OME 2927 Spring Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a photo of their 2927 OME spring install? I'm mounting it with some bilsteins and the spring looks pretty tight and wont have much travel. Wondering if this is normal or if I'm just being paranoid. I also bottomed out the nut for the strut (shock). Pic to come.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell for sure since you have OEM shocks, but it does appear the gap on your springs is wider. Your nut also had fewer threads showing on the shaft (likely due to different manufacturers). Did you bottom yours out on the shock or did you leave a little gap?

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you mean the Clevis, it’s flush against the plate.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a shop do the assembly of the coilover, no gaps observed. I can say it works fine.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a shop do the assembly of the coilover, no gaps observed. I can say it works fine.
Yeah I am the shop, which is why I'm looking at this thinking it doesn't look right. The lower seat insulator is pretty squished too.

I'm think the issue might be the bilstein is a tad short. I'll bring in some OME and compare the length of the shocks

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at other peoples photos, I see the odd one that has some spacers between the shock and the strut plate. I think I will try that out and see how it goes. I have a feeling that the spring seats being new haven't compressed and are causing my springs to compress more than they should.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your setup looks just fine how it is. Perhaps you're right about the fresh spring isolators causing slightly less room for the spring currently. Sure there's not a big gap between each coil, but if you add up all those gaps that's more travel than the shock is capable of, which is exactly what you want.
here's mine, same setup as you with fresh isolators. It is a bilstein shock, just painted.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your setup looks just fine how it is. Perhaps you're right about the fresh spring isolators causing slightly less room for the spring currently. Sure there's not a big gap between each coil, but if you add up all those gaps that's more travel than the shock is capable of, which is exactly what you want.
here's mine, same setup as you with fresh isolators. It is a bilstein shock, just painted.
Yeah our spring compression looks very similar. Did you assemble yours on a press? You have balls of steel if you did.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah our spring compression looks very similar. Did you assemble yours on a press? You have balls of steel if you did.
Yes using adapters from a ball joint press kit. I'm not suggesting it, but it actually felt pretty secure. I also did a makeshift safety net around the whole press and shock with ratchet straps. So if it came loose it wouldn't go flying.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes using adapters from a ball joint press kit. I'm not suggesting it, but it actually felt pretty secure. I also did a makeshift safety net around the whole press and shock with ratchet straps. So if it came loose it wouldn't go flying.
Nice call with the safety stuff. Springs are always sketchy at the best of times.

kylejeep

Reaction score
So I haven't seen this mentioned before, but I noticed it on my new stuff and then saw it in this picture.
Where the upper iso and mounting plate have the grooves/semi-circle cutouts lined up, is that a requirement?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I haven't seen this mentioned before, but I noticed it on my new stuff and then saw it in this picture.
Where the upper iso and mounting plate have the grooves/semi-circle cutouts lined up, is that a requirement?
I don't think so, but it does put the very tip of the coil into the plate rather than a relief like where the studs are. It just seemed logical. I figured they might have a purpose and it all fit together well when lined up.

kylejeep

Reaction score
I don't think so, but it does put the very tip of the coil into the plate rather than a relief like where the studs are. It just seemed logical. I figured they might have a purpose and it all fit together well when lined up.
That makes sense.

Unfortunately I didn't mention it to the guy that assembled mine. Hopefully I don't have any trouble.

I saw Tom Mudd mention in one post that, based on some problem someone was having with lining the clevis up, the tech must've assemble the shocks incorrectly. He didn't elaborate on how it could be incorrect...

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes sense.

Unfortunately I didn't mention it to the guy that assembled mine. Hopefully I don't have any trouble.

I saw Tom Mudd mention in one post that, based on some problem someone was having with lining the clevis up, the tech must've assemble the shocks incorrectly. He didn't elaborate on how it could be incorrect...
The clevis only goes on one way - the bottom of the shock has a raised line in it that lines up with the groove in the clevis - just helps to keep the shock assy from turning, but if your top plate isn't lined up correctly with the groove the clevis won't line up with the bolt hole in the lca.

kylejeep

Reaction score
The clevis only goes on one way - the bottom of the shock has a raised line in it that lines up with the groove in the clevis - just helps to keep the shock assy from turning, but if your top plate isn't lined up correctly with the groove the clevis won't line up with the bolt hole in the lca.
Thanks for the comment. That made so much sense until I looked at my Bilstein 24-139168...it's smooth all around.

It seems like a good thing since I don't know if the tech would've known and I sure didn't know. Maybe the OME shocks have the groove?

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comment. That made so much sense until I looked at my Bilstein 24-139168...it's smooth all around.

It seems like a good thing since I don't know if the tech would've known and I sure didn't know. Maybe the OME shocks have the groove?
Maybe just the jobber parts (Monroe's etc) have the groove - I haven't installed a set of OME's so can't answer that question.

Members online

No members online now.