more if you add armor.

Did you get a alignment? If not that is your handling issues.What shocks did you use?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on alignment. not optional. Take some pictures of rear and maybe front too. Will help diagnose the rear.

Google alignment for the site there are some pre existing threads on caster vs camber to get you tracking straight. Mine even chirped tires post lift pre alignment. Was bad all round till it got staighted.

Grats on new lift was best thing i did to jeep since i bought it.

nickb

Reaction score
I'm not really worried about the height. I'm more worried about the the ride. I'm going to do an alignment next week when I change tires. I guess that would take care of the steering issues but I doubt that will take care of the sway and lean issues. Any advice on that? I saw a thread about wheel spacers. Is that a viable option? Maybe larger tires as well?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Nick

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question. Why do so many people talk about wheel spacers? Are they supposed to change anything significant with handling, or are they just for looks? Seems like they weaken the system slightly, lead to rubbing issues and if I remember right, they aren't even legal everywhere due to safety concerns.

What am I missing?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not really worried about the height. I'm more worried about the the ride. I'm going to do an alignment next week when I change tires. I guess that would take care of the steering issues but I doubt that will take care of the sway and lean issues. Any advice on that? I saw a thread about wheel spacers. Is that a viable option? Maybe larger tires as well?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Nick

Nick,
Until you get an alignment done there is no way it is going to handle well or ride that good. Its enough out of alignment you can't even tell how its going to do.
As far as lean and sway, mine has more lift than what you have and its more stable than it ever was stock on brand new suspension.
Get the alignment ASAP! Then you'll know more the way it is going to handle etc
Until you can get into the shop not much you can do, be very careful driving it

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a question. Why do so many people talk about wheel spacers? Are they supposed to change anything significant with handling, or are they just for looks? Seems like they weaken the system slightly, lead to rubbing issues and if I remember right, they aren't even legal everywhere due to safety concerns.

What am I missing?

Some use them with stock wheels to get the tire/wheel combo out from rubbing on the sway bar etc. Yes they can create more rubbing at times depending on how much lift etc. They are illegal in a few states.
I tried them for 700 miles or so and never noticed any difference in handling. Took them in on trade so thought I would see what everyone was talking about. I would rather have wheels with the right offset than run spacers but that just my opinion

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I had one lift where the person stopped on the way to the alignment shop and was afraid something was going to fall off. They said it felt as though it was the first time trying to ice skate. An hour later after picking it up, he was all smiles talking about how much better it was from even what he remembered when it was new .
Have never had anyone complain about the ride or the handling after a lift was done, always how much better and why did they wait so long.

nickb

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I'm changing tires next week so that's why I haven't done an alignment yet. I will post back after the alignment with results. After all your posts I feel very confident this is the problem.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one lift where the person stopped on the way to the alignment shop and was afraid something was going to fall off. They said it felt as though it was the first time trying to ice skate. An hour later after picking it up, he was all smiles talking about how much better it was from even what he remembered when it was new .
Have never had anyone complain about the ride or the handling after a lift was done, always how much better and why did they wait so long.

Wow that bad? I have driven a truck that wouldn't have steering response until 1 full turn of the steering wheel. That truck has since been remounted thankfully. I keep reading all of this lift stuff, Ill have to do it one of these days.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I'm changing tires next week so that's why I haven't done an alignment yet. I will post back after the alignment with results. After all your posts I feel very confident this is the problem.
I wouldn't drive the KJ till it's aligned.The camber,caster,and toe are so badly out of specs that's it's actually in most cases to dangerous to drive as your only riding on the very outside edges of the front tires.

I have 10" of lift and my KJ feels more stable then it did when it only had 3.75" of lift.Granted I did widen the track by like 10" also,yeah it has some body lean as I do not have a rear swaybar and the front swaybar is about 1/4 effective as the stock KJ's front swaybar.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
same here as far as driving it,
My suggestion is always get the lift on and then the 3-4 miles to get an alignment

nickb

Reaction score
Ball joints have started to make some noise lately. I need to replace them. If I perform a wheel alignment now do I need to perform another one after replacement?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are as bad as in the thread replace them now. your going to need a second alignment in a couple months post lift anyway.

Last edited:

nickb

Reaction score
OK. Here's an update, since I hate seeing threads with problems and no follow ups. Had the lower ball joints replaced. Had a wheel alignment done. Steering is back to normal. Love the new ride even though truck leans on turns a little more than before but I expected that.

Bad news is the passenger side upper ball joint seems to be bad as well. It bangs if I hit a big enough pot hole. I just have to decide weather I replace with OEM or go to JBA's.

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad news is the passenger side upper ball joint seems to be bad as well. It bangs if I hit a big enough pot hole. I just have to decide weather I replace with OEM or go to JBA's.

did you install bump stops?

nickb

Reaction score
did you install bump stops?

Yes. Double hockey pucks in the back and Terraflex (what a PITA) in the front.
I'm still worried about the rear shocks (Bilstein F4-BE5-A702-H0). They look like they are too compressed. I'll try to take a picture and post it.

On a separate note, what can I do to get the new springs and shocks to break in as quickly as possible? How long does it normally take under normal conditions?

Thanks for the replies so far. They are greatly appreciated.

Nick