Oil options for 90k+ motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slippry

Reaction score
Ive been reading through some of the older posts regarding motor oils and oil change intervals. After reading about synthetics I was wondering on an engine that has over 90,000 miles on it should I use regular synthetic or opt for the high mileage oil stuff? Also the Mobil 1 extended performance does it really last 15k miles?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have had about 14 vehicles that I ran up into the 250,000 / 275,000 mile range ( before I sold them) and never did anything different as far as oil etc.

Just like tjkj stated, change it on a regular basis and use a good filter

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Pennzoil btw.

In your case I would go for Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and a good quality Purolator PureOne or Fram XG filter. 3k OCI.

After a few OCI of Pennzoil Platinum, you can make the jump to German Castrol or Castrol Edge.

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There he goes ranting on the Fram again... You guys seriously need to send me money or a case of those filters you use, cause around here they are overly priced for what they are.

I went 200k on our minivan running Castrol GTX and Fram filters... Now my sister is still driving it.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There he goes ranting on the Fram again... You guys seriously need to send me money or a case of those filters you use, cause around here they are overly priced for what they are.

I went 200k on our minivan running Castrol GTX and Fram filters... Now my sister is still driving it.
Well some people are misinformed or base their opinions on obsolete data...Anyway, Fram Extended Guard FTW!

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I pay $0.50 cents more for a Napa Gold(WIX) filter over the basic Fram,WIX is widely known as one of the best oil filters in the world.

MickityMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it is one of the best in the world, but I can't imagine it matters if you're a trooper about changing it out every 3k?

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure it is one of the best in the world, but I can't imagine it matters if you're a trooper about changing it out every 3k?

You rang?
You must be registered for see images

And no, for the most part, it's NOT that big of a deal what you use. It's just that those of us who are ultra ****-retentive (like ThunderbirdJunkie) prefer to use a higher end oil because it makes them feel warm and fuzzy inside.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just change your oil/filter every 3000 miles with quality oil/filter and don't worry,use what you want besides Fram filters and Pennzoil and you really can't go wrong.

Umm. You forgot SuperTech. DON"T USE SUPER TECH. It's worse that FRAM and Penssoil.

Even Ford's Motorcraft brand is a much better choice than either.

Last edited:

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well are you still running on regular oil?

If so I recommend you first switch to a semi synthetic the next time. Change after 3,000 miles.

After that one switch to full synthetic and change every 4,000-5,000 miles for the remainder of the engines life. (Note it’s pointless to change a synthetic oil every 3k miles. It's a big waste of oil). I use Mobil 1. I have also heard that Royal Purple is top notch too.

If you opt to get the Mobil 1 Ext performance I wouldn't run it for 15,000 miles (even though it would probably work). If you get the extended performance I'd change it every 7,500 miles.

Also make sure you use a good filter such as a Purolator or Napa

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Pennzoil btw.

Oh, no no no...See, Pennzoil is made from paraffinic crude. See, that makes it the 'zact same thing as paraffin wax. So, if you're gonna run Pennzoil, might as well just throw a few candles in your engine. Same thing, only cheaper! Anybody knows anything knows that!

One more thing: never use oil with moly in it. Them moly particles is sooo big! Why, in a tight-clearance engine like the Libby's, they'll just cause all sorts of mischief!

I know these things is true, cause I done read what some Einstein posted on the in-ter-net.

Slippry

Reaction score
Well are you still running on regular oil?

If so I recommend you first switch to a semi synthetic the next time. Change after 3,000 miles.

After that one switch to full synthetic and change every 4,000-5,000 miles for the remainder of the engines life. (Note it’s pointless to change a synthetic oil every 3k miles. It's a big waste of oil). I use Mobil 1. I have also heard that Royal Purple is top notch too.

If you opt to get the Mobil 1 Ext performance I wouldn't run it for 15,000 miles (even though it would probably work). If you get the extended performance I'd change it every 7,500 miles.

Also make sure you use a good filter such as a Purolator or Napa

I was just about to ask about time intervals between changes. Since many of you said 3k miles instead of 5k for synthetic is it because my engine is older? Or should I be fine with 5k intervals like Loves_off_roading said? Also I don't know what oil has been used in the vehicle because I have had it only for a week now. Also since I just purchased the vehicle is there any other maintenance I should be looking at right now? I know the dealership I got it from does one of those thousand+ point inspections but I'm not sure what all they did to the vehicle and what needs to be done now.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just throwing this in like I usually do:

www.amsoil.com

get the EA oil filter. You'll actually save money. But, I'm sure some will slap me.

I change about every 10 - 11K miles. I used to be controlled by the 3000 mile thing. Then I made cigarettes stop controlling me and shortly after that I switched to amsoil. On my 5th year. Just started on the 3rd in my current Jeep.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just about to ask about time intervals between changes. Since many of you said 3k miles instead of 5k for synthetic is it because my engine is older? Or should I be fine with 5k intervals like Loves_off_roading said? Also I don't know what oil has been used in the vehicle because I have had it only for a week now. Also since I just purchased the vehicle is there any other maintenance I should be looking at right now? I know the dealership I got it from does one of those thousand+ point inspections but I'm not sure what all they did to the vehicle and what needs to be done now.
If going beyond the factory recommended 3000 mile interval you should always do a UOA to make sure the oil is still good,that goes for any oil including full synthetic oils.

Over 90% of all the ASE Master Certified Tech's recommend the 3000mile oil changes from experience in the field.Oh by the way most Mater Tech's do not change oil,there experience and pay makes doing a oil change a money loosing venture for the shop they are employed at so it's not just to have more work.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm... $.50 more for WIX filters?? Dude you gotta tell us where you shop cause your always posting super cheap prices.

Around here the WIX filter at the nearest NAPA store is twice the cost of any other filter i can buy.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, no no no...See, Pennzoil is made from paraffinic crude. See, that makes it the 'zact same thing as paraffin wax. So, if you're gonna run Pennzoil, might as well just throw a few candles in your engine. Same thing, only cheaper! Anybody knows anything knows that!

One more thing: never use oil with moly in it. Them moly particles is sooo big! Why, in a tight-clearance engine like the Libby's, they'll just cause all sorts of mischief!

I know these things is true, cause I done read what some Einstein posted on the in-ter-net.
I know that Pennzoil had a real bad reputation way back when. But their Platinum oil seems to have changed that. People over at BITOG praise it for being a really good Group III synthetic oil which cleans your engine quite well. That's the only reason why I suggested he use PP for the first OCI, then switch over to a real synthetic like GC, M1 EP, Edge, Amsoil,...

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I agree. I've used Fram filters since the late 1960's and have never had an oil related failure on any of my vehicles in those 40+ years. I usually hold onto my cars for at least 100-150k. I better go find some wood to knock on. Never mind, I'll use my head;)
Bruce