First (for me) Oil Change ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boueux

Reaction score
It’s cool, just trying to learn all of these ins and out at once :)
i found a three armed filter remover at WM that fits.. it’s the smaller one for under 2.something to 3.something inches..

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
It was of those strap wrenches I destroyed trying to remove my filter, & it was a new one at that, the 1/2" drive opened up like a rose in bloom. With hindsight, I suppose I should've used a socket on the external hex (but I've been using one of these for so long, the strap's been repaired twice!)

However, the real problem for this application is the difficulty in locating the strap round the filter, & then keeping it in place while loose, before you can start tightening it in place.

As for textured filters, afaik, they're only made by Fram, so not an option. Besides, removing the one you fitted yourself isn't likely to be a problem (just awkward, on a V6); it's the one installed by the last klutz that will cause grief.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noted the size and flute count of that wrench (76mm 14 flute) and purchased another one.....

Sorry, I meant to say 74mm 15 flute

MarkG

Reaction score
Glad it's raining today in North Texas. Gives me a chance to read Jeep KJ and other forums I'm on.

I added a quart of oil to my '03 3.7L 160K mile Renegade a few days ago and almost spilled it out due to that %#@ baffle. I didn't know you could pull baffle and fill. Learned something.

When I bought the Jeep... wow! going on ~6 years ago it went thru a couple quarts oil quickly between changes. I discovered the PVC was missing. Replaced by a right angle fitting. I installed the correct PVC and reduced oil consumption to 1 quart between 4-5K mile changes. Not all convinced it was THE reason but surely dropped oil use to roughly a quart between changes.

Yeah, that filter is a pain. I had my long time customer KWIK KAR do the first after purchase oil change on it and that 22yo young buck had a hell of a time breaking the filter loose and he was in a pit!!!

We've moved since then and had a local Fast Lane do two changes. First change took some time to do while I waited and half a$$ watched them. Second time I sat in waiting room and the change seemed quicker than typical.... I get home and that filter looks old.... can't prove it as I didn't look at it before going in... Relearned BUYER BEWARE.

Now, considering if this 67yo wants to tackle oil changes plus differentials, AT and transfer case, plus coolant fluids as prices have gotten crazy high. Thanks Covid, etc....

The Jeep is my tow behind my Class A RV and I have other cars to drive while I put this one in my shop.

So, this forum plus shop manuals plus YT videos are teaching me what's involved before I DIY or farm it out and all have been a great help!

Thanks to all for your stories, warnings, guidance and help.

Boueux

Reaction score
Rainy days are great for study.. so many great past threads here. Slowly learning the ropes, this site has saved me large amounts of time and frustration!

Weather Channel report in the sidebar today says

Winter is 65% done!

Looking forward to better hood up weather ;)

Reactions: klc

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t know anything about KJ’s when I stumbled in here two years ago. Six months later I was installing the lift; I’ve never done anything like that before.

Boueux

Reaction score
I hear you. this is the newest car I’ve ever worked on. Restored two bone-stock 66-77 Ford Broncos, uncut, 302 V8s. Never worked on nothing with any eLeCtRoNicS like this before! Sheesh. It’s a WHOLE new world to me.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear you. this is the newest car I’ve ever worked on. Restored two bone-stock 66-77 Ford Broncos, uncut, 302 V8s. Never worked on nothing with any eLeCtRoNicS like this before! Sheesh. It’s a WHOLE new world to me.
I drove a ‘73 Beetle for ten years, and then I didn’t do any wrenching for about fifteen years before I got the Jeep.

Boueux

Reaction score
All of these different engines foster adaptability! ;)

Latest posts

Members online