OME lift with or without Als A-arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jggv98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planning to order and put the OME Medium Duty springs and Struts (and shocks also for the rear) with out clevis lift and/or spacers, im looking only for 1.5-2" lift, do i need the Als A-Arms or not?

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, no. A competent alignment guy will have no trouble getting the KJs front end in spec.

Tire size will not affect suspension geometery post lift.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
and a third ....NO
I ran mine at 3.5 inches plus lift for over 70,000 miles and they were still good.
I would check them close to make sure they are OK but other wise
like above.....

jggv98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok tks, now i understand that i dont need to spend in the ALs arm after the 3rd NO!, so when is this arm necessary? what is the difference between this and the stock one?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Exact same lift as you're getting, no issues aligning it.

JBA arms help cure coil/ Upper A arm contact, but not everyone gets it.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
When you go over 3.75 inches I would say!
Then you will want after market upper control arms...

Should you get to that height, then only buy Al's upper A arms.
Not the Rip off and duplication Rocky Road Out fitters upper control arms.
Do a search on RRO and you will be informed as to why!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok tks, now i understand that i dont need to spend in the ALs arm after the 3rd NO!, so when is this arm necessary? what is the difference between this and the stock one?
It varies greatly from one KJ to another if you can get back into alignmnet after any lift regardless of what UCA's you use.After '02 they deleted the cradle centering bolts that gave '02 KJ's more adjustment and "zeroing" the cam bolts also helps.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've gathered (mostly here), the BEST reason to go with the JBA's Upper Arms is that the ball joint is now at the correct angle, and it is replacable. They do also help bring the aginment back into spec as well.

Your current upper ball joint is not replaceble, and when it wears out, you must buy the entire upper arm assembly anyway - Why not upgrade at the same time?

I'm running an OME lift, and was able to get most of the front end aligned with only the caster being slightly below spec. When the UBJ's start getting tired, I'll be contacting Jeepin' By Al for some new ones...

Moab

Reaction score
When you go over 3.75 inches I would say!
Then you will want after market upper control arms...

Should you get to that height, then only buy Al's upper A arms.
Not the Rip off and duplication Rocky Road Out fitters upper control arms.
Do a search on RRO and you will be informed as to why!

This is where I'm sitting at about 3.75 and Al's UCA's are great because they do put the angles back to where you want them.
But, my Lib ran for years at 2.5" with stock arms with the previous owner.

jggv98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alignment after OME lift

It varies greatly from one KJ to another if you can get back into alignmnet after any lift regardless of what UCA's you use.After '02 they deleted the cradle centering bolts that gave '02 KJ's more adjustment and "zeroing" the cam bolts also helps.

So I understand that after any lift the KJ will not get the proper alignment like the stock lift? How bad can be this driving at higher speeds?

Moab

Reaction score
You actually can lift over 3" without using the aftermarket UCA's it just will have a pretty big angle at the ball joint but it will align and work. The replacement UCA puts a better angle at the ball joint and is a little longer.
There are plenty here lifted using original UCA's and there are aligned within specs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So I understand that after any lift the KJ will not get the proper alignment like the stock lift? How bad can be this driving at higher speeds?
The "specs" for any vehicle has a range of what is acceptable in terms of wear and handling, when stock most are sit up basically in the center of those specs, ( not always but close)
after lifting you can get them "in spec" although it maybe in the outer fringes of those specs
If done right it will still handle great and the tires will not wear from being way out or anything like that

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

On my '02 what should I look for at the cam and where are centering bolts (the other bolt at the cam?) Will try to find an alignment place that will give me a written report for before and after, and maybe a good idea to take some pics of the front components to do the same...

A tiny bit worried about UCA ball joints as they are original but will probably disconnect them for my lift install to get a close look and check. I thought there was a recall on uppers as well as lowers but can't find anything in Canada to that effect.

(Getting free UCAs would be nice, or just wait awhile and see about JBAs)